Tail light wont light??

kellybt1052

Reaction score
Visit site
I removed and unplugged all of my lights for a trackday yesterday and today whil putting it all backtogther all was great until I noticed the tailight was not lit. It comes on when I use either brake however. All I did was unplug the various lights. I re-checked the connectors and lines and all looks fine. Any thoughts???
Thank you,
Brian

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
It's a dual filament bulb, so you might have just burned out the running light. Easiest to check.

kellybt1052

Reaction score
Visit site
I was thinking that it would be something simple like that. I will pick one up on the way home today. What kind of mileage when it blew. I bought it in September last year and have about 7900 miles. Seems a little soon t me but this makes the most sense. Thanks again.
Brian

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
Mine just blew out. 11k on the clock. While you're replacing it, get a brighter halogen bulb for it. Candlepower makes one, 50 watts. Pretty cool, it looks like a small headlight bulb stuck on a 1157 base. It's super bright, and who doesn't like that?
And hey, stop using your brakes so much and your bulbs will last longer.:D

Rich

Reaction score
Visit site
I think the vibration gets them. I just replaced mine for the second time with 11K on the odometer.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
Mine just blew out. 11k on the clock. While you're replacing it, get a brighter halogen bulb for it. Candlepower makes one, 50 watts. Pretty cool, it looks like a small headlight bulb stuck on a 1157 base. It's super bright, and who doesn't like that?
And hey, stop using your brakes so much and your bulbs will last longer.:D

The filament that goes out usually is the one that's on all the time, not with the brakes
Plus mine broke when my bike slammed against the ground at 35mph

I'll have to try that halogen bulb, sounds sweet!

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I would agree on the filament. I would say a numerous number of possabilities are far as how long they last. I would say temperature outside, smoothness of road, etc........

yamaha rider87

Reaction score
Visit site
also if you had the bike's electricals turned on while re-connecting everything to make it easier to check the power running through the bulb before the connectors were solid could have popped it....not sure it thats a short circuit or what but I've seen it when screwing in light bulbs around the house (when my intelligent roommate tells me the light switch is off and he's wrong lol)

kellybt1052

Reaction score
Visit site
Bulb it was!!! thanks for the advise, easy fix ($5 at autozone for two bulbs) and I'm back on the road. Could not find the halogen so I will have to try the next go around.
Ride safe!