Using US ECU on European bike

KimLondon

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

just wondered if anyone knew what would happen if I installed a US ECU box in my UK/European 2004 FZ6 Fazer? Here in the UK the bikes have an ignition immoibliser that has a mated key-to-ECU system. I only have one key (oh dear) and can't make copies (very oh dear) so if I lose my key I have to replace the ECU, tank lock, ignition lock and under-seat lock. Cost from dealer upwards of $1,800.

So... I'm wondering what would happen if I fitted a US ECU unit that has no immobiliser fitted. Would it bypass the immobilier and run without it, or would the bike just not run at all?

Answers gratefully received.

e-bay set of key and ECU and locks

Hi,

thanks for that. Yup, have seen those going for sale on e-bay, but I'd still be left with one key and if that got lost, having to strip the bike down and shell out £300. Again.

If I knew that the US version would work on my bike I'd buy one and keep it in case I lost my current functioning key. Then I could just use a copy made by a locksmith.

Make sense?

Cheers,

Kim

Re: e-bay set of key and ECU and locks

You should be able to get your local yamaha dealership to make a key. If it has an immobilizer within the key, most shops have the ability to make a copy.

Also, if you are the original owner of the machine, and its still under warrenty, you can more than likely contact yamaha and they will make you a second key.

-bryan

It's the same deal with cars. But you'll have to shell out some money to the dealer, or find a locksmith with the right equipment to make copies.
Have you bothered contacting yamaha or a yamaha dealer? that'd be my first step.

You should be able to get your local yamaha dealership to make a key. If it has an immobilizer within the key, most shops have the ability to make a copy.

They can't if he doesn't have the red master key.

Also, if you are the original owner of the machine, and its still under warrenty, you can more than likely contact yamaha and they will make you a second key.
-bryan

I would put some effort into this, I know most car manufacturers do offer this service, so who knows??

I would put some effort into this, I know most car manufacturers do offer this service, so who knows??

+ 1 on that. If you have the red key the dealer can make you a copy but it costs a little.

+ 1 on that. If you have the red key the dealer can make you a copy but it costs a little.

It would be worth the cost and time for a key compared to replacing the switch and ECU. Not to metion the down time, mid-season, when you cant find your key. I need to get a copy of mine made....:rolleyes:

-bryan

Locksmith was made a working copy of my one black key. Key is WORKING!!! Immobilizer is working. What they do wrong?
For information:
There is equipment and if You have a working black key, they do the same with NO red code re-registering key. And now I have two working keys. Of cource it costs about 60 GBP, but it still is much more cheaper, then new kit with red key.
P.S. I own UK version of FZ6 S (2006).

Back