Steering Stem/Fork Swap- need help!

visions

THAT guy
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys- been a long time, since before the name change! Anyways, my fz project has been sitting in the garage for over a year now (long story)

I'm trying to put 2005 R6 inverted forks on, need some advice for pressing out the old fz6 steering stem from the lower triple. Does it press up through the top or down out the bottom? Same for the new one? (Up from the bottom?)

Thanks guys! I searched a bit but the most I found was that people take everything to a machine shop but no details.

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Always pressed down through the bottom of the triple. A good way to think about it; tightening the upper hardware is trying to pull the stem up through the lower triple clamp. The retaining ring on the FZ6 and machined base on the R6 are there to counteract this force.

Hope this helps!

Edit: A few photos of the lower triple for you:

Layout:

Photo of Upper Triple Bore:

Photo of Lower Triple Bore:

Last edited:

mountaincycle

Reaction score
Visit site
visions,
just to be clear, you have plans to press out your steering stem from your FZ6 lower triple, and reuse it on a lower R6 triple? does the R6 lower needed to be machined to accept the FZ6 stem?

Can you just us the complete R6 triple? if so, this might be an option, check out All Balls Racing, click on "Find Fork Conversion. double check me but I think it's Bearings Part Number 99-3540-5 (top) Part Number 99-3519-5 (bottom)
All Balls All Balls Racing

I had to machine a small spacer w/this All Ball's conversation using a R1 inverted fork on my 1984 RZ and it worked great!
of course, I installed lighter springs .

Last edited:

visions

THAT guy
Reaction score
Visit site
Always pressed down through the bottom of the triple. A good way to think about it; tightening the upper hardware is trying to pull the stem up through the lower triple clamp. The retaining ring on the FZ6 and machined base on the R6 are there to counteract this force.

Thanks man! Just double checking before I ruin some parts lol

visions,
just to be clear, you have plans to press out your steering stem from your FZ6 lower triple, and reuse it on a lower R6 triple? does the R6 lower needed to be machined to accept the FZ6 stem?

Can you just us the complete R6 triple? if so, this might be an option, check out All Balls Racing, click on "Find Fork Conversion. double check me but I think it's Bearings Part Number 99-3540-5 (top) Part Number 99-3519-5 (bottom)
All Balls All Balls Racing

I had to machine a small spacer w/this All Ball's conversation using a R1 inverted fork on my 1984 RZ and it worked great!
of course, I installed lighter springs .

From what I've read on other posts and by measuring my 2 steering stems, the r6 stem isn't long enough... but yes I will be converting to allballs too!

visions

THAT guy
Reaction score
Visit site
15201494801_eae991945e_b.jpg

4drfocus

Rurouni
Reaction score
Visit site
You can use the R6 stem, you have 2 options, 1: get a upper bearing crown and race for an R6, or 2: mill the upper portion of R6 stem to match the FZ6 stem, two years ago when I did the swap I milled the R6 stem,it costs more but you can put the FZ6 forks back in when you sell it, plus the R6 stem is alot lighter than the FZ's.

visions

THAT guy
Reaction score
Visit site
You can use the R6 stem, you have 2 options, 1: get a upper bearing crown and race for an R6, or 2: mill the upper portion of R6 stem to match the FZ6 stem, two years ago when I did the swap I milled the R6 stem,it costs more but you can put the FZ6 forks back in when you sell it, plus the R6 stem is alot lighter than the FZ's.

can i PM you and ask for details? when you swapped was it from the later models or the inverted 2005 forks? thanks