• other please explain

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters

ste

Surfing the ethernet
Reaction score
Visit site
As part of my free time i volunteer at an irish charity called trocaire
I have found it very rewarding knowing that because of my work i am helping others less fortunate

Attachments

• trocaire.jpg
    trocaire.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 34

Jim Karam

Trying to Keep Up
Reaction score
www.karam.com
I'm the local chapter chairperson for SCORE, a resource partner of the SBA, whose volunteers help folks interested in starting or growing small businesses. SCORE legally stands for Service Corps of Retired Executives, although you don't really have to be retired or have been an executive... although most are. You can find more details at Free Small Business Advice | How-to Resources | Tools | Templates | SCORE or our local chapter's site Free counseling, seminars, and tools for small businesses by volunteers with real-world experience | SCORE. We welcome both more clients and more volunteers.

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
Used to be in Big Brother/Big Sister many years ago. Nothing now. My new company allows for, sponsors, and actually encourages time off to participate in volunteer work. I could see myself doing something again.

fz-sweet

Reaction score
Visit site
I am the recruitment chariman for The National Society for Leadership and Success at my campus, we volunteer for many charitables and do a lot of free community events in our area.

VUU

VW gearhead
Reaction score
Visit site
Used to do alot of volunteer work through the Boy Scouts, but these days I don't so much volunteer for organizations as I take it apon myself to clean up my environment (picking up trash from the side of the road, cleaning road hazards running a mini donation collection center among me and my friends for clothes and various sundries. Haven't had much time during the school year, and summer means trying to get as much time in at a job as possible. I am interested in volunteering more when I have the time though.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I live in the countryside and it can take up to 20 minutes for an ambulance to reach a cardiac arrest. I volunteer as a community first responder.

I am also secretary for the Parents association at my children's school (it's kinda voluntary).

Nelly

Steph

Bartender
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am doing a charity BBQ in a couple weeks for a family that adopted 4 siblings from Haiti, the 5th and oldest sibling is too old to be adopted but they are trying to get him to Canada on a student Visa. In order to do this, they have to prove that they have $21,000 in the bank for the total cost of his schooling.
I talked to the owner of the grocery store I work for and he is donating the food for the BBQ and my sister and I will be running the event so all profits will be going directly to the family to help get to $21,000 before August.

My son and my nephew are going to be selling Lemonade and cupcakes that my mother made at the local farmers market, and my sister is holding a "Jazz for Junior" musical concert/talent show for donations at the market at well.

My whole family has jumped on the "Junior's Journey" (that is the name of the charity) bandwagon.

In the grand scheme of things $21,000 is such a small number to make such a huge difference in this family's life.

ste

Surfing the ethernet
Reaction score
Visit site
our members are making a difference to the vulnerable and needy
and ive read some great stories of compassion here for others
great job and keep up the good work

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
Way cool, not a single thing you do which don't matter, from picking up trash to feeding someone hungry you know :thumbup:

I'm involved with the Toyrun (www.toyrun.org.za) which is now in it's 30th year. We focus on a massive mass ride each november end, with all riders bringing a toy for entrance. The toys are then distributed as far and wide as we can, to all the orphanages etc in our province.

Most of it is meetings and planning and dealing with sponsors etc, but i figure someone has to do that work too. I could never volunteer at these places the kids end up at ... i cry too much around them :(

Giving them a christmas party and toys seems like a good thing. Just wish it wasn't only 1 day a year.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've volunteered at MSF for 4 years before I became rider coach. I also occasionally volunteer for United Way and America's Grow a Row. Very very rewarding.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
I was an assistant scoutmaster with my old Boy Scout troop for several years, until I moved, and started school. Now that I'm done with school, I'm thinking about getting involved with one of the local troops. I don't miss the BS and politics of scouting, but I do miss seeing the boys grow and develop into young men. Knowing that you helped them get to where they are is a great feeling, especially when you've had enough of an impact on them that they ask you to speak at their Eagle ceremonies.

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
Over the last 3-4 years my husband and I have fostered over 30 puppies and dogs for a local no kill rescue group in our area. (no, not all at once!) :BLAA:
It has been very rewarding, and we will continue to do so. My avatar is usually our current foster pup.

Humane Society of Monroe County if you are so inclined to make a donation. :Flash:

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Over the last 3-4 years my husband and I have fostered over 30 puppies and dogs for a local no kill rescue group in our area. (no, not all at once!) :BLAA:
It has been very rewarding, and we will continue to do so. My avatar is usually our current foster pup.

Humane Society of Monroe County if you are so inclined to make a donation. :Flash:

I had to do a double take. I live in Monroe County as well...Monroe County, NY.

ste

Surfing the ethernet
Reaction score
Visit site

i bet you guys will make 101
great job

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I volunteer at Dorenbecker Childrens Hospital and do a toy run also for the same hospital. It is very rewarding. It makes you think about how small my troubles are compared to these kids who mostly will have a life time of them. I say a prayer every day thanking the good lord for my health and well being.

Volunteer, it's so rewarding.