Side-Pod rear signals

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
Preface:

I made a custom exhaust and wound up melting my rear turn signals, the wiring and stalks. Luckily I had an integrated taillight, so that worked, but I didn't feel that comfortable with it. So I decided to make new turn signals. In making the new exhaust, I'd slimmed down the tail end and made it sexier and sleeker, so I wasn't about to put a could large and bulky signals on it again (plus they would melt off, again). I brain stormed a bit and here's where I landed.

Design:
I started off with a pair of flexible amber LED strips I got off of amazon - ([ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B9Q63IW/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]These[/ame]) Mine weren't as amber as they are in the picture, more of an orange than a yellow, but it's okay.
There are 9 LEDs on each strip, and I figured they would look great tucked into the sidepods that house all of my rear end wiring and fuses. They're a bit of a flexible, soft silicon material, so you can bend them to fit the shape (a little, too much and you'd probably crack the internal wiring).

I started by drilling 7/32'' holes in the side pods
pkjVWUN.jpg

After I had the holes drilled I tried to squeeze the strip in - Like a glove. 7/32nds is small enough that it's a tight squeeze (didn't even need glue to hold them in place) (had to trim a bit of the plastic on that stud that connects the pod to the frame)
Y7uoxIA.jpg

Testing my lights with a 9v battery (they get brighter)
Kwr1cLd.jpg

Installed - at night - not as bright as the Motodynamic integrated one - but it's mainly in case people don't see that little guy.
Q6GdB9O.jpg

Overall, I'm happy with them - they add more side visibility and rear visibility to your turn signals - a very important thing if you're currently only using an integrated taillight - and they're sexy. I wish they were a little brighter, but I'll have to swap bikes with my roommate and see what it looks like from a distance.

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That's a cool idea! Even though they fit snug temperature variations have a way of working thing loose so you might run a bead of silicone on each side of the light strips to keep them in place.

Now you're a member of the, "Pod Mod Squad!" :rockon:

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
That's a cool idea! Even though they fit snug temperature variations have a way of working thing loose so you might run a bead of silicone on each side of the light strips to keep them in place.

Now you're a member of the, "Pod Mod Squad!" :rockon:

Good point - temperature varies a lot here - I was going to go without so that I could pull them out to repaint my pods again - sometimes my passengers thighs will rub the matte black off a bit. Silicone would be easy enough to remove in that case though. :)

What else have other members of the 'squad' done to their pods?

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, the president updated that photo and now has one at night, which as you all know if you've taken pictures of turn signals at night - is worthless too.