Stock 08 Ninja650 vs. Stock 08 FZ6

Status
Not open for further replies.
650's a twin, right? Should get more torque, giving it an edge at the line, until the FZ6 winds up and blows its hypothetical doors off.

But the FZ6 makes enough torque/power to loop within the first 3 feet...the bike should be launched way up in the rev range (clutch slip) with the wheelie being the only limiting factor. So does it simply come down to weight and weigh bias? I'm not a drag-racing expert by any means. Real world, yeah, it probably pulls better from a regular stop.

I think you mean proverbial :Flash: ;)

not to be rude but have you ever rode a bike before, What we are trying yo say, 1st gear is all the way down, then shift up one more gear to 2nd, then 3rd, then 4th, then 5th, with that said there are your 6 gears.

That's written on your bike's manual too . Just count them again . No 6th? there's a problem with your bike, you have to go back to your dealer or a YAMAHA center and report it. There is no FZ6 with 5 gears!!!
;)

I took the safety class and I try to use those skills at all times to the best of my ability. I am new to the bike though and the terminology.

Instead of criticising, help me figure this out. Because that still isn't making sense to me, 4th gear, i downshift 1 and get to 3rd, and so on. Thats how i understood it. If its different, please explain it to me.

put your bike in neutral. look for the neutral light to come on in your gauge cluster. with the bike in neutral, hold in the clutch and press the shifter down. this is first gear. the pull the shifter up until it clicks into second gear. you should be able to put it in first and then click it up 5 times. this is what is meant by 1 down and 5 up. it is using the neutral as your starting point. so if you can't start in first and get 5 clicks going up, then your transmission is messed up. if your transmission is working well though, you probably have been starting in 2nd gear the whole time, and is probably why your buddy on the ninja beat you off the line, but you beat him in the end. hope this helps, good luck!

:rof::rof:

Sorry man but I have not laughed this hard for a long time.

Seriously thou

:rof::rof:

Just joking with ya. Push your shift lever down until your neutral light comes on, then push down one more time. Now when you do this you might here and feel a pretty good CLUNK, FZs are known for this. As you ride and the bike gets warmer the clunk while be less noticable.

Now when you go to shift up to second it's just one smooth pull up on the shifter. It will automatically go thru neutral and staight into second.:thumbup:

I hope you're not letting anybody "get to ya". We all had to learn somehow & really, this forum is a great place to learn about your bike! So hang in there, be safe & have fun!

:rof::rof::rof::rof:

ok.... if you have been going up from neutral instead of down...... For God's sake do not start like you have been or you will loop over and crash

easy on the the throttle and clutch ....

oh yes and :welcome:

There is not an FZ6 made that has anything other than 6 gears.
There was another member who reported having 5 gears last year. The story was something like the bike had been modded.
So there is an FZ6 (allegedly) out there with 5?

Nelly

cant say about the 650...but my 750 was on a whole different level than my fz6...when i would ride the kawi for awhile and then switch to the fz it just seemed slower to me

The ninja will get you off the line.
Certainly when you start off in 2nd GEAR!!!

Frankly, I don't see how you could avoid 1st gear. Who counts gears every time they downshift? Or never double-checks by pressing down on the shifter a few times to confirm 1st gear before pulling away?
You took MSF course? We covered the shift operation before ever getting on bikes. The instructor never called you for starting in 2nd gear?
Bought a new bike and never read the owners manual or looked at the Yamaha website?

C'mon Chunkster, let these fish off the line and fess up to the gag!
th_smiley_rotfl2%5B1%5D.gif

Last edited:
At the very least your shift linkage is not set-up correctly, hopefully it is not any thing worse than that. Take it back to the dealer ASAP!:(

I have a copy of the FZ6 vs. Ninja 650 vs. SV650S consumer news article and the FZ6 just blows the other two in performance. But, both twins probably make more power under 6k rpm than the FZ6, so real world riding is most likely similar. The FZ6 was also better than the Ninja in handling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back