Thinking about picking up a 07 Ninja 250R

Mark3d 4 D34th

Reaction score
Visit site
I found what I think is to be a good deal on a 2007 Ninja 250R is has 450 miles on it and is all stock and the lady bought it brand new She wants $1000 for it. Do you guys have any advise I what to look out for on these? Are the Carbs a pain? I am buying so the wife can learn and just because I heard they are alot of fun. I would like to get a set of Two Bros for it and a K&N thats about it. Let me know what you think

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That's a smokin deal!!

These bikes are very simple to work on. Typical used bike buying advice applies: check tank for rust, check tires for age and dry rut.

If the bike starts and runs, you shoudn't need to do anything with carbs.. just run seafoam for first few tanks.

As for exhaust.. it's a bit of a PITA, actually. This bike will almost certainly not run right if you just swap out the cans. You will need to re-jet the carbs.

Marcelor73

Reaction score
Visit site
When you go look at it, make sure you start from cold. If she warmed it up before you get to see it, let it cool down completely.

Make sure the oil has been changed, or change it as soon as soon as you get it.

Those bikes are mostly bullet proof, so I 450 miles, I doubt there's anything you have to worry about.

I also wouldn't put any money in it. Why out a k&n and exhaust on a bike your wife will use to learn to ride then sell?

Good luck!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

adberns

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, $1k is a nice price for an 07 Ninja 250. I would make sure it runs well as far as throttle response and warm-up - only 450 miles means it has sat a lot! On the flip side, those Ninjas have a little delay in throttle response anyways, so if it rides well, don't get too concerned.

My sister-in-law has an '07 250, and it is relatively easy to work on, gets great gas mileage, and can go as fast as I want it to (6'4", 250lbs at the time). Great fun bike for both your wife and you.

The Ninja 250 Rider's Club is a great resource, containing tech information for anything you may want. You can also find a shop manual to help you out.

If your wife likes it and it idles/runs fine, I wouldn't hesitate to spend $1000 on it!

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
I ride one and love it. :thumbup: It's the most fun you'll have on a bike.:cheer:

Just take off the flames on the side, and the bike will be faster.:BLAA:

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
When buying used bikes I've always benefitted from articles I've found on google which highlight "things to look for when buying a used bike" etc etc.

Mark3d 4 D34th

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys yes the flames gotta go I was joking with the wife saying I am going to get a Monster sticker kit for it since its a Kawi. I will google a list for what to look for. and ofcourse keep in mind the things posted. The FZ6 was my first time I have ridden since 2003 when I moved to Germany and that was only last year so I am still worried when it comes to used bikes and relearning how to ride and get the wife envolved. thanks again

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 15t sprocket on the front, and it takes all the vib out of the bike on the highway and can get 70mpg.:rockon:

Did I say how much fun it is to ride around town. :thumbup:The thing is like being on rails. It will make you a better rider for sure.:rockon:

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
I miss my '03. What a great bike. I also had the 15T front sprocket and it made a huge difference. I'd pick up another one but I have no room to put it anywhere.

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Go for it! I'd have a very good look at the tires. 5 years is a long time and they are at best hard and slippery. At worst they could be cracking.

A great bike, my first bike was a new 07 250. Put 7,000 miles on it in a year. Ditto all the comments about the carbs. Mine was a little particular about the choke when the temperature was below 40 but always started and ran well. Don't know how readily available slip-on are but you won't get much increase in power. The 07 and previous Ninja's had more top end power compared to the 08 and later. The 08 and later have better midrange power. My recommendation is to buy it and enjoy it for what it is. Ride it like you stole it! I had more fun going up and down thru the gears and working on smooth cornering to keep the speed up.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Thanks guys yes the flames gotta go I was joking with the wife saying I am going to get a Monster sticker kit for it since its a Kawi. I will google a list for what to look for. and ofcourse keep in mind the things posted. The FZ6 was my first time I have ridden since 2003 when I moved to Germany and that was only last year so I am still worried when it comes to used bikes and relearning how to ride and get the wife envolved. thanks again

Not trying to be the wet blanket in all of this.... if you are stationed in Germany, are you buying the bike from another service member, or is the bike out on the economy? Are there any legal concerns as a result? How does registration and the like work out?

2old2ride

Reaction score
Visit site
I found what I think is to be a good deal on a 2007 Ninja 250R is has 450 miles on it and is all stock and the lady bought it brand new She wants $1000 for it. Do you guys have any advise I what to look out for on these? Are the Carbs a pain? I am buying so the wife can learn and just because I heard they are alot of fun. I would like to get a set of Two Bros for it and a K&N thats about it. Let me know what you think
While you are thinking about picking one up you also need to think about getting rid of it. When the local puppies ask me about learner bikes I tell them what counts is inseam length, weight and resale. Is there a reason why it is such a good deal? I have spent the last 4 months hawking craigslist. Lots of "Ninjas" (snear quotes) there. I would bet there are at least 4 "Ninjas" for every buyer. 250's and 500's.
That is because the marketing types ( Dante left out their level) convinced a bunch of gulliable kids that they needed to learn on a small slow boring bike. That too much power would kill them.
Power doesn't kill motorcycle riders, stupid does. 5 Hp. and stupid will kill you quicker then 200 Hp and smart.
So how good will this deal be this summer when you get bored and want an upgrade? Can you sell it (A little brother?) or will you join the legions of youth selling their 'training bike'?
I started my middle son off on a GSX 750. He's riding my old ZZR1200 nowadays.
My youngest started on a Honda CBR 600 F4i. That is because he was physically smaller then his older brother. He is riding an YZF-1 today. It's blue.
A first bike should be one that fits and you will still be riding when you make your last note.
As far as the ad men, I have a getaway plan AND an escape kit. Bring it on!

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
While you are thinking about picking one up you also need to think about getting rid of it. QUOTE]

What???? He has a bike, and this would be a Fun toy for him ,and a bike for his wife to learn to ride.

Borning????If you get bored of a 250 ninja, You Don't Know How to Ride It!!!!!!!!!!!!:BLAA: