what other bikes do you ride?

IanHoots

Reaction score
Visit site
I was thinking of an un-offical poll type of thing.

My FZ6 more than satisfies my need for the twisties and getting my knee down, but thats just not enough. I have a lady in my life who wants to get on the back, however I have to say the FZ6 is not a particularly comfortable pew for a long distance pillion.

What other bikes do you guys ride, that you could confidently say a pillion would be comfortable on? We are average height and weight.

I've been looking at some XL1200T HD's over here and some other Jap cruisers. I would like to hear opinions on a second bike that I could cruise on with the Mrs. I've ridden an VFR800 and loved it, but I'm not sure it's comfortable on the back.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A 2009 BMW R1200 GS. Her name is Pig:

_DSC0014-2.jpg

I got her not for a pillion (I ride alone) but for my own leg room on longer trips. Have you checked out the FJR?

TMAX

Reaction score
Visit site
Yamaha TMAX
KYMCO Xciting 500
Kawasaki CONCOURS 14

my pillion agrees the TMAX is most comfortable.

She agrees the FZ6 not so much.

IanHoots

Reaction score
Visit site
A 2009 BMW R1200 GS. Her name is Pig:

View attachment 67068

I got her not for a pillion (I ride alone) but for my own leg room on longer trips. Have you checked out the FJR?

Pig?

I hadn't considered an FJR, they are police motorcycles over here, but I had looked at a R1200R. I think I will have the same issue as the FZ6 on an R1200R.

IanHoots

Reaction score
Visit site
Yamaha TMAX
KYMCO Xciting 500
Kawasaki CONCOURS 14

my pillion agrees the TMAX is most comfortable.

She agrees the FZ6 not so much.

An interesting choice that the TMAX is the most comfortable. I don't think I have ever seen one in Australia. I've come off a step through once and I think I would be scared to own one.

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got a Triumph Sprint 1050st. Not had much time with her yet though.

0165b4333de61bb7cd5c00bcfb8cd533.jpg

My Mrs also isn't a fan of the back seat on the FZ6, I'm not sure if this will be much better. But we do have am airhawk inflatable pad for her now, which alleviates the pressure point problem she has.

One thing it will certainly do better is two up performance. More than twice the torque of the FZ6, and much better suspension.

IanHoots

Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe she should get her own bike. Riding pillion is no fun :(

You know I did suggest that. My mrs. can drive a manual quite well and I think would not have any trouble with a cruiser of some kind, but she doesn't agree.

I found a nice XV1900 yesterday, it looks like a land barge, but should do the job nicely

IanHoots

Reaction score
Visit site
When the hooligan in me gets to be too much, I take my '08 Tuono out for a spin.

Mmmm, Tuono. I had an RSV1000, one of the first imported into Australia. It was an animal, probably the most impractical motor vehicle I have ever owned, and the most entertaining. The fit and finish was garbage, but the engineering was world super bike winning.

I would love a Tuono, but I think it's possibly even worse for a pillion than the FZ6.

2nd childhood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Mmmm, Tuono. I had an RSV1000, one of the first imported into Australia. It was an animal, probably the most impractical motor vehicle I have ever owned, and the most entertaining. The fit and finish was garbage, but the engineering was world super bike winning.

I would love a Tuono, but I think it's possibly even worse for a pillion than the FZ6.

Yeah, I can't imagine riding on the back of one, but to pilot it? Oh yeah. I read a line where the rider said "it excites you and scares you at the same time." The fit and finish on mine is pretty decent, but I agree in that it's not the most practical of bikes, which is why I kept my FZ6.

shyamvenky

Reaction score
Visit site
I recently moved from a 2011 Ninja 650 to a 2008 FZ6.
The FZ6 definitely feels beefier. I love the sound of the inline 4 when compared to the twin.
But I do see quite a few differences in the way the bikes pull.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I still have my FZ6 which I bought brand new off the showroom floor back in 2007. I currently have 105,000 miles. But now my primary ride is my 2014 Ducati Multistrada, bought brand new last November.

20151112_113858_zpsrslcqjrc.jpg

13737649_724256377712897_1896794251284312786_o_zpslhkysdk6.jpg