Turn Signal Help - LED's or Bulb?

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all,

Searched a bit but the information is scattered and scant. I thought that maybe it was time to start a thread specifically about turn signals.

I'm looking to replace my turn signals. Those of you who have, what did you use and are you happy with them?

My goals:

Cleaner look.
Better visibility.

My concern is that the only LED style lights I've seen in person were less than good durring day light hours. I blame a lot of this on the use of a clear lens on the ones I've noticed. The LED's look weak in daylight.

I like the Rizoma signals but they are $36 to $45 each corner. I've found a few 'ebay' signals in the $20 a pair range w/ amber or smoke lenses that might work. But I'm leery of these as I've never seen them in daylight.

Opinions and Ideas?

DMorck

Reaction score
Visit site
I have Watsens in the front and Rizomas in the back. Not cheap but worth it. Great build quality and very noticable. I have had some of the cheaper LEDs on past bikes and these are a lot better. However, there have probably been some improvements in all lights so take that with a grain of salt.

I really like Watsens in the front but you will be surprised how small they are. The light they put out is quite impressive.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I can't speak to use of LEDs, myself.... I haven't seen any that I thought did the job they need to.

LEDs are extremely efficient, and produce a single color of light, darn near like a laser. The directions that the light exits the fixture from is typically extremely limited..... very narrow beams. If you happen to be right on the line that they are pointed at, many of the LEDs can be painfully bright; but that 'window' is typically very narrow, similar to what you'd see through a telescopic sight. The number of degrees off axis is what you want to know, and anything less than around 40° is going to be nearly useless for viewing from the sides. (scopes usually have less than 10° field of view)

Looking at automotive applications directly from Honda, Toyota, and GM, it seems the best way to 'spread' the beam, is to aim it at a reflector, and then let the reflector 'scatter' the beam.

I haven't seen any turn signal designs that apply that sort of model. They'd end up costing more than the filament designs do now, I think.

For me, I want to ensure I am not going backwards in visibility more than I care about how 'cool' it looks. If I can get both, without huge expense...... then I'd consider pulling the trigger.

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
I really like Watsens in the front but you will be surprised how small they are. The light they put out is quite impressive.

I've seen daytime pics of the Watsens and it looks like you wouldn't be able to see them during the day. Very tiny light source that would be easy to miss. I like the frosted look of the Rizomas as that would pick up the light and diffuse it a bit to make it more visible. Signals don't need to (and shouldn't to be honest) project a beam, they need to illuminate themselves.

I haven't seen any turn signal designs that apply that sort of model. They'd end up costing more than the filament designs do now, I think.

For me, I want to ensure I am not going backwards in visibility more than I care about how 'cool' it looks. If I can get both, without huge expense...... then I'd consider pulling the trigger.
This is exactly why I don't like clear lens type signals.

To be 100% honest, I dislike a lot of the LED tail lights that come stock on some cars and trucks. At night, in stop and go traffic, they are too bright and tend to light up the inside of my truck/car if I'm behind someone with them. But on a bike they would be lower and less annoying.

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
As a bump and example of the signals I'm looking at..

Ebay Candidate: Total Cost @$40 for 4
attachment.php

Risoma Candidate: Total cost @ $150 to $200

attachment.php

attachment.php