Urgent Help

ptastuart

Reaction score
Visit site
I guys

The mechanic that services my bike over filled the oil so a friend of mine said to use a needle and injection to suck up some oil from the dipstick hole.

All went well until the 3rd time when I pulled it out and the needle fell into the sump.

I have tried using a magnet. I have also drained the oil. I have taken off the side clutch cover and still could not find it.

My last resort is to take off the sump. I have managed to get all the screws off but the sump still does not come off. It only twists slighty.

Please I need to get this needle out and soon.

Any advice or tips will be appreciated!

Section 5-55 of the service manual should help you out. (I only have the manual for the 04-06 models though.. may be different to the 08).

Should be 12 bolts and 2 dowels that hold it on, so it may be a bit stuck on the dowels.

:)

Dang that sucks.. next time just pull the drain plug a few seconds and replug it :thumbup:

You may need to replace a gasket if you take the sump cover off.. just keep that in mind.

Last edited:
How much extra oil did the wally put in??

The chances of this happening to anyone else is very slim but if it does either drain the oil out, it takes 2 minutes or get a piece of tube to get it out.

Its a PITA when a 2 minute job takes 3 days.

Stop kicking yourself now.

Steve

You can always pull the filter off and only a bit of oil will come out. It will not drain through the filter unless the motor is running. Dump the oil out of the filter, replace the filter, start the bike to fill the filter, check oil level and repeat if necessary.

Did you get the needle out yet?

Yes, next time drain all the oil into a clean pan, then put beck the 2.96 qts and save the rest.

FWIW? I put 4 qts in once and ran it like that. I had no ill effects from doing this for the short run. Discovered the problem when I got back and checked for leaks then checked the oil level. Much to my surprise, when I removed the dipstick, oil came gushing out! It was then I realized I had put four and not three qts in. So, I put a pan under it, removed the dipstick then leaned the bike over the pan to pour out the excess, then kept checking and leaning until I hit the full mark.

Then the cleanup began...... ugh! This shows why you do NOT bring Mr. Samuel Adams into the shop until AFTER the job is successful! :D

Thus tonight, I curl my third 12 oz weight in less than 1 hour, in honor of learning a most valuable lesson. :thumbup:

Hi Guys

Thanks for all the replys.

yesterday was a pubic holiday so I took off the exhaust and took the oil sump off. It was a messy job and very stressful. It took me about 3 hours.

The needle is out and everything back to normal.

I am however concerned the the sump bolts seem to loosen slightly. Do I need Lock tight or something like that to keep them from doing this?

Back