Treatment of road rash.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Anyone got any good advice?

I didn't wreck the bike. I did, however, do something stupid with an angle grinder and took some meat off of my left hand.

I'd like to avoid scarring. Anyone got advice (other than Don't Do That, something I already figured out.)

Fred

4drfocus

Rurouni
Reaction score
Visit site
Go to the pharmacy dept. and get a tube of "scar creme", I'm not sure who makes it, I bought a tube of the generic (Target) brand when I was in high school,it works wonders, I bloodied myself up pretty good during high school ie; skateboards & bmx,but if you saw me today you would never have guessed.

GastonJ

The Winged One
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear about the mishap, and glad to hear you're ok. I'm no doctor, and I'd be first to go to one, but below is a link that you might find helpful.

Road rash - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There's a couple of links in there. Hope they help, but a hospital visit would be better,

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Its difficult to give advise with out seeing the wound. Please don't post a picture.
The first advise is. If your worried go and seek appropriate medical advice.
Secondly, wash the wound ideally with warm saline. Cover the wound with a non stick non lint sterile dressing. Redress after 48 hours. Once the wound is dry then you can either leave it exposed to the open air or if your working cover it up with a clean dry dressing.
Two schools of thought from where I work are:

1. apply a thin layer of Vaseline daily to avoid it itching and promote moist wound healing.
2. Apply a thin layer of Arnica cream on the wound. Lots of people swear by its healing and anti scare properties.

[edit] sorry forgot, some of the girls [hardcore A&E nurses] also swear by vitamin E cream.

The main thing is keeping it clean and dry for the first 48 - 72 hours. Your skin is the first line of defense to your immune system. Also check your tetanus status. Unfortunately any cut has the potential to scar, looking after it in the initial stages and then protecting it from UV rays for up to 6 months can greatly reduce this scaring.
Good luck.

Nelly

Last edited:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
like everyone else i would say to keep up with the moisturizer while healing, keep it clean and keep antiseptic on it as well (Neosporin or something) Also, Keira got some prenatal belly creme stuff that is supposed to minimize stretch marks and scars. might be worth a shot.

cashcrzzy

Meandering Member
Reaction score
www.fz6-forum.com
Fred I do that all the time removing gaskets , The skin will grow back with no scaring I just pat it with a paper towel and let it bleed it will stop sooner or later .Remember it is not a burn exactly the skin meat what ever you want to call it under the surface is still alive .
Greg A.

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
I knew this one guy, who crashed a Turbocharged Hayabusa while going down a straight while wheeling. He crashed. Rashed his arm (he wore only a sleeveless shirt) and looked like hell.

"When" he healed, he had this NASTY scar on his arm. He went to a TATOO expert and got a GIANT DRAGON to cover the whole thing. God. It was a mess.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ouch! When I raced bicycles and crashed I washed it out very well, scrub, scrub, scrub, with a nylon brush, used neosporin (sp), changed the bandage three times a day for about 10 days to two weeks. That said I still have very fine rocks tattooed in my back after almost 30 years!

But remember this Fred...chicks dig scars!

rent-a-reaper

captain caveman!
Reaction score
Visit site
when i wrecked my doc wrote me a perscription for selvadine creme, it worked great!! took the burn away and prevented the bandages from sticking :thumbup:

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Thanks for all the advice. I picked up a tube of triple antibiotic and I'll use it until the wound closes up. Then I'll start applying the scar treatment. The instructions on the scar treatment stuff say that you should use it after the wound has healed.

Oh, if anyone wants to see the picture, go here.
http://thingswhatimade.livejournal.com/18485.html#cutid1

Be warned, it makes me queasy when I look at it.

Last edited:

cashcrzzy

Meandering Member
Reaction score
www.fz6-forum.com
Fred don't you know with baby soft hands like that you need to wear gloves :spank::spank::spank:
Now I know why you are worrying about scars I think I have seen those hands in a commercial ;)
Greg A.

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Jay- Tshirt Inventor Guy.
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i always use electrical tape and a shop rag, seems to work great for me.

ugly%20face%201%20tile.jpg

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the advice. I picked up a tube of triple antibiotic and I'll use it until the wound closes up. Then I'll start applying the scar treatment. The instructions on the scar treatment stuff say that you should use it after the wound has healed.

Oh, if anyone wants to see the picture, go here.
The things what I made and how I made them. - Angle grinder accident.

Be warned, it makes me queasy when I look at it.
Personally I would be cautious using antibiotics with out clinical signs of infection.
Globally, over use of antibiotics has not helped us in maintaining our own immune systems. There is strong links with increased resistance to some strains of bacteria.

Nelly

Last edited:

CodeMonkey

Reaction score
Visit site
Back when I was young and naive (now I'm old and naive) I tried to follow a buddy on a sport bike with my enduro during our lunch hour. Tried to take a corner at the same speed he did and laid down my bike. Yeah, enduros can't corner like street bikes can as I found out. I had a nice sized road rash on my right arm from it, about 6 to 9 inches long.

When I returned to work I didn't find anything in the first aid kit except alcohol wipes. Thinking alcohol would kill the infection I opened one up and placed it on my arm. Don't try that. It hurt like mother freakin' bloody hell. After rolling around on the bathroom floor waiting for the pain from the alcohol to subside I tried to return to work. My supervisor sent me to my doctor to get treatment for my injuries and the doctor scrubbed out gravel that was buried in my arm.

The previous message was brought to you by Darwin Awards, where candidates attempt at removing themselves from the gene pool. :thumbup:

I'd suggest going to the doctor. You never know what kind of contaminants or foreign objects you introduced to your road rash.

luckyirishboy209

custom fz6 foot peg maker
Reaction score
Visit site
Pain killers and alcohol:rockon:

Peroxide clean any of the germs and leave it alone. i have done that 1000 times. love the scares its battle marks.:thumbup: