That 600 mile sevice can be hazardous to your bikes health!

smist

Reaction score
Visit site
Had my bike for about 9 weeks now and done just over 1000 miles. After 5 weeks and 590 miles, I dutifully returned my bike to the dealer I bought it from for the '600 miles or 6 weeks' service. I also asked them to adjust the gear change lever for me at the same time.

In the UK, the first service (well labour anyway) is free if you take it back to the dealer you bought it from.

Took 1/2 day off work for the service (takes about 2 1/2 hours) and hung around drooling over the other new bikes in the showroom while I waited for it to be finished.

After 2 hours I returned and was told my bike was finished and I should go and check that the lever was correctly adjusted for my riding position. When I approached the bike, I noticed a chip of paint removed from just below the filler cap and about the diameter of a match head. It was very noticeable and I was understandably mad as my bike was in absolute mint condition when I dropped it off.

Long story short, after heated discussions, the dealer offered to have a 'professional spray job' done on the tank (after refusing my first request to swap the tank with a new bike in the showroom). The respray has now been done (more of a patch-up than a proper tank respray) and they have completely b&*$£erd it up!

I'm so mad about this and at this point in time they are refusing to fix their mess.

Moral or the story
-----------------

If you get a good deal on a bike, but don't fully trust the service dept at your dealership, don't take the bike back there for the 'free' first service. Just take it on the chin and pay for the service somewhere else where you do trust them.:mad:

smist

Reaction score
Visit site
I have written a letter last week to the Managing Director about this.

The company has so far made me feel like I am making too much fuss over nothing. I'm glad I'm not the only person who found this whole episode unacceptable.

I have spent so much time on the phone now trying to sort this out and couldn't believe it when I asked the workshop manager why they hadn't used a tank cover while doing the work. I was told they never used tank covers because their mechanics are all very 'experienced' and work on everything from scooters to bikes worth £40,000 - not that experience has anything to do with a simple accident or clumsiness.

The company have not accepted responsibility and deny causing the damage despite them performing a 'good will' repair job that was really bad.

I hope the M.D. takes the matter more seriously or I will have to persue other
avenues.

Real shame though; been 18 years out of the saddle and this latest acquisition should have been really exciting, but has now started to become more of a heartache.

mellofelow

Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldn't give a rat's arse whether they're experienced or not. A damage is a damage ... is a damage. It happened and their reflex is denial and then a botched fix.

FooFazer

Reaction score
Visit site
Re: That 600 mile service can be hazardous to your bikes health!

Might be worth a letter to Yamaha, Send a Photo of the repair and ask if they feel it is acceptable. I would have thought by attempting repair they have as good as admitted responsibility. When they did the repair did you reserve the right to reject it if you were unhappy with it ?

smist

Reaction score
Visit site
No, FooFazer, I didn't even think of reserving the right it at the time. I guess that everyone hopes the people they are dealing with have integrity and follow the same set of standards that they would apply to a similar situation.

Let this be a wakeup call to those that are offered a good deal when buying -a good deal does not necessarily mean you will be offered good post-sales service by the same company. Make sure you choose carefully when selecting the guys that do the work on your bike and be sure that they apply the neccesary common sense i.e. tank covers BEFORE working on your bike (you would think it was comon sense, but that seems to be quite subjective).

Hollow

Happy Thankful Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Had my bike for about 9 weeks now and done just over 1000 miles. After 5 weeks and 590 miles, I dutifully returned my bike to the dealer I bought it from for the '600 miles or 6 weeks' service. I also asked them to adjust the gear change lever for me at the same time.

In the UK, the first service (well labour anyway) is free if you take it back to the dealer you bought it from.

Took 1/2 day off work for the service (takes about 2 1/2 hours) and hung around drooling over the other new bikes in the showroom while I waited for it to be finished.

After 2 hours I returned and was told my bike was finished and I should go and check that the lever was correctly adjusted for my riding position. When I approached the bike, I noticed a chip of paint removed from just below the filler cap and about the diameter of a match head. It was very noticeable and I was understandably mad as my bike was in absolute mint condition when I dropped it off.

Long story short, after heated discussions, the dealer offered to have a 'professional spray job' done on the tank (after refusing my first request to swap the tank with a new bike in the showroom). The respray has now been done (more of a patch-up than a proper tank respray) and they have completely b&*$£erd it up!

I'm so mad about this and at this point in time they are refusing to fix their mess.

Moral or the story
-----------------

If you get a good deal on a bike, but don't fully trust the service dept at your dealership, don't take the bike back there for the 'free' first service. Just take it on the chin and pay for the service somewhere else where you do trust them.:mad:
Same happend to me well sort of. I bought my 07 FZ6 and started riding. One day I noticed two scratches on the front black rim about a 1 inch to 2 inches long. I started looking at the bike to see what may have done this. I found the two bolts that hold the front fender were missing nuts and the bolts were falling back on the rim while getting lodged between the rim and hole they were in. The same out come happend to me. They just touched it up and that was it. I can still tell it since I know what to look for and yes was upset with the fact they done the damage to a brand new bike and would not replace the rim with another one.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I had quite a problem over getting a owner's manual for my '07 FZ6.The dealer supplied me with a manual for an '06 or earlier: can you imagine? It took me several telephone calls, a long letter and tel conversation with the dealership mgr and after I completed a on-line post sale Yamaha survey before I got results. And, that was over a month later. This, after all the Yamaha "warnings" about reading owner's manual, etc., before operating the vehicle. It's amazing, isn't, how lousy Yamaha can be regarding post sales? I'm not overly impressed either. But, you know, all the manufacturers are probably just as lousy when it comes to CERTAIN dealers. But, in reality, how does one KNOW what dealers are good to deal with after a sale? Too bad your dealer couldn't do a satisfactory touch up. Probably the best you can do is just send a written complaint to UK Yamaha.

smist

Reaction score
Visit site
I checked-out my bike fully when I received it as I had an inkling that these guys were a bit sloppy. e.g. one thing I noticed immediately after I drove it from the showroom home was the placement of the overflow hoses from the tank.

The users manual states that there are 3 hoses on the right hand side of the bike. Each one is marked with a white 'ring' indicating exactly where it should be positioned. The reason for this is two of them are overflows from the petrol tank and they should be BELOW the exhaust pipes to stop fuel from dripping onto the naked hot pipes. Well, when I got home with the bike, I found only one in its correct position; the other two (the tank overflows) were buried up inside the frame. After this discovery, I checked all the fasteners over the bike and found nothing else out of place.

From memory, I think this is one of the first pre-ride 'safety' checks that should be performed.

I guess that I'm just an idiot letting them service the bike after that! I thought it was just an oversight.

outkast

Reaction score
Visit site
By repairing the paint chip havn't they accepted responsibility, send them a seven day letter stating their mistakes and that you want a reply with their intentions in writing within seven days.
Then contact a solicitor (many give an hour free consultation). Then sue the bastards!

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
`They may work on 40,000 pound bikes. It doesn`t say they do a good job.

Just so all the guys know, what do they call the company?

Steve

smist

Reaction score
Visit site
steveindenmark

There's nothing I would like to do more than 'name and shame', however I would need to be absolutely sure of the legal consequences to me if I did such a thing. Unfortunately, I would need to seek legal advice before doing this and I'm not prepared to spend a dime on this episode because I am the victim.

smist

Reaction score
Visit site
Bit of a result guys. M.D. came through and it sounds like they are going to give me a new tank:thumbup:

Still early days, but it is looking promising. Either a tank off a new showroom bike, or if they do not have one, they will order one in.

What a relief! Can't wait to get this whole episode behind me. Thanks for the kind support from everyone.

Will update this thread when I have a shiny new tank fitted.

tuningfork

Reaction score
Visit site
IMO I would have never let them respray given the quality of the OEM paint on the tank it will be hard to match, and I'd rather have small chip vs a whole bad sprayjob..

However It's probably also unreasonable to expect a new tank, maybe if they dented it however.

My advice for something that small would be to touch it up then use "langka" to blend it in. LANGKA Paint Chip and Scratch Repair I've fixed many chips on my cars with this system, works great with some patience.

Or take it to a pro that specializes in small touchups, here in the US there are several mobile shops that do PDR and paint chip repair. Then negotiate with the dealer to cover the cost. And don't take it back for any more work. :spank:

EDIT: I see you got a new tank, so :)

smist

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't see why I should pick up anything less than the pristine bike I dropped off. It was only 5 weeks old and perfect. Most businesses would have insurance cover for stuff like that.

I agree, if I had chipped it myself, I would not have replaced the tank or resprayed, but I didn't - they did.

If I worked on someone else's property, I would stand by my reputation and do the right thing by them. It's all about personal integrity.

Last edited:

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow! Glad you got it sorted out mate! That's a poor business to have to deal with.

I do all my own work on the bike but if I have to bring it in, I'll be 100% sure I take LOTS of pics to show there is no damage before I drop it off.

Keep us informed. Good luck!

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Congratulations on your persistence. Looks like it's going to pay off, huh? You know, on the tank Yamaha uses a special clear coat (see Colorrite.com) that impervious to solvents/gasoline. That's why gasoline spills don't affect your the paint job. So, if dealer did end up touching up the job you would have to have a little bit of the special clear coat too. But, if you're getting anothe tank...no prob.