Tiny cracks on tire...acceptable?...or not?

Tagger

Reaction score
Visit site
If i knew my tire was like that, i would get scared ****less everytime i get on my bike and change the tire for my peace of mind alone if anything.

ste

Surfing the ethernet
Reaction score
Visit site
never, ever, buy tires online, especially when they are on sale. because they will send you tires that's already about the expire and explode

instead, head to your local dealership (exactly every 5 years) and buy new tires from them!
ok firstly buy from a reputable dealer and the tyres will be normally just the last few sets from fairly new tyre set, so long as you get the latest model
e.g. michelin pilot road 3 tyres will not be 5 years old and fail

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
never, ever, buy tires online, especially when they are on sale. because they will send you tires that's already about the expire and explode

instead, head to your local dealership (exactly every 5 years) and buy new tires from them!

Do what you want, it's your bike.

Sent from my N860 using Tapatalk 2

ricefazer

Reaction score
Visit site
So while were on the topic of old tires....these will be 5 years old at then end of the summer. Am I fine to use them for a few more months? Also, if I do decide to keep them on for a couple of months, is there anything I can do to increase grip/prolong life? Any tire care products that you guys would recommend?

They are stock Dunlop D252s and there are no visible cracks.

vinmansbrew

Reaction score
Visit site
Tire replacement is really subjective. It depends on a number of factors. Five years is a bit short to me, though I know some manufacturers suggest that. It used to be 7 years for bridgestone but they have since taken that off.

I will say that I have about 6 years on my tires, the oem tires, and they do kinda suck now. The front is ok but the back is getting hard.

I had spitfires on my cb750 for almost 10 years and they were finally getting hard. Storage plays a big part along with temperature changes and, I think, UV damage.
I do not base things on cracks unless they are quite large. I have seen tires under 3 years of age develop cracks.

I guess for me, if you ride hard, 5 years. If fairly conservative, I would do 7 years max if it is a quality tire.

In this case, I would change them. I would never go over 7 years no matter how nice the tires looked.

I do respect others opinion though and there is nothing wrong with what they are suggesting.