transmission tear apart

kennedyted

Reaction score
Visit site
due to shifting issues( not the normal pita first from neutral, but pretty much from 3-2-1) i took the shift lever cover off nothing is bent, even had issues turning the shifter by hand(bout 50cent piece size with spindles on it) im going to take the tank and top of trans off, is there anything i should be looking for?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I really think to should seek out someone with some pro experience on this. You may cause yourself more woes if you lack the experience on understanding and tear down on the tranny. Have a pro give you an opinion on how your bike is down shifting. I've read some of the issue you've had on this in a previous thread. There are a few different criteria that must be met in order for the shifting to occur and i would let some one experienced with this issue give an opinion.
I'm not saying you can't do this yourself but you might get yourself in a more expensive situation than you need to if you don't have experience wrenching. :D

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
+1000!!!! on that!!!!

i would look at all options 1st before tearing into the tranny. 1st thing i would try would be a different shifting style, if you are in fact trying to go from 5th to 1st at a slow speed or stoped.

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
, even had issues turning the shifter by hand(

This doesn't prove anything without the gears spinning any motorcycle would have issues shifting especially shifting by hand.

Bring it to a shop to get looked at before you start removing the engine and splitting cases. They may find something simple that you missed.

And couldn't hurt doing another oil change. And remember too much or to little oil can cause problems also.

kennedyted

Reaction score
Visit site
actually it means the clearances from the shifter lever are all in normal working order and thats not the issue............. as i can spin it through 3 4 and 5 by hand ......no not from 5-1 stopped, as im coming to a stop i shift down normally and not all at once, im getting really annoyed with people telling its a normal issue, ive had the bike 3 years now and its not a normal issue, as ive said ive always had the normal issue release the clutch as little, roll the bike a smidge, not sitting there for 5-10 minutes trying to mash the bike into 2 then 1st, and always 2nd and 1st, as if maybe something is bent on the inside of the transmission,

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
actually it means the clearances from the shifter lever are all in normal working order and thats not the issue............. as i can spin it through 3 4 and 5 by hand ......no not from 5-1 stopped, as im coming to a stop i shift down normally and not all at once, im getting really annoyed with people telling its a normal issue, ive had the bike 3 years now and its not a normal issue, as ive said ive always had the normal issue release the clutch as little, roll the bike a smidge, not sitting there for 5-10 minutes trying to mash the bike into 2 then 1st, and always 2nd and 1st, as if maybe something is bent on the inside of the transmission,

So you've had the bike for 3 years but didn't know what headlights it had on it? Or any other of the typical first timer questions?...?...?...?

Anyways

Bike trannys are nothing like car trannys where you can go to any gear at any speed. Again spinning it by hand only finding the gears your describing is normal with out the bike moving. If something was bent inside the tranny you would more than likely not be able to shift at all. Could describe what you mean by downshifting normal? Like what speed or rpm your trying to come out of 5th and so fourth. On my bike if I go below about 30mph in any gear higher than 3rd I've experienced just about everything your describing.

stink989

Reaction score
Visit site
The way it sounds to me is you are trying to shift when not moving? If that's the case all bikes won't go down all the way properly when stationary because of the constant mesh gearbox. I recon you should take it to a good bike mechanic and get him to have a look and a ride before pulling anything apart.

You come across a little sh1tty in your replies you will most likely get more help if you are a bit calmer in replies, everyone is awsome around here don't go treating them bad just because it's not the answer you wanna hear.

Randomchaos

Flaming Hot Doughnut
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I would recommend taking it to a shop then and having them take a look at it, especially if you have never worked on a motorcycle engine/transmission before.

acniss

Reaction score
Visit site
Look not saying that you dont know how to shift, or that you dont know your bike, and that can't work on it youself. but your are about to get above most of the peoples tech level on here, not saying that there aren't poeple on here that can do it. I for one would take it to a shop if changing the oil doesnt work for you. I have rebuilt a trany before its not that much fun and its very time consuming. Take it to a shop and have them look at it. its always safer to have a second opinion on the problem. but good luck with whatever you decide to do.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Off hand it sounds as if the clutch does not fully disengage. If it always has drag on it from the cranks input shaft spinning it may be happier NOT USING the clutch! And I say this as a Diagnostic measure of its health.

So before digging in, go see how well it responds to clutchless shifting and try as best possible to match the RPM's. If it does this fine, I'd be more apt to look at the clutch first.

Q? Does it LEAP when dropped into 1st gear?

From another thread:

Percent difference per Gear!
1st > 2nd = 46%
2nd > 3rd = 25%
3rd > 4th = 17%
4th > 5th = 12%
5th > 6th = 10%

Example to upshift uuber smooth from 1 -> 2, the RPMs need to drop 46%!!!

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Off hand it sounds as if the clutch does not fully disengage. If it always has drag on it from the cranks input shaft spinning it may be happier NOT USING the clutch! And I say this as a Diagnostic measure of its health.

So before digging in, go see how well it responds to clutchless shifting and try as best possible to match the RPM's. If it does this fine, I'd be more apt to look at the clutch first.

Q? Does it LEAP when dropped into 1st gear?

From another thread:

Percent difference per Gear!
1st > 2nd = 46%
2nd > 3rd = 25%
3rd > 4th = 17%
4th > 5th = 12%
5th > 6th = 10%

Example to upshift uuber smooth from 1 -> 2, the RPMs need to drop 46%!!!

So what came of this thread?

kennedyted

Reaction score
Visit site
i replaced the spring on the inside of the shift lever assembly, seems to be better, if u take the oil cap off and release/pull the clutch u can see it engage/disengage, i tightened the cables but it didnt seem to do anything different

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
i replaced the spring on the inside of the shift lever assembly, seems to be better, if u take the oil cap off and release/pull the clutch u can see it engage/disengage, i tightened the cables but it didnt seem to do anything different

Q? - can you post a video of this so we can hear what's going on?

So you never said - what happens during clutchless shifting? This will tell you a good deal of info. PS - I know you say you like to hear the pipes but that still doesn't tell us anything about the style is which you ride. If I had a camera I'd post a clip myself but I don't.

FWIW: clutchless shifting is significantly smoother at HIGH-->HIGH RPMs than at 3k. Shift it like you mean it and rev match. hell, I likely get lower MPGs because of my style of blipping the throttle during all downshifts. But IDC!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
due to shifting issues( not the normal pita first from neutral, but pretty much from 3-2-1) i took the shift lever cover off nothing is bent, even had issues turning the shifter by hand(bout 50cent piece size with spindles on it) im going to take the tank and top of trans off, is there anything i should be looking for?

I can tell you if the shift lever adjustment has the lever too low, the lever will phsically hit another part and literally stop you from down shifting..

Make sure the lever itself is free to go the full distance both up and down without interference..

I'd also check under the shifter cover (upper left side that the shifter shaft comes out of the engine) and check the shifter shaft assembly/spring before I went any farther..

Last edited:

Hondo64d

Reaction score
Visit site

Ted,

My '07 FZ6 has just started doing the same thing you're describing within the last two days. I'm the only owner or rider and I've put just under 21k miles on my bike. I've always run Rotella or the synthetic version, changing every 3k miles. I don't know what the problem is either, but I am pretty sure it is not technique or the type of oil we're running.

John