Valve (?) noise/Chicago Area

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey,

Anyone out there in the suburban area of Chi town?

I live in Darien and was looking to see if anyone wanted to meet up to let me listen to their Fz6.

Here's the deal: My 2009 fz6. Almost 5K on the odo. Since I can remember, I have had what is to me,a horrible rattling/whirring noise in all gears. While there all the time, it is most noticeable between 5K-7K. Had the dealer I bought it from look at it last week, service manager there says its probably valves. He's heard better, but usually worse. "Normal for the fz6, etc". Said to just let it go and ride.

The noise seems to be originating from the top of the engine, directly below the two fuel tank bolts. It is centered, not more noticeable on the right (so I think I can rule out cam chain) nor left. To me, if this was "normal", no one would want to ride their fz6. Things I have tried thus far:

-Chain tension and wheel alignment
-checked all bolts to torque settings
-Replace exhaust gaskets
-clutch lever for virbration
-tire pressure, etc
-Scorpion exhaust
-Ear plugs

The noise is still there, and I still focus on it to the point I no longer seem to enjoy the ride. The only other thing I can think of is the oil. I switched to synth around 1500miles, Rotella 5-40, and have tried using Amsoil 10-40 synthetic. Might try dumping in some Yamalube dino or semi-synth in a heavier weight to see if it quiets down.

But, I'd just like to hear another Fz6 or have someone who has some miles on theirs give mine a little test ride. Because, at this point, I may have to sell it. I know it seems a little rash, but its one of those things that once it irritates you, it consumes everything else.

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Scorpio

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Man! Don't sell it! Bet you it's valve train noise from the Cam Chain Tensioner (CCT)
Yamaha has been known to have failures on the R1. In Fact the CCT is located on the right side of your motor near the top. Here's a link from RonAyres.com
See #6 in the diagram: Ronayers.com Fiche Desktop Motorcycle Yamaha 2008 FZ6 CAMSHAFT CHAIN

I would suspect there may be a problem and it might be there was a recall because I heard of a recall on the 09 R1s but a lot of dealers were denying it a year ago but now I believe since so many people had the same CCT problem on the R1 and made their own noise about it, the factory may have put a note out on it. There is in fact a different part number for the replacement CCTs on R1s and it could very well use the same one. You will have to cross reference that to make sure though.
Go to the dealer and tell them you think it might be a failed cam tensioner.

Last edited:

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
Probably what Moto said but another, (dreaded), possibility is oil, (or the lack thereof). I always think of poor top end lubrication when I hear valves rattling. Good luck.

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm up around the Schaumburg area if you want to come up and I can check it out. I have an 07.

Let me know.
Appreciate the offer DarkHorse. If I can't find any closer, I'll PM you and see if something can't be set up.

As far as cct, I tried pinpointing it with the screwdriver method but harder if not impossible to hear without load on the engine and revving it in te garage is deafening. But it's not that loud ticking that I have heard on CCTs going bad, and definitely not more apparent on the right side. More like a whir. Tried getting an audio sample but you either get wind noise or the volume is too much for iPhone mic.

I'll try going to yamalube this weekend and see. Are the rumors that you can't go back to Dino oil after synth still true?
Thanks for the replies.

Scorp

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
next oil change, try a 20w30.. i used to use 20w40 religously untill someone a while ago recomended 20w30.. now thats all i use.. still can hear them a little, but not like when i had w40 in it.. good luck

vsar

Reaction score
Visit site
Scorpio,

I have a '05 and I'm in Countryside. If you want to set something up, I'm usually back home around 5:30P.

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Used the iPhone to take a voice memo of my bike during a second gear run at 6000 RPMS. This is basically the point where I hear the noise the most, but its all I hear now as I focus on it constantly while riding. The linked files are a short and long version , but just seeing if this is basically what everyone else hears.

I just don't remember ever hearing this whirring during the first 2 or 3K miles.

And as said before, It is entirely possible I am obsessing over nothing.

:)

Scorpio

(Will try to get links working)

Last edited:

paper

Multibike disorder..
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
REO,
Your links only take us to the sign-on page to Fileden so we can become a customer (and I don't want to)..

I went out and recorded my 2007 Fz6.. Here's the Youtube link to the recording. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgkT0j_zJL0]YouTube - Valve noise[/ame]
I had the camera in macro, so it's fuzzy since I wasn't close enough, but the sound is there for you to compare it..
The oil in the bike is 2350 miles old Rotella 15w-40 dino oil.

Here's another.. RMP is held at 5K.. There might be a light rattle from the washer behind my slider vibrating... Both were recorded at 720 and may take a bit of time to be available.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_FsIsYqVD4"]YouTube - Another Valve noise[/ame]

Last edited:

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
REO,
Your links only take us to the sign-on page to Fileden so we can become a customer (and I don't want to)..

I went out and recorded my 2007 Fz6.. Here's the Youtube link to the recording. YouTube - Valve noise
I had the camera in macro, so it's fuzzy since I wasn't close enough, but the sound is there for you to compare it..
The oil in the bike is 2350 miles old Rotella 15w-40 dino oil.

Here's another.. RMP is held at 5K.. There might be a light rattle from the washer behind my slider vibrating... Both were recorded at 720 and may take a bit of time to be available.

YouTube - Another Valve noise
Paper,

Thanks, man! I guess I would describe mine as similar to yours, though definitely a different pitch. Can you hear it while riding despite wind/exhaust?

I wish those links would actually work. Anyone know a way to post an audio file cheap and easy?

Thanks,

Scorpio

paper

Multibike disorder..
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Paper,

Thanks, man! I guess I would describe mine as similar to yours, though definitely a different pitch. Can you hear it while riding despite wind/exhaust?

Not really.. I hear the engine and valve train while riding, but I haven't heard anything that I'd consider out of the ordinary.. Unfortunately, I'm on the opposite side of Chicago from you, in Rockton (North of Rockford, South of Beloit, WI)

I'd meet up with you at some point in the future, if you'd like?
Tire kicking and comparing bikes is always fun. :thumbup:

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Anytime. Just let me know when and where. :)

In the meantime, I'll try to get this file uploaded to the forum somehow to see what everyone thinks.

(BTW, love the avatar, as everything is better with bacon)

Scorpio

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I see you mentioned this in the recent purchase thread. so I have to ask, has the bike made this sound since new? >>RP thread>> http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/36725-recent-purchase-thread-3.html#post393997

Did you ever find another FZ to compare too?

Mine makes about the same noise as the 2nd youtube post #11 at the 10second mark.

That is trying to silence out the mechanical noise and focus on the whir noise which is pretty audiable under load moving down the road.

You best bet for posting an audio file alone is to drop it on your service provider free space they gave you. comcrap.com gives me space for such things. . .
Or use some software and encode it over movie file and then you can drop it just about anywhere.

Anyway, mine makes about the same noise as the one up there.

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I see you mentioned this in the recent purchase thread. so I have to ask, has the bike made this sound since new? >>RP thread>> http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/36725-recent-purchase-thread-3.html#post393997

Did you ever find another FZ to compare too?

Mine makes about the same noise as the 2nd youtube post #11 at the 10second mark.

That is trying to silence out the mechanical noise and focus on the whir noise which is pretty audiable under load moving down the road.

You best bet for posting an audio file alone is to drop it on your service provider free space they gave you. comcrap.com gives me space for such things. . .
Or use some software and encode it over movie file and then you can drop it just about anywhere.

Anyway, mine makes about the same noise as the one up there.

Think it's done it since new, but can't be sure. I distinctly remember it before putting on the scorpions an changing to Rotella at 1500.

Tough to compare without being on the bike at speed, but it definitely sounds similar. Mine just is loud enough to buzz in my ears when riding to the point that I get so annoyed by it an it almost ruins the experience :(

Almost.

Just wish I had a true comparison to know for sure it's not causing any problems. I saw some vids of R1s with bad intake valves that sounded eerily similar before being replaced under warranty, but my dealer already checked the bike out and said it was the injectors.

My old fzr600 definitely sounded much more quiet with a pure engine sound compared to the fz6, but again, not a real comparison.

Does yours do it throughout the rev range? Mine is worse at about 5500-7000 rpm, at which point it is mostly drowned out, but I can hear it even at low rpms.

Thanks for the info!

Scorpio

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Think it's done it since new, but can't be sure. I distinctly remember it before putting on the scorpions an changing to Rotella at 1500.

Tough to compare without being on the bike at speed, but it definitely sounds similar. Mine just is loud enough to buzz in my ears when riding to the point that I get so annoyed by it an it almost ruins the experience :(

Almost.

Just wish I had a true comparison to know for sure it's not causing any problems. I saw some vids of R1s with bad intake valves that sounded eerily similar before being replaced under warranty, but my dealer already checked the bike out and said it was the injectors.

My old fzr600 definitely sounded much more quiet with a pure engine sound compared to the fz6, but again, not a real comparison.

Does yours do it throughout the rev range? Mine is worse at about 5500-7000 rpm, at which point it is mostly drowned out, but I can hear it even at low rpms.

Thanks for the info!

Scorpio

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I need more time to pick that out. Rain is killing me at this point. . . As best I recall its not obvious below 4k at cruise. When pulling upwards is when I hear it the most. Mine is used and new to me so I'm trying to accept that this is normal so I am just as curious as you!!!
Oh - bike has 42xx miles now. I'll keep an eye on this thread.

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
AS AN UPDATE:

Ended up replacing the Cam Chain Tensioner while I was also doing the FZ1 install and some other odds and ends.

Did absolutely nothing for the noise that I continue to hear, which definitely originates from the right side of the bike (based on the very scientific method of spreading the leg from the tank on each side and listening to change). Suggests some possible scenarios:

1.) Its normal; the injectors, valves or whatever. I'm just focusing on what everyone else hears and ignores naturally.

2.) Cam chain itself rubbing up against guides or something.

3.) Clutch plate or clutch basket.

Who knows. I'll update if I ever figure it out...;)

Scorp

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
For the first few thousands miles with my FZ6 I was always fixating on the tic tic tic of the injectors and the clack clack of the engine. I would notice it when riding if I would move my legs away from the tank. After googling the problem and reading all the other owners who have the same concerns I just started ignoring it.

I did switch from Amsoil to Motul 5100 (blend) I think it got quieter. But mainly I just gave up worrying and just enjoy the ride.