Triumph vs Yamaha

Triumph Street Triple vs Yamaha FZ6

• Replace with new FZ6

Votes: 51 41.1%
  • Get new Triumph Street Triple

Votes: 73 58.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
At the risk of both of us being "sent to Coventry" :D, get the Triumph.
Change is as good as a rest, they say....and it will answer the question that would go unanswered if you bought another FZ6.

I love triumphs, don't get me wrong. But I've had many issues with them. Crappy dealers, shotty parts and very expensive. When they run right, they are amazing, but for the amount of time they do run excellent, you better have a spare bike.

As a Daytona owner, if I didn't have the FZ then hands down, no question, with absolute certainty I would go with the Street Triple R (upspec).

I've even started to think about bringing my FZ back to stock and trading it in for one. Blasphemy!

Don't feel bad Tom I too have been tempted!I love my bike but I have had a FZ6 since 04.

To answer the question \"what would you do?\"

I wouldn't limit myself to just two bikes. And if I was looking to stay below 700cc and also with the standard sport bike I would consider this.
092220081813345027.jpg

But if I was going more sporty I would get the YZF-R6

Now I wouldn't limit myself to a 600ish bike. At this time if I were to buy a new bike it would be a Bandit 1250 or an FZ1.

This one is kind of cool looking too, don't know anything about it though. I'm trying to stick with the middle weight street bikes, mostly naked in look. Not looking for anything full-faired.

I didnt vote because I have never ridden a Triumph. We all know how great of a bike the FZ is. On the other side I usually only hear good things about the Thiumphs. I say see if you can get a test ride on one and see what you think of it.

In the end you are the one who has to ride it so get what tickles your fancy ;)

Thanks for the replies guys. I know I am getting a rather biased survey out of all of you since we all have/had FZ6's. Don't get me wrong, I loved and still love in memory my FZ6. It was a great bike to me and was a joy to ride and work on for 2 years.

Someone asked before... I am very mechanically inclined if I have a manual in front of me. I also can do basic fabrication, as done to make the R6 projector retrofit with HID conversions that I recently sold to Lazamus. I do all of my own maintenance, so long as it can be done with basic hand-tools.

I have looked into several other bikes, but really love the looks and mechanics of the Triumph. I also really loved the FZ6, which is what made me buy it two years ago. I guess you guys are right though, have to test-ride the Triumph to see if it "fits".:thumbup:

One thing to definitely check into is the dealers around you. Triumph usually have really good dealers and horrible ones. Very few in between. And for the money, go for the street triple R. It's highly worth the extra's. And is gorgeous... saw one today with the arrow cans on it.

A difficult question to answer without knowing what you look for in a bike! But let me try anyway:
The two are like apple and orange. FZ6 is more versatile, could be used for sport touring or for a quick day-ride on curvies. speed tripple is for performance and would not be too comfortable for a long touring trip. For quality and craftmanship, speed-tripple. Yamaha looks cheapy specially the fairing. For service: labor is about the same, materials triumph is more expensive. For bragging right: speed-tripple.
Finally, buying a motorcycle is like buying shoes and each person has one that fits them the best. You need to find one that fit you best by test-riding for a few hours, not just around the block. Nothing is more aggravating than riding a bike that does not fit you in any category such as ergonomics, performance, ridability etc.

Why not the FZ1? its pretty close to the same set up as the 6,BUT THE DIFFERENCE IN POWER IS RETARTED!!! I rode one a couple of months ago and i wanted to spit on my bike afterwards.I got over it ,and i love my fz6.(Beleive this!) my next bike purchase will be the Fz1! Just thought ide throw that out there for you.:rockon:

Why not the FZ1? its pretty close to the same set up as the 6,BUT THE DIFFERENCE IN POWER IS RETARTED!!! I rode one a couple of months ago and i wanted to spit on my bike afterwards.I got over it ,and i love my fz6.(Beleive this!) my next bike purchase will be the Fz1! Just thought ide throw that out there for you.:rockon:

+ 1 on that! Completely forgot about it, but I also like that bike very much:thumbup:

I love the FZ, but if I had money I'd own a ton of motorcycles. Heck today I would have bought the orange R6 sitting in the showroom of a local shop. :D If you can ride a few other bikes and see what fits you. I know the BMW and Triumph dealership in town have ride days and sometimes let you take used bikes out for a test ride. Personally I have an unhealthy obsession with the Daytona 675's. I will own an English blonde.....motorcycle. :drool:
day675.jpg

:uk::sinister:

So that said, go with what you like! If the FZer still fits the bill after sitting on everything in every showroom and some test rides then get it. If the Triple hits the right spot then get it, or get one of each. :D

I chose not to vote on this poll. I've never ridden a Triumph, and wouldn't have a clue whether or not it would be better than the FZ6. When it comes down to it, the choice is completely up to you. If you haven't done so already, take a ride on the Triumph. If you prefer it over the FZ6, then go for it. This is pretty much what I did when I switched to the Buell.

I think a triple is a good compromise between a twin and a inline 4. I don't like any of the twins that I can afford so triple is the way to go. You will good midrange and top whack. FZ6 doesn't have much midrange anyway. Plus I will never buy the same bike again. No bike is perfect and plus I love change.

The Daytona 675 looks like a Swan, the Street Triple 675 looks like an ugly duckling. (The king [queen] has no clothes on :rolleyes:)

The FZ1 is another ball game, very aggressive, very fun. The naked one looks fast in the show room. ;)

I love triumphs, don't get me wrong. But I've had many issues with them. Crappy dealers, shotty parts and very expensive. When they run right, they are amazing, but for the amount of time they do run excellent, you better have a spare bike.

+1000
I had a Daytona T595 that, when working, it was the best bike ever. But there were days when I'd walk out and hit the starter and nothing would happen. So I'd take the cage then when I came home to troubleshoot it'd start right up. Most aggravating bike ever. They are also ridiculously expensive for parts. I once had to pay $70 for fork seals. Even random bolts that would vibrate out were $12. Oh yeah and I had to wait over a week to get those parts from Britain.

My first motor popped at 15k miles (out of warranty) so I replaced it with a 955 Speed Triple motor which worked perfectly until the ECU decided to bite the dust. Which in turn led me to parting it out and buying an FZ. Although I miss the torque I will never buy another Triumph. Maybe the quality has improved over the years but they've got a lot of work to sway me away from the Japanese manufactures.

Last edited:
Back