Tiny cracks on tire...acceptable?...or not?

stev0258

Reaction score
Visit site
I like this forum. Good common sense answers (accept for the last one) to an important question. Part of my business is selling tire and all of the above are very good answers (again, accept for the last one). :thumbup:

I couldn't agree more with this statement.

Thank you for the quick feedback and source recommendations!

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
With all due respect to my fellow forum participants, anyone that says those tyres are fine, even in town is wrong.

Dangerously wrong.

The rubber has cracked because it's dried out and lost it's elasticity.

Thus, it no longer deforms correctly, and it is hard. (try it - drag your fingernail across it and it will mark)

I strongly recommend putting tyres on your bike immediately before riding again.

If you can't afford it, then don't ride your bike. Simple.

Each to his own, but I have seen tyres let go due to age, and have seen the incredibly reduced traction when the tyres have dried out.

Cheers,
Rick

P.S. The industry recommendation is a 5 year service life for tyres, too.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
With all due respect to my fellow forum participants, anyone that says those tyres are fine, even in town is wrong.

Dangerously wrong.

The rubber has cracked because it's dried out and lost it's elasticity.

Thus, it no longer deforms correctly, and it is hard. (try it - drag your fingernail across it and it will mark)

I strongly recommend putting tyres on your bike immediately before riding again.

If you can't afford it, then don't ride your bike. Simple.

Each to his own, but I have seen tyres let go due to age, and have seen the incredibly reduced traction when the tyres have dried out.

Cheers,
Rick

P.S. The industry recommendation is a 5 year service life for tyres, too.

With all due respect, and remember I'm saying with all due respect...

I didn't know you had a experimental surgery to have your balls removed!!!

Jk of course, when ever I see WADR I think of Rickey bobby lol

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Ride around in town if nothing else. If they fail, you'll probably first notice a bubble developing or it will go flat on the way to work on a boring 40 MPH boulevard. If you have funds to replace them immediately, then go for it. When you post up a thread as this, it's near automatic you'll get "replace" answers. Of course, the way I ride on tire threads would probably give many others a heart attack. I've seen somebody replace a set of four Pirellis with barely micorscopic "cracks" on "advice" of a tire salesman. I still think: "what a waste."

sloring

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
Ride around in town if nothing else. If they fail, you'll probably first notice a bubble developing or it will go flat on the way to work on a boring 40 MPH boulevard. If you have funds to replace them immediately, then go for it. When you post up a thread as this, it's near automatic you'll get "replace" answers. Of course, the way I ride on tire threads would probably give many others a heart attack. I've seen somebody replace a set of four Pirellis with barely micorscopic "cracks" on "advice" of a tire salesman. I still think: "what a waste."

finally, an honest forum member who doesn't jump on the bandwagon! :thumbup:

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh, so now I'm dishonest because I recommend replacing tyres that show obvious signs of being past their service life?

Or do you doubt that I've seen catastrophic failure of old tyres and it's not something I'd wish on anyone?

Or, are you that egocentric that anyone with a different opinion to yours is obviously lying?

It is a scientific fact. Due to UV and environmental considerations, the service life of tyres is an accepted 5 years. This is not my opinion, it is the opinion of industry professionals.

Believe what you will, but I have seen catastrophic failure of age and UV compromised tyres, and seen the results of independent tests and thusly agree with the industry standard.

Cheers,
Rick

sloring

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh, so now I'm dishonest because I recommend replacing tyres that show obvious signs of being past their service life?

Or do you doubt that I've seen catastrophic failure of old tyres and it's not something I'd wish on anyone?

Or, are you that egocentric that anyone with a different opinion to yours is obviously lying?

It is a scientific fact. Due to UV and environmental considerations, the service life of tyres is an accepted 5 years. This is not my opinion, it is the opinion of industry professionals.

Believe what you will, but I have seen catastrophic failure of age and UV compromised tyres, and seen the results of independent tests and thusly agree with the industry standard.

Cheers,
Rick

So magically, as the tire reaches its 5th birthday, it instaneously blows up and disentegrates? Or can you SAFELY ride it another year, maybe 2 or 3?

Waste your money and keep listening to the tire salesman, I mean industry professionals.

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
but honestly guys/gals tyres should not have cracks, so for me if they have cracks due to age, its about time to start thinking about replacing them, start saving for a set or something. you have to monitor air pressure more often as well and yes after 8 years of use on the bike the tyres would have lost the major part of their grip potential to the heat cycles and what not the environment throws at them.

and i dont think because tyres get past the magical 5 yrs they explode, the 5 years is their optimal service life, after that they start slowly degrading in perfomance.

if 300 dollars spent every 5-6 years for rubber(excluding nails) is too much for your safety, then don t ride motorcycles. every vechile has its running costs and tyres are one of them on motorcycles unfortunately along with oil and plugs.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So magically, as the tire reaches its 5th birthday, it instaneously blows up and disentegrates?

No.

the 5 years is their optimal service life, after that they start slowly degrading in perfomance.

Exactly.

if 300 dollars spent every 5-6 years for rubber(excluding nails) is too much for your safety, then don t ride motorcycles. every vechile has its running costs and tyres are one of them on motorcycles unfortunately along with oil and plugs.

Again, I agree. Easy to say they'll be fine, sitting on the other end of an internet forum., but if the guy rides and slips due to poor handling, or can't stop due to the rubber hardening, it could mean his life.

All because you THINK you know better.

Me? I prefer to err on the side of caution - and $300 really isn't too much to pay for one less worry.

Cheers,
Rick

Sparty76

Reaction score
Visit site
you're fine, don't be paranoid
you can get another 8k more miles out of that
unless you got the $$$, then change for peace of mind
but I wouldn't if I were you

Yea - I mean a blowout at speed isn't a big deal on a motorcycle! That's why we wear helmets right?

Sheesh. Bro.

sloring

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
This is where I got my tires from and cheapest I have seen anywhere, here

never, ever, buy tires online, especially when they are on sale. because they will send you tires that's already about the expire and explode

instead, head to your local dealership (exactly every 5 years) and buy new tires from them!