Spark plugs??

There are too many things that can go wrong if you use plugs that are not specified for your bike. The cost savings do not outweigh the damage that you could possibly do to the bike. As for fuel additives to "clean" the system, unless you park the bike for weeks at a time, these are not needed. Premium fuel already has additives in it for this and you are just throwing your money away. Just keep the fuel fresh and ride,ride,ride! If it's not broke, don't fix it! GRUMPY

For cleaning your carbs/injectors I have been using Sea Foam for years.
It is made by Johnson Outboards for cleaning their gummy carbs.
The vintage cycle club I belong to turned me onto it and I've been
using it ever since. It does not hurt catalitic converters and can be
used in mowers, cars, bikes, just about everything. Pep Boys, NAPA,
and most auto parts stores has it. It's in a white can, and very reasonably
priced.

I used aceton once. Made no difference .

Also used butanol (a alcohol , better dan ethanole or methanole ). No difference in comsumption, but the engine runs much smoother. Weird stuff. Could be a future biofuel.

Last edited:
I just swapped my plugs out with Iridiums. I haven't gone for a ride yet, but just moving it from the working spot to the parking spot seemed promising.

I know there are alot of things saying it doesnt work. My experince says it does.

I also have read that it eats fuel lines. Test it for yourself. It doesnt.

Link is broken though.

If I'm not mistaken Berrymen's Carb / Injector cleaner has acetone in it. So I would assume that acetone alone would do some good.

My manual says to check them for discoloring and change if necessary at that interval, not change them regardless.

LIT-11626-20-60 FZS6W(C) Owners Manual must be different...?

Under PERIODIC MAINTENANCE AND MINOR REPAIR, page 6-3
• Check condition.
• Adjust gap and clean.
• Replace every 8000 mi (13000km) or 12 months.

Then again at 16000 mi (25000 km) or 24 months by the chart.

I changed mine at the recommended mileage. They probably didn't need replaced but I was thinking I didn't want to fight getting old plugs out. I was worried that they would break off - they did not so I was happy.

Like tire expense, chalk it up as the cost of having fun.

Back