Today I Learned...

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
My bike actually has a 6th gear. I've been riding for a couple of weeks now mistakenly thinking it somehow jumped through 5 and 6 after failing to shift into 6 a few times. I figured it out - and well, I've got a sixth gear just like they told me!

(Couple of rides into Toronto and back in fifth gear, and some regrets over the pinch of gas money I could have saved by running the bike 1000 or so RPM lower)

I'm pretty embarrassed, but it's funny.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
My bike actually has a 6th gear. I've been riding for a couple of weeks now mistakenly thinking it somehow jumped through 5 and 6 after failing to shift into 6 a few times. I figured it out - and well, I've got a sixth gear just like they told me!

(Couple of rides into Toronto and back in fifth gear, and some regrets over the pinch of gas money I could have saved by running the bike 1000 or so RPM lower)

I'm pretty embarrassed, but it's funny.

I had the same confusion, assuming i;m skipping a gear while shifting down, turns out i'm counting wrong.
The reason my mind thought that way because, when i shift down from 6,5,4. The lever feels soft and moves up and down until i reach the very end where is actually clicks. If you don't understand what i said, i'll upload a video soon.
The one i already uploaded doesn't concentrate on this.

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
The reason I think people seem to be overlooking the six gears is that you only use 5 movements to get from first to sixth. Didn't count the movements, instead count gears. Then you'll see that you've had six all along. Think about it this way, if you've got one long box and you want to divide it into 6 smaller sections, you need 5 dividers, not 6.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The reason I think people seem to be overlooking the six gears is that you only use 5 movements to get from first to sixth. Didn't count the movements, instead count gears. Then you'll see that you've had six all along. Think about it this way, if you've got one long box and you want to divide it into 6 smaller sections, you need 5 dividers, not 6.

^^ I see what you did there! BlahBlah

And agree, its all about perspective. From N you move 6 times. After gearing down (48t rear) I'm always after the elusive 7th gear - that clickless bump up that does nothing. :shakehead: Tried it many times! :rolleyes:
Now go ride a VMAX w/5 spd gear box! :D:D

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
Also helps to read your owner's manual, assuming that you have one.

I knew the bike had six, just ended up in fifth in the past trying to upshift and didn't quite hit the lever right (might adjust it in the future) to get into sixth gear. I was under the assumption I was already in 6, and never really pressed the issue, or the lever.

It was a funny, face into palm type moment today when I found it.