Servicing the FZ6 myself??

ms.xentrix

Reaction score
Visit site
My bike is due for a service & I thought why not try and do the oil & oil filter change myself. Only thing is i'm not mechanically minded at all, but I can generally work things out.

I read the "how to change your oil" thread in the how to section & it seems pretty simple.

Would it be a good idea that I try it myself or am I better off getting it serviced with a mechanic like I did with my 250?

I did wonder though reading through the oil & oil filter threads (which became very confusing), can I get all those in Aus? and can I just go to a normal Auto shop or will I need to go to a Yamaha shop?

And if I was to do it myself, whats the worst that could happen if I were to do something wrong?

Sorry if im asking such noob questions lol

Changing the oil and filter yourself is easy :thumbup: not only does it save you a fortune, it gets you working on your bike and will lead to improving your mechanical skills!

Just make sure you have all the tools you need BEFORE starting the job, you've already read the 'how to change your oil' thread so you're half way there. You need special motorbike engine oil, not car stuff though. You can get lots of info on good brands on here. My advice would be choose a good brand, not a cheapo one, and if you are still in doubt go to a motorbike shop who can further advise.

Remember - don't screw on your new filter too tight!!!!!!!!!

Good luck, and let us know how you get on :Flash:

thanks for the quick reply!

yeh it looks simple enough, and I dont really wanna pay someone $200+ if I can do it myself.

Will update on how I go :thumbup: gonna give it a go tomorrow :D

thanks for the quick reply!

yeh it looks simple enough, and I dont really wanna pay someone $200+ if I can do it myself.

Will update on how I go :thumbup: gonna give it a go tomorrow :D

You should be fine, i aint got much idea, and i can do it....In fact, there's not that much you cant do yourself, servicing wise.

:thumbup:

You can probably buy your oil and filter either online or at any motorcycle shop. The filter is common to many bikes ie Honda CBR600f.

Hi Ms. Xentrix,

I was a little apprehensive at first with these 2 changes (They were my first things I decided to do also), but the support and knowlege around in these forums are fantastic.
And yes, it got me thinking about bigger and better things ;) (2Bro exhaust, K&N air filter, replaced clutch cable, and just more confident with taking bits apart, tinkering, fixing, cleaning, and putting it back on - in hopefully the right order)

I've also just finished reading "The Essential Guide to Motorcycle Maintenance" by Mark Zimmerman. Quite detailed and enlightening!

Make sure you read this thread, making sure you choose the oil of your choice see the service manual for a guide (Doesn't have to be Yamaha stuff).

Enjoy!

Good luck! It's really not hard.

Bit short notice for tomorrow, but anything else you're wanting to try to do on the bike, since you work in Muchea, you're more than welcome to use our shed and get a little help from Prebstar and myself :)

Good luck! It's really not hard.

Bit short notice for tomorrow, but anything else you're wanting to try to do on the bike, since you work in Muchea, you're more than welcome to use our shed and get a little help from Prebstar and myself :)

Thanks for the offer:thumbup:

Could end up being quite helpful in the future :D

If I can do it anyone can. Unlike Mr. "i aint got much idea" Wolfman who probably knows more about FZ6's than most mechanics.

There isn't much use looking at international threads about what oil to get, try the aussie thread, its hanging around and there are two pretty clear winners from memory, both being motul, with a slight difference in price.
As others said get all your tools ready! Maybe drop in to supercheap of similar and get an oil pan, it makes your job MUCH easier.
A filter with a nut welded on also helps make the job easier although as people mentioned, you don't want to overtighten it putting it on, but they can be a bugger to get off!

As long as your careful its about as danger free a job (for you and the bike) as they come. Oh just make sure you know which way to turn the sump bolt, I've heard you can crack your sump otherwise. Not that I would ever have done that myself on my first attempt.

Also getting someone experienced to help the first time is a huge plus. I had someone who was more interested in being a smartass than helping the first time (was on my FZX250) and it turned into a nightmare.

I think the best advice is to have someone who knows how to service motorized vehicles to look over your shoulder the first time. Next, make sure you have all the required tools before you start. Another thing I do before I work on any car or motorcycle is get the process down in my head before I start. That means study the manual, know the steps on how things are suppose to come off and on, etc. Most mechanical work is easy, but there are always a few key steps, if left out, will cause major problems. Most guys who have been working on cars and MCs for years take it for granted the little cardinal rules that could cause an inexperienced person great grief.

1. Use your hand to start threading a bolt, nut or filter and make sure it goes on easy. Never force a bolt, nut or filter on a vehicle. Make sure you know which direction tights and loosens a bolt, nut, filter.

2. Over filling your oil can cause more damage then under filling so know the oil capacity of your engine.

3. Over tightening an oil filter could cause it to leak by over compressing the rubber seal. Most car filters go on hand tight but that is usually someone who has pretty strong hands. Tighten the oil filter with your hands then give it a little twist with the filter wrench so that it's good and snug.

4. Lube the filter seal with new oil and add a little oil into the filter prior to installing it to aid in initial oil flow through the filter. Clean the surface on the engine where the oil filter seal goes up against. Do the same for the oil drain bolt and the bolt surface on the engine. Make sure the seal from the old filter is still on the old filter, if not check the engine surface for the old seal.

4. What if the oil filter won't come off because some yahoo wrenched it on too tight? You would want to get a experienced person to help you or a better oil filter wrench. There is a technique using a phillips screwdriver but that is only for experienced folks so I am not going to go into that.

Basically it comes down to knowing how things work and why and what could go wrong if a you don't complete each step of the maintenance properly. If in doubt, stop and recheck the maintenance manual then proceed.

After taking my bike to a dealer for the first oil change and looking at the bill, I suddenly felt the need to learn how to do it myself. So, with no experience, I just went with the stock oil and filter.

First, I removed the oil drain bolt and the oil missed my pan completely, making a huge mess. Take good care at this step, and this won't happen to you. Also, my filter was over tightened by the good folks at yamaha, and would not budge. Like others mentioned, there is a technique with a screwdriver, but it is messy and if it goes bad, could only make things worse.

Lots of things went wrong for me, but it was a huge learning experience. The thread that was posted is very useful, and with that, you should be able to get though it no problems. Also, the K&N oil filters are very nice for the future as they have the nut bolted on them, making torquing it and removal easy. I also recommend torquing any bolts, and if you have not used a torque wrench before, be sure you read the directions.

thanks all for the advice :thumbup:

I know one person who rides bikes, he has often offered to help me when it comes to things like this but when the time comes for me to ask him he is always busy or has stuff to do. I have come to the conclusion that Ill just have to learn myself!

I found the aussie oil thread, so will get either the Motul 5100 0r 7100, from what I read the 7100 is better?

In terms of oil filters, is it easy to get the ones listed in the "oil filters that will fit" thread in Aus? The K & N filter sounds like they are easiest with the bolt attatched, but they appear to be on the non-recommended list.

I will buy a torque wrench & oil filter wrench, if i'm gonna do this i'm gonna do it right lol

I do my own oil changes. I admit I was a a bit put off at first, but I had no problems. Even started dabbling into mods on the FZ1 :rockon:

Sounds like you've done your research, so you"ll be fine! Hope you'll keep us up to date on how it goes.

OH and :welcome:

Last edited:
thanks all for the advice :thumbup:

I know one person who rides bikes, he has often offered to help me when it comes to things like this but when the time comes for me to ask him he is always busy or has stuff to do. I have come to the conclusion that Ill just have to learn myself!

I found the aussie oil thread, so will get either the Motul 5100 0r 7100, from what I read the 7100 is better?

In terms of oil filters, is it easy to get the ones listed in the "oil filters that will fit" thread in Aus? The K & N filter sounds like they are easiest with the bolt attatched, but they appear to be on the non-recommended list.

I will buy a torque wrench & oil filter wrench, if i'm gonna do this i'm gonna do it right lol
Motul 7100 can be hard to get. We use 5100 - we usually get it from North City Motorcycles in Joondalup.

We just replaced our oil filters - both K&N - got them from an ebay site in the UK - a lot cheaper than over here.

Motul 7100 can be hard to get. We use 5100 - we usually get it from North City Motorcycles in Joondalup.

We just replaced our oil filters - both K&N - got them from an ebay site in the UK - a lot cheaper than over here.

thanks for that!

I'm only in Butler so will make my way to north city motorcycles to get oil :D

Since I want to do it today, might just put up with whatever price the K&N filters are here and order over the net for next time :thumbup:

If you're going K&N you probably won't need the OEM filter socket (as I believe they have the nut on the end), except to get this one off, but if you're looking at using the OEM filters, then my advice is to go and spend the $19-odd at Yamaha on the oil filter socket. After you've tried a couple different strap, and band type tools, and resorted to screw drivering the filter out you'll wish you had.:thumbup:

I actually like to drop my oil when I've finished with the bike for the day, and rip out the filter. next morning, a little oil on the new filter 'O'ring and in it goes.

Get yourself a nice container with measures on the side, and a long funnel-like spout, and put in your oil (after you know how much to put in exactly, you can just go off the measures, and it'll be spot on....much quicker than tipping and dipping.)

well its done :thumbup:

Was not hard at all, worst part was undoing the bolt to drain the oil.. was on pretty tight! other than that I had no problems, took a while though (bout an hour and a half :eek:) because I was double checking everything I was doing.

Glad to have accomplished something like that though :D even though it was something minor, at least now I might have confidence to do other things when the time comes!

well its done :thumbup:

Was not hard at all, worst part was undoing the bolt to drain the oil.. was on pretty tight! other than that I had no problems, took a while though (bout an hour and a half :eek:) because I was double checking everything I was doing.

Glad to have accomplished something like that though :D even though it was something minor, at least now I might have confidence to do other things when the time comes!

Cool! Glad to see you got through it without drama...and dont believe a word Kris says, i really dont know that much about working on bikes, but my mates do, and i am learning...

What oil did you end up using, and did you get the K&N filter?

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I got the Motul 5100 & ended up getting the stock filter, will look at buying some other filters off the net for the next service :D

Back