Thanks everyone! -- 2006 FZ6 Project Bike

rtw

Reaction score
Visit site
I wanted to thank you all for a great forum. After reading lots of advice on this website I bought and restored a 2006 FZ6, and I am pretty psyched. This is my first street bike (I have a dual sport, DRZ400).

I figured this group might want a few details:

- I paid $1900
- 17,000 miles
- Engine and tranny seemed perfect
- Generally excellent condition (tires and chain seemed newish), but
- Front cowl fairing was loose and had some broken pieces

I gave the whole bike a going over (fluids, bearings, etc.). I decided to rebuild the cowl/fairing rather than go naked (perhaps I will regret that). So, I went to an OEM site and got the new plastics I needed for about $450.

I resprung the fork (Racetech + 15wt oil) and fixed a leaking fork seal (new wipers and bushings).

As the bike was coming together I realized that the other fork was bent with some damage to the stanchion, so I went for a new fork tube (OEM, $110, not bad at all) and a used stanchion ($40 on ebay).

I also changed the front wheel bearings (the leaky fork seal damaged those), checked/replaced fluids, checked all fasteners, lubricated clutch cable (very sticky), and adjusted chain tension.

Several weekends of work and not too much money for a *great* bike. Runs like a top (with the usual 1st-2nd gear clunk you all have so thoroughly documented).

I cannot wait until the weather warms up and I can really go out and ride this thing.

Thanks again for such a great resource!

Solarservant

Thrill-Seeker
Reaction score
Visit site
I ride an '06 as well, but I didn't have to do anything to mine to get her roadworthy. As I read your post I was somewhat envious of what you got to dig into. Curious to know how the front end feels. Cheers on the new ride, and keep us updated.