Thoughts on possible new bike

Bigchess

Reaction score
Visit site
I need some help on a possible new bike decision. I used to own a 07 FZ6 and sold it a few years ago. Now I'm hoping to get back into street biking (After doing over 20yrs dirt biking)

I want a 07-08 FZ6 with no mods and in mint condition with less than 10k miles. I like those years because of the new dash and they still have 98HP at the crank.

I found a bike about 4hrs away from my house. It has 1 owner who is in his 40's and the bike is an 07 FZ6 with 3,xxx miles. All stock except for the 3 Givi cases in the back. He is asking a firm 4,400 for the bike. Everything he has done to the bike sounds legit except he uses Castrol 10w-30 car oil instead of motorcycle oil (He did not know the exact type) and uses Fram oil filters. He claims the bike has never been down and the bike is in showroom condition.

My only concerns with the bike is the car oil he has been using in it with the clutch and the condition of the tires. Do you all think the bike will need new tires obviously not from miles but from age. He has already stated he will not lower the price. My cost if I cannot get him to the lower the price is:

Bike: $4,400
Oil, coolant and air filter change (Chain lube to): $60 I do this to all my bikes to ensure I know what is in it.
Tires: ???? Anyone had their tires replaced if I need them done?
Travel: $200 (Gas, Hotel, Food)
Insurance: $275ish/yr
Taxes/Transfer: 260ish

Total all: 5195 not including tires.

What do you guys think?

mnuttall87

Reaction score
Visit site
I use 10W-30 car oil and Fram Filters on my bike. I've been using the full synthetic Castrol oil and it runs absolutely perfect.

As for tires -- just got Michelin Pilot 3's put on for around $300 for the set installed. I like them a lot, they stick to everything really well.

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Seems like a fair price with the givi I bet he lowers he price when you got cash in your hand standing in front of him, as for the oil I'm fairly sure wet clutches as LSD differentials have only have a few more ingredients in the oil usually it's a friction modifier, I personally would be bothered that its car oil not moto oil but I have to do more research to clarify that

why_not_Zoidberg?

Reaction score
Visit site
What do you need to stay in a hotel for? It's only 4 hours away...

I'd say that's a damn good price, especially with the Givi's.

I paid 3k for my '06, it had 15k miles, scorpions and sliders.

Bigchess

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the replies. I will prob have to stay the night because it will be very late friday night when I get a chance to see the bike. Going to try to do an oil change and coolant change and get it home that night if I can.

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
Seems like a fair price. In my area, the bike itself would be in the $3500-4000 range with that low miles this time of year. The Givi top&side mounting brackets cost about $300 total new, the 3 cases cost about $300-500, depending on the cases.

If you weren't interested in the luggage, you could probably find a cheaper bike for <$4000. Or you could easily sell the Givi stuff on here/ebay/CL.

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
6 year old tires must be replace regardless of mileage.

If you're stretched on dollars and you don't need the cases, they can be parted out (either by him or yourself).

Sounds like an appropriate price. You can try to do the cash dance in person, but he's gonna have the upper hand knowing you drive 4 hours to see the bike.

Bigchess

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the input. I did not know really what to think of the car oil being used in the bike and how that could affect what I should be paying for the bike. Being I will be driving 4hrs the guy pretty much has the leverage on negotiations.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the input. I did not know really what to think of the car oil being used in the bike and how that could affect what I should be paying for the bike. Being I will be driving 4hrs the guy pretty much has the leverage on negotiations.

As long as the car oil does not have friction modifiers (marked "energy conserving") it will not cause a problem for the engine or the wet clutch.

chemicalsmile

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd worry less about the oil/filter type and more about the change intervals - averaged out that's only 600 miles a year...hopefully he's been changing it before winter storage.. Even if it's energy converving oil you can flush it out and it's not like it's seen a ton of miles using it. Good luck with the purchase