Texas.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
No this isn't a thread for bashing texas, atleast that's not the intent.

Basically I might have to move to Texas in the next year or so, and while I hate the idea, I don't neccessarily hate the idea of moving out of California.

For those who live/have lived there, what's it like?

What's it like registering a motorcycle? Is it difficult?
Any experience on CCW permits?

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I think it depends on what part of TX. Are you going to Austin or anywhere else in TX?

Yeah, that a Big question.

I think the biggest change will be the weather, probably hot and humid, and getting use to the southern talk. Like how y'all doin?

No State Income Tax!

pooty

Reaction score
Visit site
been here 54 years no complaints. cept for the yankees that move here and say how much they hate texas. SO GO HOME. no problem with the conceal carry unless you are a criminal.

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Best state in the union. Stay away from the big cities & you'll be fine. :D

Last edited:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I lived in Colorado for 30 years before moving to Austin about 14 years ago. The cost of living is much less than CA, no state income tax, and the state is pro business to economy isn't terrible. The state isn't broke and is seems like most of the people, at least in Austin, are from another state anyway. The summers are hot and humid but once you learn not to dwell on it and drink lots of water you'll be fine.

Oh and the cowboy thing...not so much...that is the stuff of people's minds eye.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I lived in Colorado for 30 years before moving to Austin about 14 years ago. The cost of living is much less than CA, no state income tax, and the state is pro business to economy isn't terrible. The state isn't broke and is seems like most of the people, at least in Austin, are from another state anyway. The summers are hot and humid but once you learn not to dwell on it and drink lots of water you'll be fine.

Oh and the cowboy thing...not so much...that is the stuff of people's minds eye.

Sounds pretty decent to me...except for maybe the humidity...and I just love a good cowboy hat anyway...:eek:

BranNwebster

The UNO Master
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It's not bad. I don't like Houston as much as I did when I was single. If I could live anywhere it would be near Austin or San Antonio. You will be very disappointed with the beaches here, this part of the Gulf is muddy. I've got ten months left to fulfill my contract and unless I get a massive raise I'll try and move. You will like the tax relief you'll get moving here from California, but property tax can be high in some areas. In this area a 200k dollar home can average 450 a month in taxes. If you like food I've found that Texas has some of the best restaurants in the country especially in ethnic menus. The people here are some of the best and we love to party so your local calendar will be full of fairs, parades, festivals, rodeos, sports, arts, live music, etc. The Houston Rodeo comes up in a few weeks (its not all cowboys and country music) and it last like three weeks and has a huge fair and one of the biggest barbecue cook offs in the country.

If you let us know what part of Texas you moving to we can be more help.

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have spent a few months in texas in the last year and a half. I have found that as long as you stay away from the lower income areas of the cities it is a great place. I liked the river walk in San Antonio! As far as the humidity, i didn't find it too be that bad, I was there 3rd week in august. Just like most places, as long as you treat them with respect they will treat you with respect!

doc_simple

Meat Popsickle
Reaction score
Visit site
just dont move anywhere near clover, texas. Aint no clover, or any living thing around that place.

San Antonio and Austin look pretty rockin though.

Kilbane83

Member With Members
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, San Antonio is a huge city, but not a traditional city. It spawls out across a good 60mph from center of town in any direction. There is a "downtown" but it's not like cali cities with huge buildings and skyscrappers. Very few buildings in San Antonio would make you break a sweat if you took the stairs. The river walk is a tourist thing.. it's neat once I guess. Lots of history and the such.

Austin and San Marcos area have alot of college kids. Austin has a really lively night life.. partially due to Fred and Pete I think.. but there is no evidence of that.

Houston.. depending on the side of Houston you're on can be nice, or smell like oil and fish all day. North Houston is the closest to northern Cali I've found in Texas. (I miss mountains). Houston is closer to the "big city life" and has alot more traffic it seems.

Speaking of traffic I'd say overall Texas has one of the best road system in the USA. You'll be pleasantly suprised at how little traffic there is in comparison to almost anywhere in Cali.

I don't care for the weather, but what can you do. Lately it's been awesome though I'll say that.

All in all it depends on where in Texas you're moving.. it's a huge state with pretty diverse cities.

agmom98

Navy mom
Reaction score
www.agmom98.com
Basically I might have to move to Texas in the next year or so, and while I hate the idea, I don't neccessarily hate the idea of moving out of California.

For those who live/have lived there, what's it like?

When/if you get to Texas, be sure to let us Texans know; we'll show you where the good roads are (no, Texas is definitely not all flat)

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I will say about the road system in Texas, they are unique. The on and off ramps onto the freeways that merges with service road and the u turn only lane that swings underneath the freeway. Just a Texas thing.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I will say about the road system in Texas, they are unique. The on and off ramps onto the freeways that merges with service road and the u turn only lane that swings underneath the freeway. Just a Texas thing.

That would be a "Texas Turnaround". They are very handy once you get the hang of the system.

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I miss my turnarounds.

The roads here are backwards as hell and no way to turn around without going miles out of the way or doing something illegal.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
Well my dad wants to move to Humble, because my brother lives there.
It's pretty close to Houston, which I've heard bad things about.

If I did move there, I'd definitely travel around all over the state, and maybe even to some of the other southern states.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Houston is okay. There are some nice areas there, like about Rice University. The Woodlands area is nice too, lots of trees, hence the name. :rolleyes: Excellent resturants and if you are into high end shopping that too. That said there are some yuck areas too, just like any city.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Never lived there but I would love to. Austin and Dallas/Ft Worth are my favorite cities that I've experienced, Houston and San Antonio not so much, but still OK.
I love good barbeque, I love chili, I like Tex-Mex cooking, I love steak. I love tall women who can whup my ass when necessary. I love lightning storms (Utard only gets lightning during certain snowstorms, WTF???).
I could live in Texas, easily. Good luck! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

BranNwebster

The UNO Master
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I saw this in the Houston Chronicle.

A Dozen Happy Thoughts About Houston

1. Indisputably good things about Houston: live oaks; the weather in February; the comfortable diversity; Discovery Green; Dixie Friend Gay’s bayou mosaic at Intercontinental Airport; the Knittas; Lightnin’ Hopkins; Lights in the Heights; Workshop Houston’s Chopper Shop; the Bellaire Chinatown, biggest in the U.S.; art cars in nighttime parades; the Ocean of Soul; buckyballs; the bats under the Waugh Street bridge.

2. Houston, one of my correspondents assures me, is a city where you can play golf year-round. He also notes that, “as the Aggies say,” you can bowl year-round here, too.

3. The bayous and air are cleaner than they used to be. Hermann Park keeps getting better. Lynn Wyatt and Stump the Sussex spaniel look fresher every day.

4. Stuff that makes us nostalgic: the Astrodome; the River Oaks Theatre; Leon Hale; the El Dorado Ballroom; AstroWorld; Michael DeBakey; the Buffs; Cactus Music; Gilley’s; the Axiom; the giant neon ****roach on U.S. 59; the Love Street Light Circus; Marvin Zindler; “Houston, the Eagle has landed.”

5. We Houstonians are a hardy breed with finely honed survival skills. “There is no such thing as a dangerous high-speed chase in Houston,” cracked one online reader. “We all drive like that.”

6. Hurricanes bring out the best in us.

7. Beautiful places: the Rice campus; the neighborhood surrounding the Menil Collection; North and South boulevards; and (in a strange way) the Beer Can House.

8. Free chips and salsa are a Houstonian’s birthright.

9. Stuff that makes us unique: our lack of zoning; the oil business; a medical center the size of other cities' downtowns; the Ship Channel boat tour for tourists.

10. In these dark times, our economy remains relatively healthy. “I have always been able to work here,” wrote one man, “whether I wanted to or not.”

11. We know how to pronounce difficult street names: “Bissonnet,” “San Jacinto,” “Kuykendahl.” That prowess shines brightest when compared to New Yorkers, who mangle the simplest word in the world. “How-ston” Street, they call it.

12. That irks us. It also irks us that New Yorkers don’t understand the vast gulf between Houston and Dallas. Sometimes it seems that the rest of the world doesn’t know we exist — or, worse, knows only the bad stuff. (Do we have to claim R. Allen Stanford? Can’t he belong to Antigua?) We desperately want the world to appreciate our city — but first they have to understand it. And for us to explain it, we have to understand it ourselves.

DaveMc

Reaction score
Visit site
I live on the northwest fringe of Houston, Humble is on the northeast fringe. The advantage being that you're close enough to enjoy Houston's amenities and are 5 minutes away from a rural road to enjoy. I grew up in Texas and left and have been back here about 4 years. I'll agree with a lot of the other sentiments here, Texas isn't what it used to be. Well, except for that open carry handgun legislation being debated right now. Seems that for some a concealed handgun just won't cut it. I don't know though, the belt holster and sidearm would probably clash with my style...

(no offense to anyone who thinks carrying a gun old-west style is a great idea. I'm just sayin', that's all...);)