Thoughts on converting 05FZ6 to dedicated track bike?

Johnson

I don't have a lot of track experience (1 CS course) but interested in converting my current 05 FZ6 commuter into a dedicated track bike. I heard it is better to start on a 300 for a track bike and it's a lot cheaper (tires go through faster?) Curious what everyone's thoughts are

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
For a track noob, you won’t be eating though tires on a 600 nearly as fast as an advanced rider, so tire cost isn’t much of a factor.

In fall of 2013 I did a track day on my FZ6 and decided I wanted to get more into it the following year so I bought a “dedicated track bike” - something that I wouldn’t have to spend a ton of time prepping/removing mirrors/luggage racks, etc, and a bike that was cheap enough that I could ride without worrying about crashing or being without a street bike in the event of a crash.

I looked for a deal on any older 600/650, ended up buying a 1999 CBR600 for $800 that ran good but had been laid down by some street squid. I spent maybe $450-500 on a set of tires, new chain/sprockets, new brake pads, and oil/fluids changed. Rode that about 6 track days in 2014 and had a blast. The following winter I put another few hundred bucks towards appropriate fork springs and a used Penske shock. Rode that the following year before selling it for a few bucks profit.

If you can afford to have two bikes, I wouldnt recommend making the FZ6 a track bike- it makes a better commuter than track bike. If you’re only having one bike, a commuter that you’ll occasionally track, it’s great for that. Every time I rode the FZ6 to work on a Monday after tracking the perfectly-carbureted CBR I would get annoyed at the FZ6’s twitchy throttle. Any older sportbike with springs for your weight would be a good choice, or you can often buy previously set up track bikes for good deals.

Which get me thinking, I may sell my current track bike come spring time, I wasn’t feeling too into it my last track day in September. It’s a 2001 CBR600, previously was a race bike, so it’s fully set up, suspension, rearsets, track plastics, etc. If I do sell it, it’ll be <$2500ish, and I’m just over in CT..

Last edited:

Fz6 2007

Just wanna say any R compound tire will only last 2,000 miles but no matter what you track --- tires , tires , tires ...
M

Best of luck ,and yes you can drag a knee on a FZ6 !!!

Johnson

Are R compound tires strictly for track? Could I use my current commuter tires (Pilot Road 4) if they have a lot of remaining track or would you recommend getting a pair of track tires and then switching back to commuting? My only is I don't have a garage or car and this would need to be done at the track and I would have to do something with the tires (leave them there?). Leaning towards not coverting the bike to a dedicate track but as one off track days while I am still commuting.

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
The pilot roads are plenty sticky enough for your first few track days, probably at least until you get to mid/fast intermediate group. As long as they have plenty of tread, drop the pressures down to 30/30 and let er rip!