Where is the donation thread?

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
Admin closed the thread...said it was time to move on. :(

1. Time to move on immediately after a fundraising effort?
  2. Deleting/closing the thread where the fundraising took place?

From my count, there was a fair amount of funds collected from good members to pay for legal fees in the fight for the forum's domain. Again, having removed the trail that this took place may give folks the impression that a clandestine operation took place. If you want to move on, simply lock the thread. At least this way, a record of what happened is kept.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

From my count, there was a fair amount of funds collected from good members to pay for legal fees in the fight for the forum's domain. Again, having removed the trail that this took place may give folks the impression that a clandestine operation took place. If you want to move on, simply lock the thread. At least this way, a record of what happened is kept.

I kinda agree with this. I know the forum is on the up and up, but donations were made and then I did not see any explanation as to what happened, just the thread disappearing. I am not saying we are owed, just would have been nice to know what happened

Admin

Staff member
Reaction score
Visit site

Thank you everyone for the donations the funds covered 3 hours of the Lawyers time. I will personally cover the rest.

Everything I am doing is the result from conversations with my lawyer....

The site is still here, I am sorry but I cannot post anymore details.

Last edited:

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you everyone for the donations the funds covered 3 hours of the Lawyers time. I will personally cover the rest.

Everything I am doing is the result from conversations with my lawyer.......

The site is still here, I cannot post anymore details.

I should have stated that I believe in this forum, the people running it, and the members who fill it with a wealth of knowledge. The move just left questions. Sounds like your lawyer made the request to cease and desist and, as you said, move on from a potentially losing battle.

Last edited by a moderator:

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
I should have stated that I believe in this forum, the people running it, and the members who fill it with a wealth of knowledge. The move just left questions. Sounds like your lawyer made the request to cease and desist and, as you said, move on from a potentially losing battle.
Couldn't agree with you more. It's the main reason I'm always hesitant on donating to sites. Rather than blindly throwing money at web sites for "operating costs", it's nice to get updates once in a while on the progress of things. I'm not one to just give someone money because they ask for it. For example: hardware upgrades, software updates, hosting fees, a big behind the scenes project, etc etc.

I do feel for and understand admin in this situation though. Legal stuff like this blows.

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I had wondered about this as well as I noticed the change of web address and posted my question on the donation thread. Not long after my post I noticed the thread got deleted. Figured there was good reason. Glad it's straightened out.

I'm just happy we didn't lose the wealth of information on this web site.

I noticed the fz6r forum is now 600cc.org, fz1 forum is 998cc.org, and fz8 forum is 779cc.org. Yamaha really boned all the fz forums.

Last edited:

bdevries

Reaction score
Visit site
I had wondered about this as well as I noticed the change of web address and posted my question on the donation thread. Not long after my post I noticed the thread got deleted. Figured there was good reason. Glad it's straightened out.

I'm just happy we didn't lose the wealth of information on this web site.

I noticed the fz6r forum is now 600cc.org, fz1 forum is 998cc.org, and fz8 forum is 779cc.org. Yamaha really boned all the fz forums.

Anyone know if the r1 and r6 forums have to change their titles too? They're still the same.

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This raises a stupid question in my ignorant mind.

Who owns the domain names, for example "600riders.com"? Was it ever purchased, and if so does it still belong to the owner?

It would be...interesting if someone decided to start, say, fz9-forum.com (since the bike is new) without realizing it a) belonged to someone already or b) would start a riot with the Yama lawyers.

bdevries

Reaction score
Visit site
This raises a stupid question in my ignorant mind.

Who owns the domain names, for example "600riders.com"? Was it ever purchased, and if so does it still belong to the owner?

It would be...interesting if someone decided to start, say, fz9-forum.com (since the bike is new) without realizing it a) belonged to someone already or b) would start a riot with the Yama lawyers.

Good point..that actually has me thinking.. If you buy a domain name, you own the rights to the name, whether it is a persons name, business name, or something fictional, no?

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Good point..that actually has me thinking.. If you buy a domain name, you own the rights to the name, whether it is a persons name, business name, or something fictional, no?

Dude I have no idea but I'm curious to find out now.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
yes and no.. i mean.. if say someone like coke came out with "new style coke" and you were to buy the domain newstylecoke.com. technically yea you bought it, but the name is most likely trademarked to coke.. meaning coke would have legal on their side as they own the trademark or trade name. they "could" sue to get the name and most likely the judge would side in their favor due to having a trademark or trade name (not to mention hordes or lawyers). that's not to say they wouldn't give you something for it, but it would be say your yearly domain fee back and more likely a thanks for the name and yea..

kinda a very simple explanation that i am sure has holes in it, but seems the most likely as to what would happen... I get companies have to protect themselves and their "name" property..

kenh

Ride Like Your Invisible!
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Everything I am doing is the result from conversations with my lawyer....

The site is still here, I am sorry but I cannot post anymore details.

Thank you for your followup, but why would you personally cover the rest, unless it is just for the time being. Corporate Yamaha probably hired some green lawyer who is out to impress his superiors and noticed that there were potentially infringements on their trademark. :surrender:
Anyway, maybe we do some more fundraising under the 600riders banner of course!

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Read about the lawsuit Nissan Motor Co has against Mr. Uzi Nissan, who owns nissan.com Nissan Computer Corporation

I remember that from years back, just goes to show you that in a lot of cases whoever has the most money in this country wins in the court system. The first judge should have thrown that case out, it was that guy's last name and he had held that domain for years. I have seen things like that happen around here with a big company or a politician bullying a "little guy" in order to get something for themselves or one of their buddies no matter what the cost. It is a real shame things like that are allowed to happen still and an even bigger shame people in power are allowed to continue in their position after pulling crap like that.