Votes: 73 58.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Guys,
As most of you know, I wrecked back in September leaving myself with a serious shoulder injury and a totaled bike. This Spring, my shoulder should be healed enough to start riding again. This begs the question of whether to get another FZ6 or to use this as an opportunity to move onto something else. I had my FZ for a little over 2 years and ~15k miles before the wreck. I am considering a Triumph Street Triple as the replacement, but would also considering getting another FZ6. What would you do?
Thanks,
Rob

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I would do what you should do ....make my own mind up.

They are both good bikes buy as they say "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

I would not choose a bike because you told me to.

Steve

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't think you'll really get an unbiased opinion on a FZ6 forum.

Personally I don't really like the naked look and I like the FZ6 fairing, but if I was to buy a naked I would choose the Triumph. They are both good bikes with plenty of power.
As Steve says you should go with your own convictions.

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
After two years on almost any bike, I would consider something else just for the sake of trying something else. If you are OK with riding a naked bike with no wind protection than I would go with the street triple. It is probably the best in its class. Also, by the poll I take it you like its looks. Lastly, one benefit of Triumphs in the US is that you could probably get a test ride.

Numpty

Reaction score
Visit site
Hard one that Rob, I too like the Street Triple but have not ridden one YET so I cant vote.

Go get yourself a test ride and see what you think and let us know your thoughts. :thumbup:

Cheers
Gaz

creekbed

Reaction score
Visit site
Triumphs are great bikes, but I found the service on them to very expensive, check out what the cost of a valve adjustment is and that mat help make a decision.:thumbup::thumbup:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
There was a big middle weight Naked comparo in the Australian Motorcycle News Yearbook, and the FZ6, and Speed Triple came out even stevens in the rating's....both left all the rest...SV650, CB600F, Aprilia Shiver 750, Ducati Monster 696, and Kawasaki z750 in the shadows!

Personally, if i were to buy tomorrow i would go for the upspec version of the Triumph Speed Triple.....adjustable suspenders, etc....

I think that would sway me.

:thumbup:

BranNwebster

The UNO Master
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
To answer the question "what would you do?"

I wouldn't limit myself to just two bikes. And if I was looking to stay below 700cc and also with the standard sport bike I would consider this.
092220081813345027.jpg

But if I was going more sporty I would get the YZF-R6

Now I wouldn't limit myself to a 600ish bike. At this time if I were to buy a new bike it would be a Bandit 1250 or an FZ1.

Philippe

Reaction score
Visit site
Well if you like the looks of the Triumph , I would go for the Englishman !!
And especially the WHITE version.
It has a LOT more class than a FZ6. But you should do a test ride first of course.
Also : why limit yourself to 2 choices ? Look around what you can find also... e.g. a handy Aprilia Mana (V2 automatic !!).:thumbup:

mastakilla

Reaction score
Visit site
After two years on almost any bike, I would consider something else just for the sake of trying something else. If you are OK with riding a naked bike with no wind protection than I would go with the street triple. It is probably the best in its class.

I agree. The Triumph looks killer. But I'm not sure I'll ever buy a naked bike myself though...

FooFazer

Reaction score
Visit site
Ive owned 2 Triumphs, a Trident 900 and a Trophy 1200. I thought both were decent bikes until I tried the FZ6. The first thing I would say is look into the cost of ownership first, as has been mentioned here in other posts the Triumph is an expensive bike to service compared to most Japanese bikes. When I was looking to get back into biking last September I tried a secondhand Speed Triple 955i against a secondhand FZ6. The salesman made a point of making me listen to the 2 bikes at idle and then revving and ignoring the fact that one is a triple and the other is a four the mechanical noise the Triumph made against the FZ6 was like comparing a tractor to a turbine, the Yam being so quiet.
Triumphs plating was always superior to Japanese bikes but when looking at secondhand Speed Triples recently I was surprised at how much corrosion they seemed to show, no worse that anything else but no better either.
The torque and howl of a triple going full on is infectious but an FZ6 with 2Bros sounds awesome too.
The Choice is yours Grasshopper only you can decide.
FooFazer (showing his age, anyone else remember David Carradine in Kung Fu)?

kellybt1052

Reaction score
Visit site
Im with wolf on this one, the STriple R with the Ohlins is getting rave reviews. Depends on the type of riding you like to do and the $$$$ available. For me I would go with the Triumph but if only for the upgraded suspension plus it fits me ergo wise (as does the FZ6) and riding style wise. BTW, I LOVE my FZ6 i would just prefer to not have to Mod it to get the better suspension. good luck either way....your gettin a new bike!!!!

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I voted for the FZ6, but only because I like the fairing.

The Street Triple is AWESOME! If I wanted a naked bike, or Triumph put that engine in a 'Tiger Cub' (half fairing), I'd get one for sure.

Chris

GO!!!!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
If i was getting a naked bike I would get the Triumph over the FZ6, but I would also look into some of the Ducatis. However if I was considering a new bike I would probably get an ss bike if I could afford the insurance. I would look into the 848, R1 (R6 if I was shorter..), GSX-R etc. Just my opinion:)

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow... tough call! I had the same decision to make last year when I got my 2008 FZ6. I researched both the Street Triple, and FZ6 and decided the FZ6 was a better purchase for my budget.

The Street Triple is a very nice bike, but the added cost to purchase, maintain and insure made the FZ6 much more attractive. At some point, I would still like to have a Triumph.

Wildcard

Reaction score
Visit site
I love the Triumph's looks and that triple engine makes a freaking sexy sound. (My brother has a Daytona 675 with Two Bros and MAN!!! that thing sounds orgasmic).

Also if I had an FZ for 2 years, I'd want to try something else.

blchandl2

Reaction score
Visit site
It is ultimately your money and your choice. If you are mechanically inclined at all, I am impressed with how easy Triumphs are to service. I have a Tiger 1050 and just performed the valve check myself. Service at the delaer is expensive, I admit. Routine service is easy enough for me to do myself.

For me I have the Tiger and the FZ. They are completely different bikes which is why I like the combo. I have never ridden the Street Triple, I do not like nekked bikes. I too, am waiting for the mystical "Tiger Cub".

The triple engine is addictive.

This is the fun part, shopping for a new ride. Enjoy it, and get something you will enjoy.

tom5796

Fizshizzle
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As a Daytona owner, if I didn't have the FZ then hands down, no question, with absolute certainty I would go with the Street Triple R (upspec).

I've even started to think about bringing my FZ back to stock and trading it in for one. Blasphemy!