Using EZ Pass

MyFirstBike

Reaction score
Visit site
Twisted Throttle has an ez pass mount that fits on your handlebar. I have mine mounted right in the center. You could also mount it to the back of your windshield with the mounting velcro they supply. I swap mine between my car and bike so I wanted something easier.

Like this!

Quanto dinero?

how much $?

makanouchi

Reaction score
Visit site
Painted mine black and used double sided tape. You can't see it from the front of the bike.

IMG_10251024x768.jpg

IMG_10271024x768.jpg

interactive3

FZ6 Rider
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I made a bracket that held the EZ Pass but it partially blocked the ignition so I trashed it and created this temporary setup. It's a standard car holder with zip ties. It's been on my bike too long now. I'll post an update when I get a new bracket made.

I found the 2006 fairing and windshield were too curved to mount the transponder reliably.

S.D.Willie

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
Painted mine black and used double sided tape. You can't see it from the front of the bike.

IMG_10251024x768.jpg

IMG_10271024x768.jpg

You painted it black. Now thats awesome. I mean, i wont be returning it as far as i know unless it breaks so why not? Did you use spray paint? I guess i would be worried the paint would screw it up but i guess not huh??

interactive3

FZ6 Rider
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I painted a previous one black. It ran out of battery power/stopped working sooner than I expected. I was wondering if the increased heat absortion from the sun reduced the battery life. I think it was just conincidence.

S.D.Willie

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
I painted a previous one black. It ran out of battery power/stopped working sooner than I expected. I was wondering if the increased heat absortion from the sun reduced the battery life. I think it was just conincidence.

Guess ill find out. Didnt have matte but had a can of gloss black laying around which was good enough for me. Time to stick it on like a deodorizer now.

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site
As an electrical engineer I have to wonder why it wouldn't work in a jacket pocket, but would on a car windscreen.

It is just going to be some kind of transponder, so the only thing I can think is the antenna is aligned for when the device is in a car window, and the master is in the gantry above or the roof of the booth. Therefore when mounting on the bike it needs to be angled and positioned as if in a car windscreen.

Leather, plastic etc really shouldn't attenuate the signal any more than glass would.

rabernar

rabernar
Reaction score
Visit site
Using EZ Pass: Houston Texas Style

I keep my toll tag in my map pocket on my Tourmaster Mini tank bag.

Yesterday, I had to pick up my new plates (temp dealer tags expired) and decided to use the tollway system here in Houston - less crowded and crazy. The toll authority issues m/c's the typical plastic box, but autos get a credit card sized paper sticker to afix to their windshield center at top.

Anyway, my Toll Tag was inside my tank bag map pocket and worked (haven't been sent a fine) well for 3 toll stations but failed on the 4th. I simply backed up, honked for the attendant and yelled that "it was in my bag" and pointed. He nodded and lifted the gate for me.

I'll let you know if the other 3 stations did not work as our system allows full-bore speed past the sensors. They mail your perpetrator photo to you with your fine. :spank:

mcteague

Reaction score
Visit site
As an electrical engineer I have to wonder why it wouldn't work in a jacket pocket, but would on a car windscreen.

It is just going to be some kind of transponder, so the only thing I can think is the antenna is aligned for when the device is in a car window, and the master is in the gantry above or the roof of the booth. Therefore when mounting on the bike it needs to be angled and positioned as if in a car windscreen.

Leather, plastic etc really shouldn't attenuate the signal any more than glass would.

I agree. However, it works jammed behind my windscreen but not in my pants pocket. My riding pants have a pocket that put the transponder pointing more towards the sky. Behind the windscreen of my bike, and windshield of my car. the devise is more angled. I wonder if they are just have a very narrow angle of acceptance.

Tim

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
I swap one of my three tags in between the Trans-Am and the motorcycle, so I don't want it mounted on the bike. I usually just put the EZ-Pass transponder (it's an Active RFID device) in the outside pocket of my codura jacket. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. :(

The last time I used it, I got a violation that somehow did not get resolved by my license plate. I tried to get it removed via the NJ authority that I got my tags from (before PA offered them) but it never was removed, so I ended up paying like $6 for a $.90 toll on the NorthEast Extension. Grrrr...

Now, I just avoid riding on toll roads. :)

S.D.Willie

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
Not wanting to spend 40 bucks on something i wont even know works and breaking my car suction cup one trying to attach it i bought a newer transponder holder was was CAREFUL with the zip ties. I sprayed the ezpass black as well like others. It seems secure and is facing the correct way. I can also pop it out and put it in my jacket when i leave which is key. Will it work? Ill find out tomorrow since im going on a trip.

IMG_2903.jpg

IMG_2904.jpg

IMG_2906.jpg

S.D.Willie

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
well so much for my attempt. It didnt work on all 3 tolls i hit today. For the hell of it i even jammed the damn ezpass just behind the windshield and that STILL didnt work. Frickin boners

DaveOTZ

Reaction score
Visit site
So here are a couple a pics of where I have mine mounted... Back and forth through Jersey without incident...

I would mount it lower, but the guy before me painted the bottom of the windshield

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been putting mine in my tank bag (showing in the clear plastic) and that's worked pretty well. However, it stopped working a few weeks ago. I called and they said my account is still in good standing. So, I'm not so worried about it anymore and may just put it in my pocket.

I have a feeling it got moisture in it and stopped working (given all the NE rain we've had recently) and the fact that my tank bag isn't quite waterproof). I hope to get it replaced sometime.

Dennis

S.D.Willie

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
So here are a couple a pics of where I have mine mounted... Back and forth through Jersey without incident...

I would mount it lower, but the guy before me painted the bottom of the windshield

Yeah well get this. I called the EZ pass number and the woman actually said on the phone to "hold it up" while you ride through. I almost spit my drink out when she said that. I understand alot of guys do that, but wouldnt they want to DISSUADE commuters from doing that since it could be dangerous with one hand on a bikes bars? duh. She then said just to leave it in my pocket.

Well i dont trust it would work in that way. Ok, riddle me this. If it can read in a glove box of a friggin car why cant it register sticking behind a piece of painted plexi? I say that because i painted both sides of my shield and im going to mount it in the same spot you have it, that was my point of painting it. Well, one reason. Will it work? Who knows? ill know next time i head out there.

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah well get this. I called the EZ pass number and the woman actually said on the phone to "hold it up" while you ride through. I almost spit my drink out when she said that. I understand alot of guys do that, but wouldnt they want to DISSUADE commuters from doing that since it could be dangerous with one hand on a bikes bars? duh. She then said just to leave it in my pocket.
That would be funny if it weren't so dang sad. Suggesting that riders take their hands off of the bars. Um yeah.

Well i dont trust it would work in that way. Ok, riddle me this. If it can read in a glove box of a friggin car why cant it register sticking behind a piece of painted plexi? I say that because i painted both sides of my shield and im going to mount it in the same spot you have it, that was my point of painting it. Well, one reason. Will it work? Who knows? ill know next time i head out there.

I hear you. I've posted elsewhere in this thread about my experience with the FasTrak folks here in CA. I think it's kinda odd that if you keep the thing in an anti-static bag that it won't transmit.

I have my pass mounted inside the left side of my fairing. It reads every time as far as I know. What's kinda weird, though, is that the feedback screen -- the one that tells you that the device was read and you've been charged (that's how our system works) -- doesn't light up.

But I haven't gotten any letters from the system stating that I owe for unpaid toll and I always check my monthly statement, too. So it must be working. They don't f around if you don't pay the toll. They send a letter with a photo of your vehicle going through the toll gate and a hefty fine, too.