Who is this?
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAw5g8yglzc"]YouTube[/ame]

Hope you're OK!!

Last edited:

ErikNYC

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow!

Thanks for reminding me to never drive so close behind another vehicle.

Very unfortunate.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Great example that you need to pay more attention! A crash that was 100% preventable. You know when your visibility is hampered, you're vulnerable.

It's tough riding when the sun is directly in your eyes, even lowering your visor won't help as it would in a car since the visor in a car blocks out the direct sunlight. I wonder why they don't make helmet visors with a small strip at the very bottom that is completely or at least darkened to a point that it would help block the sun. That way you could use that strip to block out the sunlight similar to what a car visor would. I don't think that a small strip at the vey bottom will hinder a riders visibility when the shield is down.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It's tough riding when the sun is directly in your eyes, even lowering your visor won't help as it would in a car since the visor in a car blocks out the direct sunlight. I wonder why they don't make helmet visors with a small strip at the very bottom that is completely or at least darkened to a point that it would help block the sun. That way you could use that strip to block out the sunlight similar to what a car visor would. I don't think that a small strip at the vey bottom will hinder a riders visibility when the shield is down.

I wear a 3/4 with a face shield (full helmet makes me claustrophobic).

I also have the "3 snap visor" (that snaps atop the shield) and do have that "visor". I can tilt my head down when the sun's in my vison. Very, very helpful...

You could probably put a thin strip of window tint inside your flip down shield (on a full helmet) that could only help... :thumbup:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Or just use a drop down sun visor. And don't tail gate.

I have a Shoei, and most helmets don't have a visor that will block the sun like you would have in a car. I have a tinted shield, but it's not the same. There are some helmets that have a drop down visor inside the helmet that serves more like sunglasses, but again, it's not the same. Sometimes I have to ride with one hand, using my other hand to block the sun. I don't like to do it, but sometimes I really need to block that sun out 100%.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Strip of electrical tape, or two, on the top edge of the visor...problem solved.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
FWIW: It seemed like even before the guy was flippin his visor he lost ground. my fatal error will likely be looking in my mirror so I know who's gonna run me over from behind.

A different clip with commentary (4 lanes stateside):
A rider captures an HD lane split fail. Think Sardine - but he rides away.

Slow and steady keeps her head, tho she seems a tad rattled! Listen up....
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slMhgcwSqeM"]YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
That's the first filtering video I've seen out of the states where someone was doing it properly. I was really impressed with her riding. Then the HD pushes through and shows how it normally is in these videos.

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You might remember a few weeks back I reported that one of my co-workers had died on his ride to work.
This is apparently nearly the same circumstance in that Mark clipped a car that braked suddenly and paid the ultimate price.:(

Please be careful out there folks

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That's the first filtering video I've seen out of the states where someone was doing it properly. I was really impressed with her riding. Then the HD pushes through and shows how it normally is in these videos.

If they had filtering down here, no doubt in my mind we'd have those crashes all the time. Cages themselves, would tighten up too, trying to block any filtering.

Great video BTW, Randy. She sounds like she has her act together too.

Just a side question, did she likely have a helmet camera on and a mic piped in? It was super clear. How much recording time do you get on that/a typical unit?

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
That riding situation alway makes me a bit nervous. Riding directly into the sun like that really impairs peoples ability to see motorcycles (and other cars for that matter), Although this crash was a result of the motorcyclist not seeing and/or paying attention to what was in front of him.
I ride road bicycle with a group. We often choose our ride routes to avoid that situation where we're riding into the sun for fear that cages wont see us.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Riding directly into the sun like that really impairs peoples ability to see motorcycles (and other cars for that matter),

Agreed 100% ^^^.

My schedule is very flexible so I try to avoid riding in a particular direction(at the wrong time of day) just for that reason. And if I have to, cover brakes, count on everyone turning in front of you(defensive driving) and always have an "OUT".