Trip to Europe

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Unlike the states, public transportation and the rail system is awesome in most countries. Also traveling into countries that are on the Euro currency system has made it so much easier, no need to convert and try to get rid of your cash everytime you enter and leave a country like the old days.

I agree with Kenny on this one, there is generally quite a reasonable public transport network in western europe, so depending on where you want to go this is not such a bad thing. In the cities like Paris it is generally easier not to have a car as parking can be very expensive, even in some of the hotels. In Germany several of the cities have low emission zones, which only allow access to certified low emmission cars. You should not forget that fuel prices are much higher over here than in the states.
When I moved to Germany in the armed forces (years ago now) I used the public transport system in Germany several times and found it very efficient :thumbup: Especially nowadays with good websites it's quite easy to plan your way around, here's the German rail website and here's some tips for Paris
I know you're not planning to visit the Netherlands but we have a complete planner for the public transport system or simply a train planner. (with both of these you can select English as language).

No disrespect meant but I will never forget my first time in the States and I found it unbelievable how bad public transport was, i soon learned that in the States you have to hire a car if you want to get anywhere.

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
All major airports will have a rail system into the city. The only thing I didn't like about the commuter rail was that if you had a lot of luggage, you had to load it onto and off the train, and you might not be able to store it close by where you sit. I was there for over 2 months, so needless to say, I had a lot.

But most are relatively clean and very nice. I remembered staying in Rotterdam and a small group of us wanted to go into Amsterdam for a night out. We took the 45 minute rail ride down and said to ourselves, man this is a really nice ride. When they came by to collect our tickets, we were sitting in the First Class Section. So we had to move.

After partying all night into the morning, we were so beat, we bought the First Class ticket back to Rotterdam.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
All major airports will have a rail system into the city. The only thing I didn't like about the commuter rail was that if you had a lot of luggage, you had to load it onto and off the train, and you might not be able to store it close by where you sit. I was there for over 2 months, so needless to say, I had a lot.

But most are relatively clean and very nice. I remembered staying in Rotterdam and a small group of us wanted to go into Amsterdam for a night out. We took the 45 minute rail ride down and said to ourselves, man this is a really nice ride. When they came by to collect our tickets, we were sitting in the First Class Section. So we had to move.

After partying all night into the morning, we were so beat, we bought the First Class ticket back to Rotterdam.

Kenny I used to use the night train to Amsterdam when I lived in Leiden, it runs all through the night :thumbup: unfortunately the last train on the weekend from Amsterdam to Alkmaar (where I now live) is about 1 in the morning :(.