Time to go Super Touring....I am buying a CBR1100XX Blackbird!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, i made the decision whilst i was away at the World Superbikes at Phillip Island, that it was time to get rid of Pinky (my FZ6N touring Mule), and get myself a big ar$e super tourer! namely a Honda Blackbird!

I have always liked these bikes, and am attracted to the long touring range, the oodles of grunt on tap, the combined brakes...great for touring 2 up...bike sits down, instead of dives under hard braking...no helmet smashing!

Today i found a 1997 model Blackbird, the Carby version, with 64000km's on it, for $5800!!!

I am going back to the shop next Tuesday to take it for a test ride, and hopefully broker a straight swap for my 2007 FZ6, including on road costs, and stamp duty, etc...

I will still have 1 FZ6 (or at least a bike that is based on an FZ6! :D), But i have decided that i want a bike with a huge daily touring range, an even bigger, and more comfortable seat than the great FZ6 seat, and the ability to carry 2 people, and a truckload of luggage, without blinking an eye...

Because as good as the lil' fizzer is at doing this gig, the reality is, there is always a bit of a compromise in terms of handling under such a load, and i do like to ride pretty hard, even 2 up.

Anyway, just thought i would share....

:thumbup:

Taku

Not a senile member.
Reaction score
Visit site
Uuu... That's a bold thing to do on a Yamaha forum but awesome none the less...

And do I even have to say that this thread is worthless wihout pics! :BLAA:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Uuu... That's a bold thing to do on a Yamaha forum but awesome none the less...

And do I even have to say that this thread is worthless wihout pics! :BLAA:

Lol! Well i would buy a Yamaha, but the closest thing Yamaha has is the FJR1300, and that thing is HUGE!!! It is physically massive, weigh's about 290kg's, as opposed to 220kg's for the Blackbird!!! :eek:

About the same amount of Horsepower though, but just too big...i like to go around corners fast!

Pic's will come when i finalise a deal, and get the thing home...but for now, this is the exact colour i am looking at...

View attachment 34068

:rockon:

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I suppose we can forgive you... maybe! :D I had a Honda before the Fizzer, and loved it for touring with my wife (then girlfriend). Besides, I'm sure all the Blackbird riders are drooling waiting to see what you're gonna do to it, mod wise :sinister:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I suppose we can forgive you... maybe! :D I had a Honda before the Fizzer, and loved it for touring with my wife (then girlfriend). Besides, I'm sure all the Blackbird riders are drooling waiting to see what you're gonna do to it, mod wise :sinister:

Lol! I joined the Blackbird forum today, to get some tips on what to look for in terms of potentialm problems with an older secondhand Blackbird.

I dont intend to go too crazy with mods, as i am about to start my Yamaha TRX850 project, and all my "mod money" will be going into that project in the short term at least...will end up with 2 TRX850's, one road bike, one track bike!

stink989

Reaction score
Visit site
great choice! love the blackbirds :thumbup:
the fjrs to feel a bit like a boat but damn they move! and turn way better then expexted, still feel like a bit big but im only 60kgs

Chris_D

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice choice! Ive always liked the Blackbirds as even though they look large-ish, they still look sporty and awesome! Personally i like the blue, and was one sleep away from buying one at one stage, but that's another story. And Ive seen Blackbirds do some of the best, longest, non-stop wheelies ever! That was at Bathurst Bikes 2000. Hmmmm, now I'm thinking of checking out Blackbids again..... :D

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice choice! Ive always liked the Blackbirds as even though they look large-ish, they still look sporty and awesome! Personally i like the blue, and was one sleep away from buying one at one stage, but that's another story. And Ive seen Blackbirds do some of the best, longest, non-stop wheelies ever! That was at Bathurst Bikes 2000. Hmmmm, now I'm thinking of checking out Blackbids again..... :D

The thing i like about the Blackbird, is the classic lines, they still look as good today as they did when they first came out way back in 1996/7!

I aint a wheelie hound, but i reckon they would be very easy to pull up onto the back wheel!

Taku

Not a senile member.
Reaction score
Visit site
Lol! Well i would buy a Yamaha, but the closest thing Yamaha has is the FJR1300, and that thing is HUGE!!! It is physically massive, weigh's about 290kg's, as opposed to 220kg's for the Blackbird!!! :eek:

About the same amount of Horsepower though, but just too big...i like to go around corners fast!

Pic's will come when i finalise a deal, and get the thing home...but for now, this is the exact colour i am looking at...

View attachment 34068

Tell me about it...

My dad owns a '09 FJR and my fizzer just looks miniscule next to it...:eek:

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Honda?? A fargging Honda?? Wolf, we can't let you do it. Today a Blackbird, tomorrow a Gold Wing. It's all part of their master plan to get you away from Yamaha. :spank: :Flip:

I'm sure you will like the Bird from what I have heard about them however you better get ready for tickets as those bikes can fly.

And what's this about a FJR being a bit hefty? Mine corners just fine with a few suspension upgrades and when crossing the desert with hard crosswinds she hunkers down just fine. All the tupperware is nice to get behind when it's close to freezing or raining (oh yea, you guys don't get cold wet weather down there:D) but the the best part is no chain!

Good luck, I hope you can pull off the trade!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Cool bike! I see one here in SD every once in a while and the guy who rides it uses it rain or shine as his commuter to work.
I believe that bike has the combined brake system that Honda also used on the Interceptors. When you actuate the front brake you get some rear brake added and virsa visa. :rockon:

scottsst

Reaction score
Visit site
I know a older retired guy that I ride with form time to time that loves Blackbirds. he is on is second one the first one had over 136,000 miles on it before he got another one. they really are a great bike ride the hell out of it!

Disco

A Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hard to argue with the logic of Wolfy buying a Blackbird.

But there is one major flaw with the bike that can never be fixed.

Its a bloody Honda :spank:

Shinn

Reaction score
Visit site
A HONDA?!!! Aww hell, I can't complain. If I didn't ride Yamaha my other choice would be honda, only two brands I trust around here. Blackbirds will fly. My friend had three of them in the span of 5 years. He just kept buying them and then selling them for more then he bought them for and then bought a new one with lower km's.

Now my choice would have been the yzf1000r thunderace. I love them for some reason.