Wavex crash video - Socal ride June 2013

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow. If I didn't know the end of the story before watching the video, I would have guessed that the 'Star' was a gonner. So glad you didn't go over the valley and through the woods, and your video is message to all of us to be mindful of what happens when you are too fast for conditions, especially unforeseen conditions like that patch on an otherwise perfect road.

Hope you continue your recovery and get back up soon.

Neal

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
Crash was odd. Of all the turns that was the one ridden the least aggressive/slowest. Make me wonder if he was taking a "break" on that turn and subsequently wasn't as focused so that when something unexpected happened he wasn't ready to make adjustments.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
That was very painful for me to watch. I am really glad you had such great friends near you when this happened! :thumbup:

Especially that I have ZERO recollection of ANYTHING that happened after the crash. I don't remember walking up and then sitting on the guardrail... I don't remember all the guys talking to me... I don't remember the ambulance or the helicopter ride (expensive ride for not remembering!!!)... NOTHING! The last memory I have is my front tire sliding 2 feet to the right on that patch... the first memory after that is me in the ER... with Cali Rider poring a gallon of applejuice in my mouth.... but even then, my wife told me that I could barely remember anything for about 48h after the crash... Guess my brain shut down after hitting the asphalt so hard... good thing because I must have been in intense pain considering the injuries...

Oh by the way, PERCOCET for the win!!!! best pain killer ever :BLAA:

callmegandhi

IM4TH
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you were able to make a full recovery and post the video. You are you tough SOB for taking a hit like that and being able to get up! If you don't mind me asking. How fast is too fast? From the video it didn't seem like you were riding overly aggressive.

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
How fast is too fast? From the video it didn't seem like you were riding overly aggressive.

Great question... I wasn't pushing as hard as I had in the past on that road, but I was going at a pretty good clip... probably around 70mph at corner entry. The camera location (top of helmet) doesn't translate speed as much as when it's near the ground, on the forks or something.

Anyway, almost any speed on a motorcycle is "too fast" if you're looking for minimal risk. My advise would simply to NOT ride aggressively at all on the streets. Ride for pleasure... ride with friends and cruise and enjoy the scenery. Get communicators and shoot the **** while discovering beautiful new spots... that's why I didn't crash for the past few years... it's because we've been cruising 98% of the time (and picking some key spots to have some fun the rest of the 2%... which as you can tell, eventually caught me).

Personally, I now think that's the only way to ride the streets for a long long time without issues... track for speed and excitement, streets for pleasure and cruising around...

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
They call him Mr. Lucky. Now you know why! :D

The video ends with me turning the key off on your bike...then it fades out. Nice timing! ;)

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
Especially that I have ZERO recollection of ANYTHING that happened after the crash. I don't remember walking up and then sitting on the guardrail... I don't remember all the guys talking to me... I don't remember the ambulance or the helicopter ride (expensive ride for not remembering!!!)... NOTHING! The last memory I have is my front tire sliding 2 feet to the right on that patch... the first memory after that is me in the ER... with Cali Rider poring a gallon of applejuice in my mouth.... but even then, my wife told me that I could barely remember anything for about 48h after the crash... Guess my brain shut down after hitting the asphalt so hard... good thing because I must have been in intense pain considering the injuries...

Oh by the way, PERCOCET for the win!!!! best pain killer ever :BLAA:

8 busted ribs and a punctured lung? You must have been massively winded. I'd imagine your brain was starved of oxygen so out goes the black box recorder inside.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
They call him Mr. Lucky. Now you know why! :D

The video ends with me turning the key off on your bike...then it fades out. Nice timing! ;)

Yeah David was (once again) really lucky, and despite the terrible crash it could have gone so much worse had he gone over the rail or the guy behind couldn't stop in time......:eek:
Thanks for posting the vid, you did a great job in editing it, really glad that you're pretty much healed up, take it easy, and don't be a stranger :thumbup:

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
I imagine---if not already----someday those GoPros, etc., will also record lean angles, speed, and other data. I agree that the video doesn't do justice (looks conservative) regarding the actual speed when taking on those turns.

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
Alright, good news, AAA paid the extra $1800 for the frame replacement... I had to stop by the Harley dealer today to sign the repair order... Here is the bike as of today (they didn't fix much yet, but have most of the parts):

9987761206_3a43e4c96f_h.jpg

9987762116_315789ff44_h.jpg

9987763466_619fcd2afa_h.jpg

9987764146_35c4824b25_h.jpg

9987717864_f476ff0a8e_h.jpg

Expected lead-time: 1 month! :BLAA:

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
David - glad to see that you have healed well.

HIDE THAT VIDEO FROM YOUR WIFE AND FAMILY!! Hide it now!

I agree with David on the "cruising" comments. The go-fast stuff is fun but the reward is not worth the risk, in my opinion. Healing sucks after 30 ... ;) I'm sure it continues to suck worse as one ages.

Wow, man. Wow.

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
John: part of me wishes... part of me doesn't :thumbup:

Mark: thx man... lucky I was!

And it continues: long story short, today I found out that I had overpaid my hospital bills (no, they didn't volunteer the information...) by close to $2k, which wipes out the last bill I had open, and allows me to officially close this whole "adventure".

Lesson learned: don't pay the hospital ANYTHING until a few weeks after you are out and can assess the entire bill "package", and work it out through your insurance...