Trip to Europe

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am going to see Europe, i will be landing in Paris France and traveling to Germany through Luxembourg Then down to Lugano and back to Paris 7 days think i have enough time.

Never been to any of these places, would love to know what not to miss and any other great information.

Trying to be as methodical as possible pre-travel so i can make the full route.

:rockon:

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...Ixow4ILBA&oq=Luxe&mra=dme&mrsp=7&sz=8&t=m&z=6

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm jealous! Was hoping to do the same thing this year but no time for it.. just gonna do Russia again for 10 days.

Beerdrinker

2^57885161-1
Reaction score
Visit site
Are you bringing your bike?
If you pass by Lisbon, Portugal, we may arrange some time and show you the town!

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I guess you'll be looking for a route like this one.

Are you going on a bike, are you planning to stop and visit places or just ride nice roads with beautiful scenary?

nivag

Reaction score
Visit site
Lake Lugano is beautiful. Went there ages ago. There is a glacier visit you can do not far from there which was cool... Pun intended :D

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not doing the bike tour I wish I was, I am taking a car and my mother for a trip/ vacation been a hectic last 10 years for the parents who are split so I decided to take a vacation with one ;) a little interest on the bull crap I put my mom through as a punk teen.

The route posted was the plan but i can alter stuff as I'm still in the planing phase I wanted to go see the big stuff as i have never been to Europe

JTL

Reaction score
Visit site
One tip on your route northeast from Luxemburg: I would suggest you follow the road that goes along the Mosel river (road number 53, changes to number 49 along the way). It is just beautiful! This means something like from Trier to Koblenz. The Mosel valley is quite famous for its white wines, they are sold on people's basements and so on along the route. Trier itself is quite a historical landmark, it is the oldest city in Germany (founded in or before 16 B.C. according to Wikipedia).

Last edited:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
One tip on your route northeast from Luxemburg: I would suggest you follow the road that goes along the Mosel river (road number 53, changes to number 49 along the way). It is just beautiful! This means something like from Trier to Koblenz. The Mosel valley is quite famous for its white wines, they are sold on people's basements and so on along the route. Trier itself is quite a historical landmark, it is the oldest city in Germany (founded in or before 16 B.C. according to Wikipedia).

I love the Mosel as well, here's a thread from Andre when he went with the bike. Here's a few pics when I went with Andre.

How will you be travelling by car (don't forget you're travelling through several countries) or public transport, as this makes a big difference in where you can get to easily.

Good luck with the planning :thumbup:

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I love the Mosel as well, here's a thread from Andre when he went with the bike. Here's a few pics when I went with Andre.

How will you be travelling by car (don't forget you're travelling through several countries) or public transport, as this makes a big difference in where you can get to easily.

Good luck with the planning :thumbup:

getting a rental car as i dont think i would be able to do as many things with out my own transpiration

Nürburgring is a must for me now thank you so much haha

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
Going to Germany? You HAVE TO stop there. I did it back in 2007. We rip some lap around the track in the rental car. Just like a video game but for real. You come up to the gate, slide your card and the gate open... Welcome to no man land!!!

As far as I remember there's 2 rules.

1- stay on the RH side of the track... there's ALWAYS someone faster than you that WILL pass.

2- The last straightaway there's a speed limit before pulling out.

Back then it was $60.00 for 4 laps. Plenty enough to wear the hell out of you. 13 miles track. You will be lucky to get under 12 minutes a lap.

JTL

Reaction score
Visit site
Nürburgring is quite close to Luxemburg, so if you follow the Mosel valley it isn't far away north from there. Unfortunately most rental car companies don't allow driving there, some people have gotten permanent bans from these companies by doing that (they might have GPS trackers in the cars). Anyway the track is quite much the ultimate driving/riding experience. 2 yrs ago it was 26€ per lap. If not able to drive there, sometimes there is a Ringtaxi service available, in the past it has been BMW M5 and laps in the 9min range have been quite usual with it if I remember correctly.

Last edited:

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
From Lugano to Paris the best route is thru the Furkur Pass and the Susten (spelling) pass. Some great Swiss mountain roads. If you have time stop in Griendwald Switzerland as it is beautiful. On the mountain passses even a Ford C-Max diesel can be fun, the fun happens slower though. Treat the throttle like an on-off switch. Watch out for speed cameras, many more in Italy than there used to be.

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
From Lugano to Paris the best route is thru the Furkur Pass and the Susten (spelling) pass. Some great Swiss mountain roads. If you have time stop in Griendwald Switzerland as it is beautiful. On the mountain passses even a Ford C-Max diesel can be fun, the fun happens slower though. Treat the throttle like an on-off switch. Watch out for speed cameras, many more in Italy than there used to be.

Ah Italy... Going back again this year in May to drive the support car in the Mille Miglia. The car (56 Ferrari TDF) is ready to go, one last road test and check everything out... shipping within the next 2-3 weeks!

nivag

Reaction score
Visit site
The scenery looks amazing, although trying to watch the video was a bit rough.
Can I ask where that camera was mounted? Seems to be on the front wheel.

It was in between the headlights, first time I'd used a gopro. It was picking up vibration/interfearance :(
Had it on my helmet at the start but it didn't give a sense of speed or movement as it was too high and my head counterbalanced the lean on the corners.

Might try a chest mount next time.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Unlike the states, public transportation and the rail system is awesome in most countries. Also traveling into countries that are on the Euro currency system has made it so much easier, no need to convert and try to get rid of your cash everytime you enter and leave a country like the old days.

Your best exchange rate will be using plastic. But it's always good to have cash. Most majar cities, you will find english speaking folks, so don't worry too much about the language barrier unless you go into some small europeon towns.

Not sure how many days you will be there, but getting laundry done can be difficult in certain countries.