wax safe for helmet?

crazy dave

Reaction score
Visit site
I am new to everything when it comes to motorcycles. I just bought a helmet the other day and was wondering if it was safe to use car wax or polish on a helmet. If not, What would be a good product to use on the shell and visor?

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have never waxed my crash helmet. I have never had the need to.

I clean the visor with warm water and washing up liquid. I used to wipe neat washing up liquid on the inside and then polish it dry with a soft cloth. It helps to prevent fogging.

I now have a Pinlock system fitted so I do not have the fogging problem anymore.

Steve

W

wrightme43

I use liquid glass auto polish on my helmet and shields.
It is not a wax though.
If it is a polish wax it will have a abrasive componet and will scratch.
If it is a pure wax it wont.
Liquid glass is a synth polymer that brings a very nice shine with no wax. It is 21$ for enough to do several vehicles and your motorcycle for a couple years along with helmets.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use Turtle wax spray-on. I remove the visor, spray a cloth then wipe it on. Let it haze and buff it to a shine. Apply shaving cream to the visor, wait a few minutes and buff that all off. Good to go!

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
Apply shaving cream to the visor, wait a few minutes and buff that all off.

Shaving cream as an anti-fog? That's a new one to me. I'll try anything once! Things I like, I'll try 'em twice... The helmet must smell nice inside afterward? :Flash:

I've found Rain-X Anti Fog the most effective chemical-solution to fogging so far, but I am trying a foggy breath shield next, at least for Fall/Spring riding. Any material, from scuba mask defog to baby shampoo works roughly equally in my experience, so the next task is to divert the culprit: my warm and moisture-laden breath.

I have used car wax on the outside of my shield. No scratches, water beads up and rolls off...not a fantastic difference, but it worked. Mother's, I believe.

There's really no practical need to treat the shell that I know of. In fact, I avoid it, out of a thoroughly unfounded and paranoid avoidance of the imagined possibility of accidentally using an application that reacts poorly with the material and degrades it.

I did notice that the two in combination can produce halos around oncoming car lights at night, but I'm not sure which causes it. It wasn't distressing enough to clean off either side to do the experiment.

EDIT: my next exterior plastic coating product to try is Plexus, supposed to be great for plastics

Last edited:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
yup should be safe, just be aware of any debris in the rag as it makes it very easy to scratch the visor with dirt in the screen.

crazy dave

Reaction score
Visit site
alright, thanks everyone. Ill be sure to try these suggestions and see what I like best. Ill post when i have my results. Maybe a poll one day?

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use Turtle wax spray-on. I remove the visor, spray a cloth then wipe it on. Let it haze and buff it to a shine. Apply shaving cream to the visor, wait a few minutes and buff that all off. Good to go!

This is new to me as well so I will pass it on.
BUT after I tell all my mates and the inside of their visors get a nice lather on in the rain...I will be sending them around to your house.

Steve

paul1149

Riding with the King
Reaction score
Visit site
I like to wax the helmet/visor weekly, as it makes the bugs easier to clean off, which translates to less abrasion to the visor. I've been using a pure carnuba cream.

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use some old Meg's spray wax on the helmets. The stuff I use on the truck and bike is machine use only.

blchandl2

Reaction score
Visit site
I use the cheap furniture polish you get at the $1 store. It is cheap, easy to find on the road, comes in a handy aerosol can, and does a great job of removing bugs. I use it on my windscreens too. Buy a yard of cotton flannel at Walmart(~$2), cut into small hand towel size pieces and you can just throw them away when they are dirty.

Reaction score
Visit site
all these detailed things for the screen lol...

i just use the windshield stuff and a paper towel at the gas station while i'm waiting for the person in front of me...works simple enough!!! :D

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This is new to me as well so I will pass it on.
BUT after I tell all my mates and the inside of their visors get a nice lather on in the rain...I will be sending them around to your house.

Steve

:rof: I hope they buff it all off! ;)

Use the old style foam, cheap stuff. The new gels that foam up don't have the same properties. It has to be applied often, but it takes very little and a cheap can goes a LONG way. I usually apply it before any night riding or cold weather riding.

Another tip is to install the breathguard or buy one if you don't have one. The trick with these is to NEVER breathe through your mouth, always through your nose. Added bonus? Sneezes don't coat the visor! :D

For those using Rain-X, be aware that this stuff is not meant for the visors on helmets OR your windscreens. Over time, Rain-X will permanently fog your plastics. I did this a long time ago with one helmet. Have never used it on anything but glass since.

rent-a-reaper

captain caveman!
Reaction score
Visit site
call me simplistic, but i've only ever used warm water, dishwashing soap and a terry cloth on the shell and I just use warm water and terrycloth on the visor :confused:

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
call me simplistic, but i've only ever used warm water, dishwashing soap and a terry cloth on the shell and I just use warm water and terrycloth on the visor :confused:

Totally acceptable and likely just what the manual says to do. ;)

The wax is just "because" :D I like to think it is less wind resistant and keeps me even faster than the red bikes.