tcmalker's dual headlight mod

Who's dual headlights mod do you like best?

• bd43

Votes: 94 74.0%
  • Gand

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • tcmalker

Votes: 21 16.5%
  • other

Votes: 11 8.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
This is so simple it can literally take 20 seconds.

1. Pull out black connector from highbeam side.
2. Flip open cover. Pull the yellow/black wire connector out and put that in empty connector spot.
3. Close cover. Push black connector back in.

Results:

1. Low beam mode stays the same, single low beam.
2. 'High Beam' mode = dual low beams

Benefits:

1. Fastest dual headlight mod out there! Also cheapest.
2. No soldering, crimping, etc. Look factory. Can be convert back & forth with ease (warranty issues).
3. Same weather/elements protection.
4. No worry about extra electrical loads. You always have option of going one beam only if you ever have charging issues.

Cons:

1. Lose high beam.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
On the H4 lamp (dual filament) There are three wires. 1 is low beam. 1 is high beam. 1 is ground. Did you switch the high/low beam wires and terminate the low beam wire so that that lamp has no high beam? If you didn't then that lamp will turn off the high low beam and turn on the high beam when you switch to high beam. The H7 lamp is single filament which is high beam only. In order to have a low beam in the H7 lamp location you should need the H4 configuration (dual filament) in order to have a low beam because that lamp is a high beam only. You can have a filament lit in each eye but you have an active high beam.

The bulbs and the reflectors have specific characteristics of aiming in their configurations. My thought is at least you would have to have the H4 in both eyes and the mod. has more to consider than switching one wire.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for posting. I'll give this a try. :thumbup:

I have been too lazy to do any of the other versions.

Wait a minute! :eek: Hahaha!

It looks like the socket he pulled the wire from is the H7 single filament. It only has 2 wires and 1 configuration. If TC remove the wire and put it on another pin the lamp would have to be the H4. I believe the lamp he was modding was the H7.
I can see you modifying to make 2 low beams but you're going to need another at least another H4. The original OEM is 1 H4 and 1 H7 so if you light the H7 it's only going to be a high beam....

Please read my post on this before you mod......

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
On the H4 lamp (dual filament) There are three wires. 1 is low beam. 1 is high beam. 1 is ground. Did you switch the high/low beam wires and terminate the low beam wire so that that lamp has no high beam? If you didn't then that lamp will turn off the high low beam and turn on the high beam when you switch to high beam. The H7 lamp is single filament which is high beam only. In order to have a low beam in the H7 lamp location you should need the H4 configuration (dual filament) in order to have a low beam because that lamp is a high beam only. You can have a filament lit in each eye but you have an active high beam.

The bulbs and the reflectors have specific characteristics of aiming in their configurations. My thought is at least you would have to have the H4 in both eyes and the mod. has more to consider than switching one wire.

To be honest I have no idea what you're talking about. There was only two wires that I saw: ground & a hot wire. I simply relocate the hot wire to the empty slot I assumed was supposed to be for low beam, as you can see in the pictures. I don't know what to tell you, but the result is the same as any other dual headlight mods (except for no high beam).

One thing to mention is that since there is no possbility of high beams, both filaments cannot go on. Which is good.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
When riding at night, high beams are essential - they widen the beam so you can see the side of the road more. Wouldn't want to be riding any country roads without them.

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
Wait a minute! :eek: Hahaha!

It looks like the socket he pulled the wire from is the H7 single filament. It only has 2 wires and 1 configuration. If TC remove the wire and put it on another pin the lamp would have to be the H4. I believe the lamp he was modding was the H7.
I can see you modifying to make 2 low beams but you're going to need another at least another H4. The original OEM is 1 H4 and 1 H7 so if you light the H7 it's only going to be a high beam....

Please read my post on this before you mod......

Hold up here Moto, what is the confusion? The socket I pulled the wire from is from the right side (dual filament). I don't know if it's H4 or H7, but it's the one that has the high beam. There were only two wires, ground & hot. Yamaha omitted the other wire. If it was wired, it would power the low beam filament.

When I moved the hot wire to the empty spot I essentially made it so that when the high beam switch is used, the low beam of the dual filament lights up. Am I missing something here? There is nothing else you need, just relocate that wire.

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
When riding at night, high beams are essential - they widen the beam so you can see the side of the road more. Wouldn't want to be riding any country roads without them.

I live in a big urban city with tons of street lights. I don't need high beams. I actually think it's detrimental (blinding others). Please consider your area before doing this mod. I'm only giving people OPTIONS. It's up to them to weigh the pros & cons.

Hey Maverick, let me know how it goes. The only thing that I got stuck on in the beginning was how to take the connector (connected to black/yellow) wire off. I ended up using a nose pliers and pulled that sucker out.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hold up here Moto, what is the confusion? The socket I pulled the wire from is from the right side (dual filament). I don't know if it's H4 or H7, but it's the one that has the high beam. There were only two wires, ground & hot. Yamaha omitted the other wire. If it was wired, it would power the low beam filament.

When I moved the hot wire to the empty spot I essentially made it so that when the high beam switch is used, the low beam of the dual filament lights up. Am I missing something here? There is nothing else you need, just relocate that wire.

Okay, I see now. You're saying the lamp and socket is the H4 type (dual filament) but used as the H7 type (single filament) and you just switched the wire. Cool! :rockon:
Yamaha probably did that to have dual light configuration in other countries. I never did understand, except for charging, why it was a single lamp deal. I guess they saved a wire. :thumbup:
Now the other lamp....did you change that plug as well? It has 3 wires. If you are running the high beam switch and haven't change the other plug set-up, that side will be running the high beam. So you'll have the new low beam on the plug you modded but on the other plug you would need to remove the high beam wire and put it on the low beam location and tape up the low beam wire you remove from the plug so that you have both sides on low beam. But then you will have no headlights if the high beam switch is in the off position (unless you swap the high/low beam wires). So if you have the high beam switched turned off the high beam filament will be lit on the left side.
Modify this circuit so that you can't inadvertently completely shut of you headlamps. As you have it now, with the high beam switch on, you will always have at least one light going but with the high beam switch on you will have a high beam (left side) and one low beam (right side)

My Suzi has twin headlamps but they are both functional low and high beam from the factory.

A step further and you could still retain high beams and have the best of both worlds. :Flash:

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, I see now. You're saying the lamp and socket is the H4 type (dual filament) but used as the H7 type (single filament) and you just switched the wire. Cool! :rockon:
Yamaha probably did that to have dual light configuration in other countries. I never did understand, except for charging, why it was a single lamp deal. I guess they saved a wire. :thumbup:
Now the other lamp....did you change that plug as well? It has 3 wires. If you are running the high beam switch and haven't change the other plug set-up, that side will be running the high beam. So you'll have the new low beam on the plug you modded but on the other plug you would need to remove the high beam wire and put it on the low beam location and tape up the low beam wire you remove from the plug so that you have both sides on low beam. But then you will have no headlights if the high beam switch is in the off position (unless you swap the high/low beam wires). So if you have the high beam switched turned off the high beam filament will be lit on the left side.
Modify this circuit so that you can't inadvertently completely shut of you headlamps. As you have it now, with the high beam switch on, you will always have at least one light going but with the high beam switch on you will have a high beam (left side) and one low beam (right side)

My Suzi has twin headlamps but they are both functional low and high beam from the factory.

A step further and you could still retain high beams and have the best of both worlds. :Flash:

Moto, stop making this more complicate than it actually is. You're confused and you're confusing other people. I don't where you're getting your information from (do you still even have a FZ6?). You keep stating that there are three wires. There are only TWO wires for BOTH sides. I'm going to explain this one last time.

The right side (as sitting) has the H4 dual filaments. There are three connector spots on the black connector. One is used for ground. One is use to power the high beam filament. The other is used to power the low beam filament, but it is empty. The ONLY thing that I did was to RELOCATE the connector from high beam spot to the empty low beam spot. I did not touch the left side at all. The left side has H7 (single filament only) for low beam. There is no high beam on the left side. Period.

By relocating that connector on the right, you disabled the high beam filament (no wire connection) and powering the low beam filament. I don't think it get easier than that.

See picture. First two pictures show you the relocation on the connector. The last picture is just for illustration of the left side.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Moto, stop making this more complicate than it actually is. You're confused and you're confusing other people. I don't where you're getting your information from (do you still even have a FZ6?). You keep stating that there are three wires. There are only TWO wires for BOTH sides. I'm going to explain this one last time.

The right side (as sitting) has the H4 dual filaments. There are three connector spots on the black connector. One is used for ground. One is use to power the high beam filament. The other is used to power the low beam filament, but it is empty. The ONLY thing that I did was to RELOCATE the connector from high beam spot to the empty low beam spot. I did not touch the left side at all. The left side has H7 (single filament only) for low beam. There is no high beam on the left side. Period.

By relocating that connector on the right, you disabled the high beam filament (no wire connection) and powering the low beam filament. I don't think it get easier than that.

See picture. First two pictures show you the relocation on the connector. The last picture is just for illustration of the left side.

I apologize TC! For some reason I thought there were 3 wires on one side. No I don't have the FZ6 anymore.
Thank you! :rockon:

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
I've done a little more research and discovered that bd43's version of the dual headlight mod was based on WTVa's (from SBN) version. WTVa's method involves directly tapping into the wire harness and involves some splicing & soldering. bd43's version avoid this to protect the integrity of the wire harness, but does involve fabrication of a special wire and removal of the battery and the air box.

So to give proper credit, for the poll (I don't know how to edit the poll), if you intend to vote for WTVa, you should vote 'other'.

link to WTVa's method
Light Mod.. Done - Sportbikes.net

Lucifer Caitiff

Reaction score
Visit site
I might do this tomorrow morning, and keep it until I can figure out the functioning high beam mod. It sounds like it's a good in-the-mean-time solution. I don't need my high beam at the moment, but i certainly need a light working on my right side that won't get me in trouble with CHP.

I mentioned this in another thread...I had a CHP moto cop pretty pissed off at me. He signaled me to ride next to him so he could yell at me about my hi-beam. Time to make a change!

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
I might do this tomorrow morning, and keep it until I can figure out the functioning high beam mod. It sounds like it's a good in-the-mean-time solution. I don't need my high beam at the moment, but i certainly need a light working on my right side that won't get me in trouble with CHP.

I mentioned this in another thread...I had a CHP moto cop pretty pissed off at me. He signaled me to ride next to him so he could yell at me about my hi-beam. Time to make a change!

Please let us know what you think of this mod. Then go vote! I need one vote in order to be officially have this mod named after me. No sympathy votes please.:rolleyes:

Lucifer Caitiff

Reaction score
Visit site
I just did it....Unfortunately I couldn't see really well and it's cold as f*ck....I mangled the connector in my dark, freezing, half drunken stupor. Luckily though I was able to salvage it enough to make the mod work. Simple and easy, if it had been day light, I would have done it in 2 minutes. I'll replace the connector later on.

I will say though...I still wish I had my bright. I'll be doing BD's mod in the future, but in the meantime this will do the job I need it to do. I lose my bright, which I'll wish I had when the next asshat cuts the carpool lane in front of me, but I'll be glad to have a non-bright for regular lane splitting because I can be safe without getting yelled at by that moto cop.

My stebel nautilus horn makes up for not having a bright. I'd take pics but you guys would cry at how I keep my bike, I ride every day but haven't washed it since March. I also went down 2 months ago and pocketed the cash instead of repairing the damage. It runs great but it's slowly looking worse and worse :(

Last edited:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I dunno about other countries, but if you did this mod in Australia, your bike would be defectable straight away, as High Beam is required by law in all States in Australia, as is a functioning passing light switch, which when pressed, gives you both high and low beam...

So all you Aussies, do this mod at your own peril....

Not bashing your ingenuity, just stating a fact. It's a bit like loud pipes, do it at your own Peril...

Anyway, any self respecting Aussie knows how important it is to have high beam...freaking Roo's!

:thumbup:

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
I dunno about other countries, but if you did this mod in Australia, your bike would be defectable straight away, as High Beam is required by law in all States in Australia, as is a functioning passing light switch, which when pressed, gives you both high and low beam...

So all you Aussies, do this mod at your own peril....

Not bashing your ingenuity, just stating a fact. It's a bit like loud pipes, do it at your own Peril...

Anyway, any self respecting Aussie knows how important it is to have high beam...freaking Roo's!

Good point Wolfy, except that my mod is completely reversible. All it takes is to switch the flag connector back, that takes all but 20 seconds. Please perform this mod with sufficient light and temperature. Also becareful taking out the flag connector, it's pretty stubborn. I recommend using a long nose plier.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Good point Wolfy, except that my mod is completely reversible. All it takes is to switch the flag connector back, that takes all but 20 seconds. Please perform this mod with sufficient light and temperature. Also becareful taking out the flag connector, it's pretty stubborn. I recommend using a long nose plier.

Loud pipes are reversible, but that doesnt mean a thing when you get pulled over, they will still book you if they are in the mood! especially if you have been pulled over for riding like a Squid! they will do whatever they can to get that bike and it's rider off the road, even if it is only till you go to an inspection, to prove that the bike is legal to be ridden on the road again!

Lucifer Caitiff

Reaction score
Visit site
no one's going to know i don't have a high beam. They will, however, stop telling me that I have a headlight out. It saves having *that* conversation. I hate explaining that yamaha was just dumb and for some reason didn't wire up a low beam on that side.

Status
Not open for further replies.