The Tire Blues...

JoeSTL

Reaction score
Visit site
Well I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but what the hell...

A couple days ago I found a screw in my tire. Pilot Road 2's that I put on last year. 7k miles and still a ton of tread left. I plugged the hole and it surprisingly kept the pressure, however there is definitely a wobble now. Crap. So I need a new tire... bummer....

Then, tonight I realized I still have the old tire I pulled off last year when I first got the bike. It's a BT020 and it was made in 2006. It's in almost perfect condition with only 1500 miles on it. Besides being dirty from sitting in my garage over the last year, it looks like a brand new tire.

Wait... before you judge... there's more....

I'm broke. Really broke right now. In a couple months, I can easily get a new tire, but right now I can't afford it.

Honestly, what's worse? Riding on a plugged tire with a wobble or riding on a tire that's 7 years old? Remember it's also only for a couple months. I guess a third choice would be not riding at all... :(

So imagine you're in my situation. What do you do?

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but what the hell...

A couple days ago I found a screw in my tire. Pilot Road 2's that I put on last year. 7k miles and still a ton of tread left. I plugged the hole and it surprisingly kept the pressure, however there is definitely a wobble now. Crap. So I need a new tire... bummer....

Then, tonight I realized I still have the old tire I pulled off last year when I first got the bike. It's a BT020 and it was made in 2006. It's in almost perfect condition with only 1500 miles on it. Besides being dirty from sitting in my garage over the last year, it looks like a brand new tire.

Wait... before you judge... there's more....

I'm broke. Really broke right now. In a couple months, I can easily get a new tire, but right now I can't afford it.

Honestly, what's worse? Riding on a plugged tire with a wobble or riding on a tire that's 7 years old? Remember it's also only for a couple months. I guess a third choice would be not riding at all... :(

So imagine you're in my situation. What do you do?
I would ride with the plug, lots of people here have plugged tyres and used them until replacement is required. I have ridden a stock BT with a bung for 7000 miles.
If you are only going to need a fix for a few months I would just put up with it.
Can you post a picture? Sometimes the bung sits higher than the level of the tyre surface and it takes a few miles for it to wear down to the right level, this is what causes the wobble.
Option 2
If you change the tyre out for the old one it would become very tempting to ride it until it required replacement. I would check with Bridgestone and see what their recommendation is? It might be a bigger issue to ride with mismatched tyres than a tyre with a bung?

Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Neil

pantone

peter
Reaction score
Visit site
BTW,I have ridden a tyre with three plugs without safety issue. The only problem bothering me is the minor leakage on the plugs and I need to check pressure more often. The best way to avoid plugging in your tyre is to ride carefully by the construction site. There is nail, steel piece on the road which will cut into your tyre.

JoeSTL

Reaction score
Visit site
I would ride with the plug, lots of people here have plugged tyres and used them until replacement is required. I have ridden a stock BT with a bung for 7000 miles.
If you are only going to need a fix for a few months I would just put up with it.
Can you post a picture? Sometimes the bung sits higher than the level of the tyre surface and it takes a few miles for it to wear down to the right level, this is what causes the wobble.
Option 2
If you change the tyre out for the old one it would become very tempting to ride it until it required replacement. I would check with Bridgestone and see what their recommendation is? It might be a bigger issue to ride with mismatched tyres than a tyre with a bung?

Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Neil

Thanks for the tips. Here's a pic after I did the plug. It was one of those rubber wick type. PITA to get in there, but did plug the hole. I shaved it down close to the tread, but there's probably a couple mm's to work off.

20130409_113606_zps9e4e8027.jpg

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the tips. Here's a pic after I did the plug. It was one of those rubber wick type. PITA to get in there, but did plug the hole. I shaved it down close to the tread, but there's probably a couple mm's to work off.

20130409_113606_zps9e4e8027.jpg
It looks very similar to the ones I have used before. It should wear down and reduce the wobble.
Neil

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Is the tire visably not round anymore or you can just feel the plug?

As stated above, the plug will wear down with some miles, you can trim it flush as that's where its going to end with time.

If that tire has a broken belt, visably out of round, etc, IMHO, I'd put the Bridgstone back on. Yes its old BUT, its UNDAMAGED. Just don't push the tire like you may a new tire...

Another option is to pull the tire and patch plug it from the inside. I used/have a Steelman 1/8", plug/patch combo on my rear tire on the FJR, about a half worn Bridgestone.

You do have to grind the inside baby smooth where the patch part goes. The last tire I did, it also needed re-balancing. It did not leak what so ever and being a combo patch pug (as long as the glue set up correctly) and where your puncture is, you should be fine for the rest of the life of the tire.. the biggest PIA is having/getting the tire removed from the rim. I brought the wheel to the shop, had the tire removed and ground/repaired the tire in the parking lot (with a cordless drill and small grinding attachment). You just have to bring it down enough to get rid of the inner casting "bumps". Once set up, had them remount the tire, re-balance and I was on my way..

With that said, shortly affter I got my FZ in 2009, I replaced the tires with PR2's. The front tire is still on the bike, looks like new, but was manufactured in 2008. Flame me as you will, but the tire works fine, absolutly no dry rot (garaged or covered) and I don't push the bike in the rain.. It'll stay there until its due for replacement.

Last edited:

mytoyota2003

Reaction score
Visit site
I have never plugged a tire on a bike before but my neighbor has many of times due to the fact he works at a construction site. He is always getting nails and screws in tires. He gets so mad after a new set of tires and the next day or so he is plugging it. He said he has to ride it for awhile before its smooth again and then sometimes has to re-balance the tire.

JoeSTL

Reaction score
Visit site

If that tire has a broken belt, visably out of round, etc, IMHO, I'd put the Bridgstone back on. Yes its old BUT, its UNDAMAGED. Just don't push the tire like you may a new tire...

How can I tell if the tire has a broken belt or not round anymore? Actually what is the tire belt?

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd ride the old tire for a few months. Don't be a Rossi and you will be fine, you know you are on an older tire. If you are real worried throw a tube in there.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
How can I tell if the tire has a broken belt or not round anymore? Actually what is the tire belt?

You mentioned that you had a "wobble". The tire belts are the same as a car tire, the inerds that supports the rubber. That small nail you have shouldn't be a major issue if you choose to repair it (IMHO, I would patch/plug it).

I'm sure you've seen tires worn down to the "cord". Next time, on an old tire, take a sawzall (reciprocating saw) and cut thru the side of the tire, you'll see all the layers of the tire. When a tire is about worn out, you'd be surprised how thin the middle actually is. That pretty much accounts for how nice new tires feel once installed, kinda like new shoes!

Some kits have you wallow out the hole larger to put in a plug. IMO, I'd try to keep the hole as small as possible, less likelyhood for spitting out a plug (most are very well made and do indeed stay in).

I did have an emergency kit (forgot the name of it) but it used a mushroom style plug, no glue, and half the time it leaked or spit out. I pitched that kit as it was about useless.

When I "picked" up a key in my rear, 1,000 mile PR2 tire (see below) recently, I was about a mile from the house. I knew immediatly something was wrong. Put it on the centerstand, found it and got home ASAP. By the time I got there, the key was fully imbedded causing at a 3/4"-1" gash. No way I was even going to try and repair that.

Last edited:

JoeSTL

Reaction score
Visit site
When I "picked" up a key in my rear, 1,000 mile PR2 tire (see below) recently, I was about a mile from the house. I knew immediatly something was wrong. Put it on the centerstand, found it and got home ASAP. By the time I got there, the key was fully imbedded causing at a 3/4"-1" gash. No way I was even going to try and repair that.

It sucks, but I understand nails and screws and other objects like that, but a key? Crap...

So I trimmed down the plug today and rode to work. No wobble anymore, so I guess I'll keep riding on it! I'll keep checking the tire pressure and as long as it holds, then it shouldn't be a problem in the future. Thanks for the help everyone! I can always count on good advice from the members of this forum. :D

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

As stated above, the plug will wear down with some miles, you can trim it flush as that's where its going to end with time.

Another option is to pull the tire and patch plug it from the inside. I used/have a Steelman 1/8", plug/patch combo on my rear tire on the FJR, about a half worn Bridgestone.

You do have to grind the inside baby smooth where the patch part goes. The last tire I did, it also needed re-balancing. It did not leak what so ever and being a combo patch pug (as long as the glue set up correctly) and where your puncture is, you should be fine for the rest of the life of the tire.. the biggest PIA is having/getting the tire removed from the rim. I brought the wheel to the shop, had the tire removed and ground/repaired the tire in the parking lot (with a cordless drill and small grinding attachment). You just have to bring it down enough to get rid of the inner casting "bumps". Once set up, had them remount the tire, re-balance and I was on my way..

With that said, shortly affter I got my FZ in 2009, I replaced the tires with PR2's. The front tire is still on the bike, looks like new, but was manufactured in 2008. Flame me as you will, but the tire works fine, absolutly no dry rot (garaged or covered) and I don't push the bike in the rain.. It'll stay there until its due for replacement.

i have to say as an automotive tech DONT USE the wicks, as stated in quote you need to unmount the tire put a pull through plug and do everything right by just jamming sticky tar in the hole you widen the hole and damage the plys if you want instructions please pm if not please get it don't ride with a bad plug if a plug from the inside is done correctly you can ride until tread is gone, as a professional and a good hearted individual get it done with a real patch pm me for more info if you need and yes ride on patches are fine just do it right and rebalance as once a tire starts to wear unevenly you can never get it to wear correctly again Tires are a maintenance hungry part of any vehicle.

edit it is not safe to patch above a 3/16 size whole anything above that can damage the structure of the tire.

JoeSTL

Reaction score
Visit site
i have to say as an automotive tech DONT USE the wicks, as stated in quote you need to unmount the tire put a pull through plug and do everything right by just jamming sticky tar in the hole you widen the hole and damage the plys if you want instructions please pm if not please get it don't ride with a bad plug if a plug from the inside is done correctly you can ride until tread is gone, as a professional and a good hearted individual get it done with a real patch pm me for more info if you need and yes ride on patches are fine just do it right and rebalance as once a tire starts to wear unevenly you can never get it to wear correctly again Tires are a maintenance hungry part of any vehicle.

edit it is not safe to patch above a 3/16 size whole anything above that can damage the structure of the tire.

Well it's been a few days of riding with no problems whatsoever. I've been on the highway and at speeds up to 80mph or so almost daily. Plus the tire has maintained tire pressure. I still plan on getting a new tire in a couple months, but I think it's good for now.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
I did have an emergency kit (forgot the name of it) but it used a mushroom style plug, no glue, and half the time it leaked or spit out. I pitched that kit as it was about useless.

Whaa? Is that the "Stop 'n Go" mushroom plug emergency kit? Are you serious----those plugs spit out and/or leak? Geeez. I shelled out the $50 or so (included the Co2 cartridges) and have been carrying around that kit. But, I've never used it yet. From what I hear you saying, one is better off just carrrying around the rasp and insert tool, small tube glue, and a rubber plug strip or two because those are probably just as dependable (probably a lot more) and easier to carry under the seat. I've plugged a M/C tire with one of those common $5.99 tire plug kits once and it lasted a few thousand miles but then started leaking. Since then (and on another new tire) I picked up a nail AGAIN in a relatively new BT023. The nail didn't enter the tire in the thick rubber area but inside one of the grooves where the tire is very thin. I bought a new tire, had Cycle Gear mount it and save (not discard!) the old (actually, near new) tire. I am going to smooth the inside of the tire, use one of those inside patches and have it ready to be mounted the next time I need a tire. No need to throw a near new tire away----that's crazy.

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Darn, just remembered I sold the mushroom style plug kit with my FZ6! Forgot to take it out. Guess I will have to buy another kit with proper plugs. :)

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Whaa? Is that the "Stop 'n Go" mushroom plug emergency kit? Are you serious----those plugs spit out and/or leak? Geeez. I shelled out the $50 or so (included the Co2 cartridges) and have been carrying around that kit. But, I've never used it yet. From what I hear you saying, one is better off just carrrying around the rasp and insert tool, small tube glue, and a rubber plug strip or two because those are probably just as dependable (probably a lot more) and easier to carry under the seat. I've plugged a M/C tire with one of those common $5.99 tire plug kits once and it lasted a few thousand miles but then started leaking. Since then (and on another new tire) I picked up a nail AGAIN in a relatively new BT023. The nail didn't enter the tire in the thick rubber area but inside one of the grooves where the tire is very thin. I bought a new tire, had Cycle Gear mount it and save (not discard!) the old (actually, near new) tire. I am going to smooth the inside of the tire, use one of those inside patches and have it ready to be mounted the next time I need a tire. No need to throw a near new tire away----that's crazy.

It was indeed a "STOP AND GO KIT".

I currently carry, for emergencies, a Dyna tire repair kit. Very simple to install, you can add more than one plug if the hole is large.

What's really good about it is that, should you decide to do a permanent repair (patch/plug combo), its got a pointy head inside the tire that you can likely remove from the inside (I never had to) and do that permanent repair later..

Everything fits inside the handle, and its pretty small.. Super sticky plug that goes inside the insert handle (with the hard pointed end), push into the hole, remove the tool, the plug remains. You actually have to roll it some, usually spit on it so its a little more slippery to get it inside the insert tool.