Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just wondering, does anyone on here use a SPOT Satellite GPS Messenger, and should I get one?

transparent_spot3.png

I have been toying with the idea of getting one of these gadgets for awhile, as I often ride solo, and into some fairly remote areas (hunting the ever elusive twisties). My big fear is that I'll end up dumping in an area with no cellphone coverage, or become incapacitated enough that I would be unable to use a cellphone. With one of these, help is a single button push away...

The link here is for the SPOT2, which is what I am considering getting. It has a USD $99.00 annual fee, and there are a few other 'bells and whistles' you can opt to get as well.

SPOT Satellite GPS Messenger

What do y'all think?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I think they're cool and I agree it could be really beneficial (a life saver) when you're on your own, riding in the desert or the sticks.

Hey! since we're all "Big Brother" now anyway.....

I'm also wondering if you could rig it hidden on the bike as a GPS for anti theft! I know some guys that have a GPS set-up ......They prefer this to the police tracking their bike with Lo-Jack. I know of a couple of GPS recoveries and the stories that went with the recovery were very interesting! :eek::spank::Flip::rockon:

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think they're cool and I agree it could be really beneficial (a life saver) when you're on your own, riding in the desert or the sticks.

Hey! since we're all "Big Brother" now anyway.....

I'm also wondering if you could rig it hidden on the bike as a GPS for anti theft! I know some guys that have a GPS set-up ......They prefer this to the police tracking their bike with Lo-Jack. I know of a couple of GPS recoveries and the stories that went with the recovery were very interesting! :eek::spank::Flip::rockon:

I don't think this one will work as a theft deterrent, as it only 'squawks' when activated... It would be cool to have an aftermarket anti-theft tracker system though.

I know Calidin has one, and it's documented in his most recent trip report up to the Arctic Circle.

Will check this out. Cheers! :thumbup:

before you end up spending $170 do a lil search on ebay, ill paste you the first result....

Mini Real Time GPS GSM GPRS Tracker Spy tracking device - eBay (item 150473414440 end time Sep-26-10 23:41:59 PDT)

its $53 and does some nasty things too...

Checked on eBay already. The benefits of this device over the 'fly-by-night' spy trackers is that this one only works when you activate it (as opposed to being a constant on babysitter), and when I hit the 'SOS' button I know that a signal is going to a monitored help agency that is capable of dispatching police, fire or ambulance almost anywhere in the world.

Plus, with the SPOT2 I can broadcast an 'all clear' message if things are going well, to people I choose ahead of time via SMS, email, etc.

I'm not trying to shoot your idea down here, I just wanted to point out some of the differences. This product (the SPOT2) is from a reputable company, with a properly established rescue coordination center, and has documented rescues all over the world...

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you really want to see a review or get other opinions, try the AVR forum. This device is much more popular on there for obvious reasons.

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
I know I am one of the few people here who subscribe to more than one motorcycle forum ;) so here's a post from another board I belong to that details a real life incident and how SPOT helped save the day Spot Lessons

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've had one for about 7 months now, ever since I got my bike. I think it's a pretty good piece of hardware to have with you when you travel, especially when you're alone. It puts my wife's mind at ease knowing that I can send for help no matter where I'm at if something happens. I also use it to check in with her by pushing the "o.k." button which sends her an email/text with a link to a location on google maps. The basic service in about $100 a year but I think it's worth it. I got mine for $50 new at CG after it was marked down to $100 and then it was on a special for another 50% off.

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Will be purchasing one of these soon. I have checked around, and can't find anything that has anywhere near this many 'security blanket' features. This product will make both my wife and me feel a lot more secure when I ride solo.

Thanks for all the input guys! :thumbup:

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
These are popular over on the TW200 board. Nothing but good reviews on these. I've also read that they have outstanding customer service. If you like the idea of one, and think it'll be usefull(or even potentially), I say go for it. I'd love to have one, but they're priced out of my range.

Last edited: