Throttle cable adjustment question

james.letner

Reaction score
Visit site
I adjusted my throttle cable free play today and "followed the service manual to the letter"

After removing the air box and bat I noticed that on the left side of the bike you can get to the adjustment very easy and make all the adjustments without having to remove the tank,air box,and bat

What is yamaha a reason for making the adjustment in this way Other than making you feel that you spent an hour or two taking things apart for nothing?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
You really only need to lift the tank up if the throttle adjuster on the handlebars is at its limit. For the most part, you can just adjust your throttle play by using the screw on the grip throttle.

james.letner

Reaction score
Visit site
Well I did it at the throttle linkage because the manual says to do it there first and only adjust at the throttle if you cannot take up the slack at the linkage.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I did it at the throttle linkage because the manual says to do it there first and only adjust at the throttle if you cannot take up the slack at the linkage.

As noted above, you can adjust at the throttle assembly.

IMO, I'd rather have the fine tuning (as tight as possible W/O binding) up top. Much easier to access..

Thru out the manaul, Yamaha has you removing lots of things to do that isn't necessary..

IE, the thermostat is loacated at the rear of the engine. To replace it, Yamaha (the manual) has you pull the entire throttle body assembly(and everything else to get there). The thermostat can and has been replaced by members here WITHOUT PULLING ANY other parts. Tight, but very do-able..

Spark plugs, the manual has you loosening the radiator and moving it some to access the plugs.. It can be done (again, its tight) WITHOUT touching the radiator.. I've done mine, got a torque wrench in there as well in about 20 minutes total..

To replace the drive chain with an OEM, continuous chain (no master link), the manual has you pulling the rear exhaust, rear shock, wheel, then swingarm... A member here has replaced the OEM chain with ONLY loosening/ moving the swingarm.

I could go on, but you get the idea...

A search here will often give you tips / shortcuts that are very helpful and make servicing easier.. :thumbup:

Last edited: