Stiff Clutch Solutions?

EZ Rider

On the Road
Reaction score
Visit site
Is there any way to make my clutch on my '04 a little easier to pull? I have cable lube, but am hearing from some that lube won't help. My left hand gets pretty tired on long trips. Any suggestions for easing the pain?

I have cable lube, but am hearing from some that lube won't help.

See my thread entitled "Neglect"...
I had not lubed the cables on my '07 until just a few days ago, and I'm having to learn to shift all over again, its so easy to shift!
Lube your cables, you won't regret it! :thumbup:

I'd also suggest adjustable levers. I have the ride it moto. Same as the cheaper ones found on ebay. Haven't had any issues with them. Look exactly like crg's

I lubed the cable and added the KN mod to my 05 and it is ENTIRELY different. Smooth and progressive....

Also, don't assume that the cable assembly on an older bike doesn't have some frayed strands and may also need replacing. If you have lubricated the cable and still have a problem it may be caused by a faulty cable assembly. Replace cable and then do the KN mod! :p

The factory cable on my 07 didn't have a plastic liner and was poorly maintained by the last owner.

OEM replacement cable was an upgrade, $20
I like teflon lube over engine oil
Adjustable clutch lever

Now the clutch is light and workable. The narrow engagement still requires finesse, but the final touch would be KN's mod.

So with the KN mod I just contact the guy and mail him my lever?

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/35451-clutch-slave-levers-im-making-them-again.html

Subscribe to the thread and you will see when he is prepping a new run. The previous routine was $50 if you supplied you own lever ( most people buy new parts and send them in so they can wide while they wait) or $70 and he would supply the parts. Of course that is subject to change at any time.

The change is amazing. The effort is much less and more important it is progressive and smooth.

I just lubed the cable and the clutch is much easier to pull now. I have the adjustable levers on order and will use the KN mod as a last resort. Just the cable lube alone makes this pretty much an non issue now. Thanks for all the help!

I am wondering about this too. I guess I have just gotten used to the stiff clutch but I let my friend ride my bike and she HATES how stiff it is. Does the kn mod help fix this or just the engagement? I lubed the cable the other day and definitely felt an improvement but still stiff. Wondering if I should replace the cable as well or that is just how this bike is. Mine is an 05 with 14k on her.

I am wondering about this too. I guess I have just gotten used to the stiff clutch but I let my friend ride my bike and she HATES how stiff it is. Does the kn mod help fix this or just the engagement? I lubed the cable the other day and definitely felt an improvement but still stiff. Wondering if I should replace the cable as well or that is just how this bike is. Mine is an 05 with 14k on her.

It does make the pull easier because of leverage. With the mod, the new holes for the cable (slave side) are further away from the bike. Look at the post count for his mod, if it didn't work I don't think it would be so high:BLAA:

Last edited:

As posted above, the KN mod gives you more leverage at the lever.

Re the cable, if it hasn't been maintained, is frayed, it doesn't matter how many miles/or the year the cable is. The cable needs to be maintained regularly, if damaged, replaced.

I have more miles on my 07 original cable and its smooth as silk as I lube it regularly..

Defo worth checking the cable first, I recently changed my cable on my '08 bike as it was fraying. Made a massive difference, even though I lube it often.

Back