Which Battery Tender?

YZ125

Reaction score
Visit site
Can someone link me to which Battery Tender is a solid choice for my '07 FZ6? Which specific model have you had storage success with?

Thanks!

2nd childhood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the same make/model battery tender and have my '07 FZ6 on it whenever it's in the garage. I had it slow to start one time when it sat for a few weeks, thus my purchase of this. No problems since.

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
But the Battery Tender brand -- not a cheap model like I did from AutoZone. The Battery Tender brand leads that you can wire into the battery for maintenance purposes / accessories have 7.5A fuses. The cheaper brands come with wiring sans short protection.

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't use a battery tender. I do have 2 amp auto charger, that I will put on the battery if it gets weak from sitting too much. I am still using the 2004 OEM battery.

This space intentionally left blank.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Be careful with auto type chargers.
The bike has a shunt type regulator/rectifier. This means that it is in circuit with the battery at all times. When a non specific charger is used it can damage the regulator rectifier assembly if it can't dissipate any over current. The bike charging system is different from and automobile so other consideration to this different design should be taken.

Generally a bike specific charger will be regulated for this type of charging. :)

Additionally: Do not jump start your bike from a car that has it's engine running. Just use the car's battery (engine off) for a boost.

Last edited:

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
Be careful with auto type chargers.
The bike has a shunt type regulator/rectifier. This means that it is in circuit with the battery at all times. When a non specific charger is used it can damage the regulator rectifier assembly if it can't dissipate any over current. The bike charging system is different from and automobile so other consideration to this different design should be taken.

I am aware of the charging system type used in the FZ6. The charger is limited to a 2A charge rate. I am sure the r/r can handle it.

This space intentionally left blank.

durty3

2004 Yamaha FZ6
Reaction score
Visit site
[MENTION=2579]Motogiro[/MENTION]

Any additional information on bike type chargers. Looking at Battery Tender and the Norco Genius line, none of them specifically mention safety with a motorcycle shunt type r/r that you refer too.

Thanks, great info!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
[MENTION=2579]Motogiro[/MENTION]

Any additional information on bike type chargers. Looking at Battery Tender and the Norco Genius line, none of them specifically mention safety with a motorcycle shunt type r/r that you refer too.

Thanks, great info!

Most bike specific chargers will be regulated and have a means to switch to a trickle charge current at a regulated voltage as apposed to using the battery's own internal resistance to provide current reduction with no voltage regulation.

My charger goes into what's termed as maintenance charge mode and I can see that the voltage at the charger is regulated to keep the battery happy.

Probably most low current chargers made for cars are regulated today as apposed to the old brute force high current chargers with only rectification from an AC transformer. Those chargers also have little or no filtering. You can even hear the ripple (hum) on the car radio if the charger is plugged in.

If the specifications on the charger say for battery maintenance, it will probably have some type of regulation and you can, "Go and Prosper!" :)

2007Fizzer

Senior rider
Reaction score
Visit site

+1 on the Battery Tender Jr. I've used one on all of my motorcycles for over 30 years, and never had a problem starting the bikes. I keep them plugged in 24/7/365, and only unplug them to go riding. Also use one on the lawn tractor, with the same result. The only problem is when the FZ's "AGM sealed" batteries start to go bad, they tend to taper off very rapidly. Using a Battery Tender effectively masks that deterioration, so that it's harder to know when the battery is about to fail. But I've only had one battery actually die in over 30 years (I'm still running the original battery in my FZ6, as far as I know), and I generally keep my bikes 6 or 7 years, so my average battery life with the Tender Jr. has been outstanding!

I'm in the process of buying an adapter plug for the unused end (while riding) of my battery tender lead - to convert the bike's 12V to 5V and convert the plug end to a USB connection - so I can power my GPS and/or charge my iPhone. That way I don't have to add any more wiring to the FZ6, and I wasn't using that permanently mounted SAE cable anyway while I'm riding. YMMV.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I own several chargers I've bought over the years and recently.

A .8 amp charger is ok but for charging new batteries, most shops utilize an automatic 1.25 amp charger

The "Battery tender" 1.25 amp; [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-0128-1-25-Charger/dp/B00068XCQU"]Amazon.com: Battery Tender (021-0128) 12V 1.25 Amp Battery Charger: Automotive[/ame] works well and is well made(I own one).

The "BMW 1.25 amp charger" (newer version):Battery Charger - BMW Advanced Battery Charger - Gel/Lead Acid - - A&S BMW Motorcycle Parts and Accessories, I own 3. Although it looks similar to the BT, it is very different inside (definitly NOT the same) and takes a bit longer to get a "green light". More expensive but it seems to charge "deeper" than the BT.

The "Optimate 6"; TecMate Company World Wide which seems to work ok. I have never been able to get it to go into sulfation mode (advertised to re-juvinate dead/nearly dead battery-not so much. (Don't think I'd buy that again)...

I also have a CTEK 3300 hooked up to the SUV; [ame="http://www.amazon.com/CTEK-Multi-12-Volt-Battery-Charger/dp/B000FQBWCY/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1412270771&sr=1-2&keywords=ctek"]Amazon.com: CTEK Multi US 3300 12-Volt Smart Battery Charger: Automotive[/ame] It'll kick on and off over time and works fine.

Lastly, for the outside boat lift, I have a Battery Tender .8 amp water proof charger
which I use to top off the boat battery. I had to replace it once, under warranty inside 3 years.(you have to pay to ship it back). http://batterytender.com/waterproof-800-usa-western-hemisphere.html

Last edited: