Weird Headlight Issue

fz6joker

Damn Hooligan
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
For the past week my bike has been acting weird. Sometimes when I turn the bike on the headlights refuse to come on BUT then (after having done absolutely nothing to the bike, not even moving it an inch or anything at all) they will come on. Its like my bike is just saying yes or no to my headlights.

I have made sure all the wires are perfectly connected. I have done the dual headlight mod but every wire was soldered and taped up tight. The lights AREN'T acting like they are shorting out. Its either 100% on or 100% off.

I'm not a master electrician but I do know a little bit. There isn't anything I can think of to cause this problem.

Any ideas?

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Did you check the fuses? Which method of the mod did you use? There are several options such as BD43's harness, soldering at the handlebar, soldering at the frame, jumping to the left headlight, etc... These facts will help... :D

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Not trying to sound silly or anything, but did you "start" the bike???

My headlights don't come on until the motor is running. Turn the key on, and only the pod lights come on, after you hit the starter, headlights come on.

:)

fz6joker

Damn Hooligan
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes. I started the bike, engine on and all that lol. :spank: Good question though.

W

wrightme43

Could be a failing headlight relay. Sounds like it anyway.

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
I would simply check the plug/socket between the main wiring harness and the cowling harness first. Next would be the connection at the headlight relay. last would be the dimmer switch itself. If the lights are coming on eventually it's most likely a weak/loose connection.

fz6joker

Damn Hooligan
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I would simply check the plug/socket between the main wiring harness and the cowling harness first. Next would be the connection at the headlight relay. last would be the dimmer switch itself. If the lights are coming on eventually it's most likely a weak/loose connection.

This was the first thing I checked. I checked every connection and they are solid.

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
For the past week my bike has been acting weird. Sometimes when I turn the bike on the headlights refuse to come on BUT then (after having done absolutely nothing to the bike, not even moving it an inch or anything at all) they will come on. Its like my bike is just saying yes or no to my headlights.

I have made sure all the wires are perfectly connected. I have done the dual headlight mod but every wire was soldered and taped up tight. The lights AREN'T acting like they are shorting out. Its either 100% on or 100% off.

I'm not a master electrician but I do know a little bit. There isn't anything I can think of to cause this problem.

Any ideas?

Sounds like a relay problem to me. Do you know how to test it? (If not I could post a writeup ...).

fz6joker

Damn Hooligan
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
No, I don't know how to check my relays. A friend of mine built my wiring harness (he is an electrician) so a write up would be most welcomed.

Numpty

Reaction score
Visit site
I had this happened to me the other day and found that I had not quite turned the key fully to the right but the bike still started and was still able to ride off but with no lights what so ever.

It might be your problem solved too????

Cheers Gaz

fz6joker

Damn Hooligan
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My key has been giving me some major issues so this is a likely culprit as well. Did your spedo and whatnot come on when you did this?

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
No, I don't know how to check my relays. A friend of mine built my wiring harness (he is an electrician) so a write up would be most welcomed.

Ok,- here we go(From Haynes S&R Manual):

fz6sa-albums-tech-stuff-picture2138-headlight-relay.jpg

1 Red/yellow wire terminal
2 Green wire terminal
3 Yellow/black wire terminal
4 Red/Yellow wire terminal

Using a continuity tester or a multimeter set to the resistance (ohms) range, test for continuity between the red/yellow (1) (Positive meter probe) and green (2) (negative meter probe) wire terminals on the relay.
There should be NO continuity (infinite reststance).
Now using insulated jumper wires and a fully charged 12V battery, connect the battery positive(+) terminal to the red/yellow(4) wire terminal on the relay and the battery negative(-) terminal to the yellow/black(3) wire terminal on the relay.
Continuity (0 Ohms) should now be shown on the meter.
If not, - the relay is defective and should be replaced.

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Make sure your fuses are seated correctly even if they look right.

Remove them and put them back.

I had a fuse that was vibrating in its holder on the virago. The rev counter was bouncing all over as it connected and disconnected because it was vibrating.

Steve

Numpty

Reaction score
Visit site
My key has been giving me some major issues so this is a likely culprit as well. Did your spedo and whatnot come on when you did this?

Yes speedo and all other displays worked fine,only noticed lights etc were not working when I went to fill up with fuel.

Just another thought have you tried your spare key to see if it does the same thing?????

Gaz

fz6joker

Damn Hooligan
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes speedo and all other displays worked fine,only noticed lights etc were not working when I went to fill up with fuel.

Just another thought have you tried your spare key to see if it does the same thing?????

Gaz

No I haven't tried my other key. I didn't even consider this until you posted.

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
Did you get your problem sorted out? Just in case you didn’t, here’s my two cents.
From the picture of the wiring harness in your other post, I made some assumptions and prepared the attached schematic diagram. The diagram shows my conception of what I think your harness looks like, plus the rest of the headlight circuitry in the FZ6’s electrical system. This diagram assumes that you installed a second H4 bulb so that you would have two high beams and two low beams. When the problem occurred, did both sides act up at the same time? Did you attempt to switch from low beam to high beam, if so, did it work on one but not the other? If it affected both sides at the same time and neither high nor low would work, then the problem must be in a part of the circuit that can affect both sides and high and low at the same time. Possible suspects include: the connection from the headlight relay (the relay that is part of the bike’s standard wiring harness, not one of the ones in your harness) to the headlight fuse, the connection from the headlight relay to the ECU, the connections from the factory low beam plug to your wiring harness, relay no. 1 in your harness (as indicated on the diagram), the connection from relay no. 1 to relay no. 2, and the connections from the harness to the battery. Since most of those possibilities are within or connections to your wiring harness, I would remove it, reconnect everything as stock and see if the headlights work. If they do, then the problem is within the harness. If they don’t, then it is most likely the bike’s factory headlight relay (as I believe Wrightme43 was suggesting.)

If relay no. 2 itself, the connections from the factory high-beam plug to your harness, the high beam bulb connections to your harness or the handlebar high/low beam switch went bad, then the high beams would not work but the low beams should. So if your low beams are working when it acts up, check these areas.

If the low beams don’t work but the high beams do, the problem must be in relay no. 2 or the harness’ low beam bulb connections.

Hope this helps. If not, or if I was unclear (I have been accused of sometimes providing too much information), feel free to ask more questions.

Jeff

fz6joker

Damn Hooligan
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't have a garage and it has been raining nonstop since I made that post so I haven't been able to do anything at all for the bike.

I am amazed at all the help you guys have given me thank you so much.