tcmalker's dual headlight mod

Who's dual headlights mod do you like best?

• bd43

Votes: 94 74.0%
  • Gand

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • tcmalker

Votes: 21 16.5%
  • other

Votes: 11 8.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Great mod mate! Im an Aussie, and Wolf is talking rubbish! ;)

It takes seconds, literally, to reverse this for night time riding, so there is no reason you can't have your high beam at night. As far as legality.... pffft! Has anyone, ever, EVER been pulled over by a cop and asked to check their high beam is working? If you have, I'd say this would be the least of your problems. And as for passing, you can still flash this light on and off with your high-beam switch, so it will still get attention IMO.

Anyway, the thing that makes this mod so good is that ANYONE can do it, it takes seconds, and it is completely reversible. Oh, and it costs nothing!
Nice one mate.

PS, I will state for the record that I don't think this is the long term solution to better lighting, but it is a quick and simple way to get both headlights on for a better look and more daytime visability. Also, I actually put a small cut in my finger doing this mod, but that says more about me than it does the actual mod! :rolleyes:

i hear where you're coming from on this mod. its quick and simple. but if you ride at night, why would anyone want to take away the high beam? high beams are great in rural areas. they light things up much more than the 2 lows, thats for sure.

i hear where you're coming from on this mod. its quick and simple. but if you ride at night, why would anyone want to take away the high beam? high beams are great in rural areas. they light things up much more than the 2 lows, thats for sure.

I like said before, I live and ride in the city and rarely, if ever use the high beams. I did occasionally used it to annoy the sh*t out the someone who pissed me off or something. God I'm going to miss that.

you got my vote for how fast and easy it will be to go back and fourth. I guess if my ride takes me into the dark hours I could just take that 20 seconds to switch it back to hi-beam with the tool kit under my seat. I may use the other mod someday but for now no soldering for me.:thumbup:

Thanks

As far as legality.... pffft! Has anyone, ever, EVER been pulled over by a cop and asked to check their high beam is working? If you have, I'd say this would be the least of your problems.

And you have never been pulled over by the NSW RTA or QLD Transport have you ??? Dont get me started , DONT get me started :mad: I've had those pr!cks defect a truck because the mirror demisters werent working......... It wasnt even fitted with the demisters :spank:

What ever you think , im telling you this mod is illegal in Australia & if you do it they will stich you up....

And you have never been pulled over by the NSW RTA or QLD Transport have you ??? Dont get me started , DONT get me started :mad: I've had those pr!cks defect a truck because the mirror demisters werent working......... It wasnt even fitted with the demisters :spank:

What ever you think , im telling you this mod is illegal in Australia & if you do it they will stich you up....
LOL, mate, i don't think I want to get you started. Deep breaths, just think, "Super Bowl, Super Bowl". :thumbup:

Super easy mod! But I took it one step further to maintain high and low beams...... simply took a regular $.02 electrical connector, put it in the "open" slot on the right light plug (where low beam should be), filed down the low beam blade on my head light bulb about 1/32" as it is a bit wide, and ran a wire across to the low beam side of the left head light plug and soldered into the low beam there. Simply plugs in as designed. Now both lights are working together on low beam, AND I can switch to high beam as needed. All in all, took 15 minutes.

Rode 150 miles yesterday with both headlights looking great and no problems!

Should take care of all the questions about inspections/police checks/not having high beams at night/etc., etc.

Super easy mod! But I took it one step further to maintain high and low beams...... simply took a regular $.02 electrical connector, put it in the "open" slot on the right light plug (where low beam should be), filed down the low beam blade on my head light bulb about 1/32" as it is a bit wide, and ran a wire across to the low beam side of the left head light plug and soldered into the low beam there. Simply plugs in as designed. Now both lights are working together on low beam, AND I can switch to high beam as needed. All in all, took 15 minutes.

Should take care of all the questions about inspections/police checks/not having high beams at night/etc., etc.

For your very first post, you decided to made this post....Anway, what you are suggesting is essentially Gand's mod. The problem with that is you can't use your high beam (at least not for too long) as both the low & high will be on and cause problems. If you can't do that, you might as well do tcmalker's mod. Here's the link to Gand's method.

Gand's simple FZ6 Dual Headlight mod

This method can drain your battery should you use high beams. NOT recommended.

Just do tcmalker's mod, it's the simplest & safest out there. Why risk taking your bike apart (bd43's mod) or others (unsafe and require splicing) when you don't need to. A lot of people have done tcmalker's mod and are quite happy with it. I'm one of them.

Just do tcmalker's mod, it's the simplest & safest out there. Why risk taking your bike apart (bd43's mod) or others (unsafe and require splicing) when you don't need to. A lot of people have done tcmalker's mod and are quite happy with it. I'm one of them.

People can "do" whatever they want. What's that saying about "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink".

If one wants to do a short cut, then one lives with the consiquenses of not doing someting properly. That simple.

I just don't want to see anyone who does these short cuts then asking for help becasue my "battery is dead" or my "headlights don't work anymore". :thumbup: (well, we wont see any becasue I'll delete em.....) :D

People can "do" whatever they want. What's that saying about "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink".

If one wants to do a short cut, then one lives with the consiquenses of not doing someting properly. That simple.

I just don't want to see anyone who does these short cuts then asking for help becasue my "battery is dead" or my "headlights don't work anymore". :thumbup: (well, we wont see any becasue I'll delete em.....) :D

tcmalker's mod is not "improper" in anyway and does not drain the battery in anyway. As a matter of fact, it's the safest on battery drain since you can choose to use single or dual light. Nobody can argue that fact.

I think the poll speaks for itself.

This isn't some kind of competition.

Just because people don't like your mod, doesn't mean you need to have a go at other peoples mods.

Every mod is a risk.

It's just that BD43's is legal and doesn't knock out high beam.

Last edited:
I think the poll speaks for itself.

Not true. tcmalker's mod came 3 years after bd43's. If tcmalker introduced his mod earlier I'm willing to bet most people would do his. But since people didn't have that option and already did bd43's mod, hence the poll results. If the poll was for new FZ6 riders only, the result would be quite different.

Not true. tcmalker's mod came 3 years after bd43's. If tcmalker introduced his mod earlier I'm willing to bet most people would do his. But since people didn't have that option and already did bd43's mod, hence the poll results. If the poll was for new FZ6 riders only, the result would be quite different.

Ok......Well, I am a new FZ6 rider. I did my homework (read many posts) on the forum and chose BD43's mod. Why, you ask? I'll tell you...1-Its the best connection to hook in to. 2-Im not giving up my high beam. 3-I like to work on my bike. All of us "learned" how to ride, right? Learn how your bike works.
Thank you, I'll be here all zhaa weeek!

And stop typing in 3rd person....its weird.

tcmalker's mod is not "improper" in anyway and does not drain the battery in anyway. As a matter of fact, it's the safest on battery drain since you can choose to use single or dual light. Nobody can argue that fact.

Never said yours was improper. I was refering to some of the other mods, specifically Gand's.

....and yes, for the love of christ stop refering to yourself in the 3rd person. It's retarded.

Last edited:
What, so new FZ6 riders don't need high beam? :confused:

This little thread, with a quick and simple mod has turned into one of the best giggles Ive had in a long time. Thanks to all involved. :thumbup:
Or should I say, Chris_D is enjoying this thread? ;)

Whats with posting in third person, very odd! Has the real tcmalker been kidnapped by tcmalkers biggest fan and now is pretendning to be him? Who knows!............Find out next in tcmalkers reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back