• Hand typed

Votes: 8 19.0%

• Total voters

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
How many of you click on the Smilies to add them and how many know how to type them into the message by hand?

J

jsteinb95

Well....it depends....if I see it to the right, I will click, but I still type the easy ones like; :D :) ;) :( Majority of the time, I type them....hello, I added half of these and named 'em!!! :D

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Point an click for me too, I spend a lot of time on another forum that has no smilies/avatars/sigs.. etc, so don't really know any of the formats...lol

But, same as ant_mb... I always end my post with one of ...

:)

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know them all, by a long shot, but I know the ones I like to use most. :D

:steve:
;)
:p
:iconbeer:

gforce2002

Reaction score
Visit site
I try to never use them, actually. I find the animated ones especially make posts harder to read. I'm an administrator on a TV related web site and we don't even allow them (or signatures for that matter). If you have to read every post in every thread to moderate, those get pretty hard on the eyes really fast! I don't find they're really overused here, though. I've seen some other sites where people put twenty smilies at the close of their post and then have a signature that takes up 1/2 the screen. And then they double post!

Last edited:

boo68

I'm a girl dammit!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I do both. but my favorite is :steve: and if it is shown I just click.. since it is there.

mdr

Reaction score
Visit site
I try to never use them, actually. I find the animated ones especially make posts harder to read. I'm an administrator on a TV related web site and we don't even allow them (or signatures for that matter). If you have to read every post in every thread to moderate, those get pretty hard on the eyes really fast! I don't find they're really overused here, though. I've seen some other sites where people put twenty smilies at the close of their post and then have a signature that takes up 1/2 the screen. And then they double post!

If I had to read every post I'd just write a Python program to remove the smiley from the post first. Should take about 50 lines of code. I used to administer an email site with about a hundred thousand users so writing short stuff like that was common. You find ways to cheat after a while :eek:

I like the added expressiveness of the smiley family. Pure text is a poor medium of communication - so thanks to the admins for accomodating us. :thumbup:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
A little of (a) and a little of (b). How come this site requires : before and after the smiley name? The second : adds ~0.0000345 seconds to each of my posts!!! :mad:

:justkidding:

I don't use them.
At all.

You should consider it. It's often hard to decipher tone/attitude when only provided with plain text. Something tells me people might take you the wrong way ;) Smilies could help avoid this.

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't use them.
At all.:spank::thumbup::rockon:

Here, I'll do it for ya...