Shark RSF3 vs. Shoei RF-1000

element192

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Everyone,

I'm sure helmet comparisons are pretty worn out on this site, but just in case anyone has any opinions to throw out there I would appreciate it.

I've tried on both of these helmets and they both fit well (medium with the Shoei and small with the Shark). I really like the look of both helmets (I'm going for matte black, so graphics don't really play into this).

Does anyone have a preference for either of these helmets? They both get great reviews, Shark seems to have a lot of strong reviews behind them and is seen as an up and coming brand in the States.

Sportbiketrackgear.com has great deals on both of the helmets. I am planning on ordering a dark smoke shield for either helmet for daytime riding so the price difference between the two helmets is about $60 more for the Shoei.

Any suggestions??? I'm torn!!!

Thanks in advance

mercm3

newbie still dammit
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a shark helmet (different model rsr2) and I love it. I have also heard good things about shoei I don't think you could go wrong with either I think I'd worry about fitment more oh and if the snell standard is important to you I believe only the Shoei is Snell compliant while the shark is ECE 22.05 compliant. Also helmets I was told have a shelf life so that might be a deciding factor based on the newer made helmet.

nsikes

Reaction score
Visit site
I have that exact Shoei in that exact color and absolutely love it.

It is a million times quieter than the cheapo HBC I used to have. I also have the dark smoke visor, and find that I can use it even at night.

The helmet feels great and I have been using it for about 3000 miles this year. The matte portion shows bugs easy, and takes some elbow grease to get them off, but the visor cleans easily and hasn't scratched yet:thumbup:

So I would go for the Shoei, but then again I have never had a shark on my big mellon...

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the RF-1000 and love it. But, it does have some quirks. First, the liner is not removable. Second, the helmet CAN be quiet, with all the vents closed, but if you open all the vents, it can get noisy enough to warrant ear plugs all the time. What I do like about it is the venting for cool air though, never mind the noise increase. Also, the visor has 7 hard stops that don't close on you at speed like a Z1R helmet.

GSBandit6

Reaction score
Visit site
I have been riding with a RF-1000 for about a month and a half and I love it. It's light, quiet and its as comfortable after 6 hours in the saddle as 30 minutes. I looked at the Sharks but could not find anyone locally who carried them. If the fit, comfort and weight are about the same, I'd look at the SHARP tests or Snell's testing to see which has the better safety rating. That was one of the deciding factors on my Shoei purchase.

element192

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, everyone. Those are kind of the replies I was expecting because Shark is so new to the U.S. and Shoei is so well established. Anyone with any experience with the RSF3 or has it not been on the market long enough?

vdbergj1

Manna
Reaction score
Visit site
My wife and I got the Shark RSF3. Its great! Shoei was just a bit more expensive and I had to buy 2. Shark is very popular in South Africa. I don't think you could go wrong with either of them. I can't compare because this is my first road helmet, I could only say that I'm still very happy with my choice.

This is the one we have.
View attachment 21202