Thinner Headgasket?

FlyguyCFI

Reaction score
Visit site
Has anybody tired a thinner headgasket to bump up the compression in our motors? I know people do this with other bikes, but I didn't know if anyone here has...

In my experience, a thinner head gasket would gain you a little bottom end, while robbing your midrange, and ruining your top end. I have no experience at all with this particular bike, though. I recommend careful research from someone has has done this, with an emphasis on other mods to finish the job. Good luck, ready

On my old RZ350 the head was decked by .040 if I remember correctly. The increase in power was amazing. Now that was on a old two-stroke twin that red lined at 10,000 rpm, not a modern 4 stroke. As long as you can control/set/adjust the ignition it should work fine, might need super fuel too.

Not sure what you would get out of it. Let us know.

It has been my experience that once you start knocking on the door of 13:1 comp you need octane up over 100.

Also some serious remaping would be in order as well.

Thinner gasket means increasing compression ratio...so it gives more power... Techically as said you need higher rated octane gas...And remapping can be needed.

i think that removing .040 from a head and changing the head gasket are little bit different, i think that it would be a little less, and if someone really wants to do this just go fill the bike up at an airport, they have 100 oct and 110 oct for jets(it makes starting dirt bikes in winters a dream).

i think that removing .040 from a head and changing the head gasket are little bit different, i think that it would be a little less, and if someone really wants to do this just go fill the bike up at an airport, they have 100 oct and 110 oct for jets(it makes starting dirt bikes in winters a dream).

Oh yeah, .040 was just an example, each bike is different. On my RZ the decking changed the squish area too.

I'm not sure. I'm just throwing the idea out there and seeing what you all think.

I have 100 octane available at my local gas station but it's some rediculous price.:shakehead:

This is why the moto gods have bestowed upon us compression rings and big bore kits. Using a thinner head gasket will just get your motor into trouble. The truth is: how much do you really want out of your bike, and are you willing to sacrifice reliability to get it? Upping the compression now means that you're putting more stress on the pistons and valve train, and while the Japanese make some bulletproof motors, it's going to take its toll. In addition, you can't just use your standard gasket material and expect it to hold up. Getting thin means you need a metal gasket, and like others said you have to adjust your ignition and fuel delivery timing. Your fuel choice is going to depend on your spark plug choice and the average temperatures in the area you ride. You would have to experiment with different octanes and see if you get knock or not. Personally, it seems like a lot of work for little return.

Back