Stupid! Stupid! Stupid! Went down today!

naeem

Reaction score
Visit site
Absolutely stupid move, hit a ramp at 70. In Austin, on 183, taking Mo-Pac south -too fast, and only have stupidity and absent-mindedness to blame.

I hit the curb - the part that's 100 feet off the ground, I am so lucky, it could have been so much worse, I rolled off the bike. Thank God, didn't break anything, equipment really protected me, scratched up helmet, jacket. The slider saved most of the bike.

I'm sharing this, as a reminder to myself and everyone, don't flinch for a second - don't let your mind wander off! I take this road everyday, and just really am so lucky!

Question - my deductible is $1000, I'm guessing damage is maybe $1500 - would you claim it, and then risk insurance going up? Anyone have any experience with this - I'd appreciate your input! :(

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your crash, but glad you're OK.
I would ask my agent a hypothetical question.. "Does my rate go if I file a $1500 claim and if so, by how much?"
Hopefully they'll take care of you. Good luck.

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Dude you sound like you learnt a lesson today , you cant not concentrate.... If the bike doesnt bite you a cager will.... Relax by all means but dont get flakey ;)

Glad your OK though :thumbup:

As for the bike , if its insured get it fixed properly I say...

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your crash, but glad you're OK.
I would ask my agent a hypothetical question.. "Does my rate go if I file a $1500 claim and if so, by how much?"
Hopefully they'll take care of you. Good luck.

+1 Good advise.

Too much crashing going on around here, let's all be careful :eek:

naeem

Reaction score
Visit site
Ya, I've got a 4 yr old, and this was a serious reminder to not be so stupid! I was thinking of trading in the FZ6 for a 1000cc, think I may just hand on to this - and do some more mindful driving for a while.

Scary as ****! Good advice on the insurance, I'm gonna at least go get a quote, see what that comes out - and then decide. Thanks for support guys, I'm shaken up, and keeping it real cool with the wife - don't want her to freak out, over how scary it really was!

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry TCmalker, but I have deleted your post.

What you suggested was insurance fraud. That is NOT acceptable. Serious offence for this if you get caught.

Not worth the risk.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Ya, I've got a 4 yr old, and this was a serious reminder to not be so stupid! I was thinking of trading in the FZ6 for a 1000cc, think I may just hand on to this - and do some more mindful driving for a while.

Scary as ****! Good advice on the insurance, I'm gonna at least go get a quote, see what that comes out - and then decide. Thanks for support guys, I'm shaken up, and keeping it real cool with the wife - don't want her to freak out, over how scary it really was!

I'd think your insurance is unlikely to go up due to your first accident.

It's also quite probable that the damages are going to be more than you think. Insurance appraisers do not like to see scratches on aluminum frames. Any nicks there, and the frame will be (almost certainly) totaled by the appraiser.

A dented rim, a dented gas tank, the typical fairing damage..... it's quite easy to hit more than $1500.

Good to hear you had gear on and that it did the job. It's a good thing you are still there for the little one.

Maybe a good idea to look into a training class of some sort?

Last edited:

Kazza

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 for Erci. You may be $500 out of pocket if you pay for it yourself, but how much will your insurance go up? Definitely speak to your broker to see what the story is.

Glad you're ok.

Can't believe how many of our members are having accidents at the moment :shakehead:

Keep safe everyone :)

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry TCmalker, but I have deleted your post.

What you suggested was insurance fraud. That is NOT acceptable. Serious offence for this if you get caught.

Not worth the risk.

No problem. But just so you know, I didn't myself commit any insurance fraud. All I said to the dealer was I didn't care how much it cost because the other guy hit me (true). His insurance was going to pay for it. All the damages that he wrote up WERE there, even if it was minor. My point is, why should I have to ride with a scratched up parts when it was the other guys' fault? If the dealer can't fix it, then he has to replace it with new part. Just because I kept the money and decide to fix the bike myself later at my own leisure, I don't think that constitute insurance fraud.

My bad for suggesting that the OP lied about being involved with another person.

Kazza

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
No problem. But just so you know, I didn't myself commit any insurance fraud. All I said to the dealer was I didn't care how much it cost because the other guy hit me (true). His insurance was going to pay for it. All the damages that he wrote up WERE there, even if it was minor. My point is, why should I have to ride with a scratched up parts when it was the other guys' fault? If the dealer can't fix it, then he has to replace it with new part. Just because I kept the money and decide to fix the bike myself later at my own leisure, I don't think that constitute insurance fraud.

My bad for suggesting that the OP lied about being involved with another person.
No probs with that at all.

Just with the OP, he was the only one involved so in this case, he would be committing insurance fraud if he said someone hit him.

All good :thumbup:

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 for Erci. You may be $500 out of pocket if you pay for it yourself, but how much will your insurance go up? Definitely speak to your broker to see what the story is.

Glad you're ok.

Can't believe how many of our members are having accidents at the moment :shakehead:

Keep safe everyone :)

Speak to your broker, but don't admit to the accident. Ask hypothetically. Did you report the accident? I don't know how long you have, but if you're going to file a claim, you should report it. I wouldn't though. Just keep this between yourself (and us) and fix the bike yourself.

oogie

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your accident,VERY glad to know you were not injured,been seeing too many accounts of crashes lately. One of the things I love most about riding is that it requires 100% concentration to accomplish successfully,when I'm on the bike I'm not thinking about my job,other responsibilities,etc. etc. When I ride,I ride. I don't know if that makes any sense to anyone else,but for me it's something I can focus on completely and escape everything else for a little while. Thanks for reminding us of that necessity, and I hope you resolve your repair quandrum without too much stress.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I hardly ever claim on my insurance, in 20 nyears, i think i have claimed once, when my bike was nearly totalled! Other than that, or if the bike was stolen, i have always found it is not that expensive to fix most stuff yourself, and very cheaply, if you do the work yourself...

As in my latest accident on the weekend, fixed most of the stuff already, just about $500 worth of repairs that i cannot do myself, and there is no point claiming on this, as i have a $350 excess, and it would save me miinimal cash, and definitely push up my insurance rate...

glad your hear to tell about your experience, as i bet your partner, and child is too...

I found that as soon as i had kids, it changed my attitude to riding completely...no care free rides, riding how i want, but more so, good fun riding, with a very decent margin foir error left...kids like having their dads around, and i dont wanna miss out on a minute of them growing up.

Good Luck.

:thumbup:

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad to hear another survival tale, but not so happy to hear of another off. Hope it all goes smoothly for you, whichever way you choose to go:thumbup:.

Sotex

Reaction score
Visit site
Yikes, also very sorry to hear of this. I can only imagine going down at that speed would be frightening. But, for those not familiar with Austin, if I'm not mistaken the area naeem's described is quite literally 100 feet off the ground -- an elevated exchange between high-speed expressways. I was on that very stretch just yesterday. It can be "attention grabbing" even on four wheels.

Glad you're ok, and that the barrier along the interchange (presumably) worked.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Man that sucks. For $500 I wouldn't bother to file a claim. It may cost more now, but in the long run it will save you money.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear but glad you're OK!

Let's see some pics of the damage so we can help you assess what needs to be replaced. Plus, some members here have been known to be really generous with parts they have laying around so you could get by even cheaper! :D

Yamma~Tiger

Reaction score
Visit site
At least your Ok. thats the good part. as for the bike... is it frame damage? or just cosmetics, minor parts... fender, faring, turn signals.... because if it is maybe you could do it your self....