Trying to get my lights to work

Carruthers

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone
I own a fast (old), but brilliant blue Fazer FZS600-2002.

The very first time, just the other day, it broke down and refused to start. No big deal since that was the first in ten years so it was kind of understandable. After a few hours of research it was determined to be the alarm. (Meta 357T). I have just removed the problem alarm by pinning out the immobiliser and ignition circuits. The alarm's wiring loom is still attached to the bikes circuit?

Battery ok . Fuses ok. side lights work when parking switch is on. The bike starts now as always. the turn signals work and hazard lights work, Question is what is causing the next problem? the headlights, sidelights, tail light, front and back brake lights are all out and there is no horn.

I so want to fix this so if anyone can help that would be great.

I have a feeling it is an earth circuit, or a relay? but where do i start.

Thanks for any suggestions.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
By jumping out the ignition immoblizer the ecu is probably confused if the bike is running and not giving the relay power to turn the lights on, I bet if you were to replace the alarm they would work fine...

Just a guess

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't have a schematic of your bike but I believe most immobilizers eventually stop signal to the fuel pump.

Next the later FZ6 manages more starting current by using a relay that keeps the headlamps off until the engine is running. This relay is controlled by the ECU.
Your bike being older may not incorporate this type circuit or may use a different type relay that disconnects the headlamps only while in the crank cycle. This allows more power for starter cranking and once the starter circuit is disengaged the headlamp circuit is re engaged by the relay.

I'm wondering if you remember how your headlamp operated during start up. Did you turn the key on and they remained off until the engine was running or did the go on with the key on and then off during the crank cycle?

Try the simplest checks first. Check all your fuses and wiring in the area you were working in. If all the lights are gone you may have lifted a ground wire somewhere and it needs to be reattached.

Carruthers

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks to both of you. A new alarm is over £300 and not really what i was looking to spend just now. The lights came on through the ignition switch, so your suggestion to check the continuity/ground issue is probably right for first work. In the meantime the days are getting longer and in another couple of weeks I will be able to ride without them.!!! kidding.

In any case thanks again.