Soft Luggage Question

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Ogio bags....they are really nice.
But since I don't have an FZ6, I can't offer any assisitance on the exhaust question.
I'm sure someone will be able to help...travel safe!

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Ogio bags....they are really nice.
But since I don't have an FZ6, I can't offer any assisitance on the exhaust question.
I'm sure someone will be able to help...travel safe!
Not a problem, the exhaust shroud doesn't get hot enough to melt anything.

DavesFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
I recommend doing a search on the forum for "saddlebag support". You will find many clever ways people have rigged up to keep soft luggage from sagging onto the exhaust.

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Ogio saddlebags and have logged many multiday rides and thousands of miles with them. I hook the rear strap together and slide it above the license plate light fixture and the tail. I'll take a pic of it tomorrow and post it up.

JoeSTL

Reaction score
Visit site
I need to buy some soft luggage for an upcoming trip. I have been looking at the Ogio Moto Sport Saddlebags and the Nelson Rigg CL-855 Saddlebags.

My question, to those of you who have saddlebags is where and how did you secure the rear strap to keep it away from the exhaust?

Pictures would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Out of those 2, I'd get the Ogio, mostly because they look better. I have some Givi soft bags and don't have a problem with the exhaust. If you start experiencing some droop, then just use the pvc over the passenger pegs for stability. Here's a vid I made of my exhaust, but it shows the luggage. I now keep the straps over the back of the seat for easy removal, however I still have to zip tie them to the frame so they don't blow all over place.

[youtubevid]H5ImX0n6pcw[/youtubevid]

DeepBlueRider

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm using MotoCentric Mototrek Sport Saddlebags - Street Motorcycle - Motorcycle Superstore. No issue with heat, pretty good quality. However I've grabbed those under $100. I'm not sure if I would get them for current price.

I've ordered Nelson-Rigg Spirit Touring Saddlebag SPRT-50 but fit over FZ6 was horrible and I didn't like them so I've returned those.

EDIT: also I was unable to properly secure nelson rigg to the bike. Saddle bags dragged against wheel when leaned.

Last edited:

Solarservant

Thrill-Seeker
Reaction score
Visit site
This has been really helpful. Just fitted the OGIO's to my 2006 FZ. It's a little weird, but I figured soft bags would be. Ready for my first micro-tour. Two nights, three days to the illustrious Hwy 191... Woohoo!

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
If you're travelling without a passenger, a tailbag is infinitely better than soft saddlebags. Cheaper and way way way more functional. The FZ6, with a nice and wide passenger seat, and grab rails offers a perfect mounting point for one.

Soft saddlebags are all oddly shaped and anything that's solid ends up taking way more space than necessary. They move around and shift, regardless of how securely you mount it. They're just plain inconvenient to put on and take off the bike.

Take it from someone that's used all kinds of luggage, a largish (60Lish) duffle bag is one of the best things you can use. Helps that you can pick up anything for dirt cheap anywhere. No need for a moto specific one.