Well, I guess its time for tires

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
Decided to ride the bike from Manhattan to my parents house on the island for the weekend since some out of town friends are around, and I am going to a baseball game today with a few of them. While riding, the bike started to feel a little off. Wasn't as responsive as usual, and felt a little lose in the rear. Ive gone flat once before, and this felt just like that. Expecting the worst, I looked down and back a few times on the highway but the rear tire appeared fine, so I assumed it was my imagination.

After crossing the Throgsneck bridge and getting on the Clearview expressway the bike felt terrible and I knew something was wrong. Traffic was too thick to take my eyes off the road and look back, so I just took it slow and put on my hazards. When I got off the highway I looked down and at this point it was obvious I was going flat. Limped the bike home and by the time I got there the rear was totally done.

My tires were on there last leg anyway (about 1mm left to the wear mark) so I figured why even mess with a plug. So, long story short, I already placed an order for a set of Bridgestone BT-023's which should come sometime this coming week. I got the set online for $228 shipped from the motorcycle super store which I thought was a great deal. Guess I will have to take the train to work until then :(

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Pretty darn squirrelly on flats I must say. Glad you got home safe. . . .

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
Was just outside working on the bike and realized that I had more than just a flat tire. Apparently whatever punctured my tire stuck in there for a bit and on its way around as the tire rotated, it cracked my rear tire hugger and took a big chunk out of it! Whatever it was must have been pretty significant considering the damage and the fact that there is a good inch or so of clearance between the hugger and tire.

Worst part is, I had put a good bit of work into that thing cutting it up, sanding, priming, painting, etc. Guess I will have to do it all over again.

mayassa

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad nothing happened to you, sucks to have to wait on tires to come in, but at least you won't have to worry about them for awhile.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So you live in Manhattan and ride daily? Talk about a daily challenge. I've been to Manhattan more than I can count, never enjoye the traffic. But I guess you really can make some good time on the streets versus the Avenues since a bike is much more smaller and you can get around all traffic that's stuck behind all those delivery trucks double parked.

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys, I guess I should be happy that this didn't end worse.

I do live in Manhattan and I commute to and from work in Stamford CT every day. Its about a 33 mile drive each way and the only city driving is down the block and around the corner onto the FDR. I ride every now and then in the city, but to be honest I avoid it at most times.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just be thankful that it didn't happen on the New England Expressway.

Stamford Ct, wouldn't it be easier to commute by train? People say I'm nuts at times when it comes to riding but riding up and down that corridor through Fairfield County and the expressway, you're nuts. Never seen so many damn trucks in my life.

Ben_H

Reaction score
Visit site
I rode yesterday for the first time in manhattan and Brooklyn. It was a little crazy going through china town. Me and a few friends went to a place in Brooklyn called Brooklyn motor works it is a bike shop that does tuning. I talked to the guy about getting the fz tuned.