Which one is better?

amirw

Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:Hello,
i am about to buy my new bike which is an upgrade from ninga 500
i am going to comute 45 - 50 miles a day and i wanted to know what is better for this purpose. V twin (ninga 650) or 4 inline the FZ6. My way to work is a crowded highway with average of 60 MPH

Thanks
AW

Jb40k

Reaction score
www.twitter.com
Hello, and welcome to the forum!

Personally I'd go for the flat 4-inline of the FZ6 over a V-twin... I always found twins abit lumpy (the SV-650 and CB500 esp!). Depends what sort of terrain your commute takes you over? My commute is mostly twisty country lanes, so the delivery of the FZ6 suits my style of riding much more than the CB500 could... You could always ask the dealers for a test ride of each bike, to see which you prefer?

You are asking on the FZ6 Forum, I'm sure the Kwakkers would have something else to say!

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
I picked the FZ specifically because it had an I4. If you are looking into 650s though, you might want to also check out the SV650. Very similar to the Ninja 650 but a lot more aftermarket for them.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The Kawi is a parallel twin, not a V - Twin. Basically your current motor but larger. Good torque, but it trails off up top where as the FZ keeps going and going. For commuting both are good bikes, but for fun I'd take the FZ any day.

The FZ also has better doo-dads; brakes, frame, swing arm, larger diameter forks, etc. Both have an antique suspension. Ninja is a misnomer here.

Personally I can't stand the way the Kawi looks, the rear shock is out of place to me. :confused:

PowellB

Reaction score
Visit site
(EDIT-Hellgate beat me to the parallel twin correction :thumbup:)
I upgraded to the FZ from a Ninja 500, and am extremely happy that I did. That being said, I think the parallel twins (both the Ninja 650 and 500) are easier to ride around town. Their power delivery is more linear, they are more forgiving, and they have (slightly) better fuel economy.

Once you get used to the inline 4 it's not a big deal, but the FZ takes a little more clutch/throttle work to stay in the power. On highways and for more sporty riding, the FZ's extra power is really handy. The brakes and the suspension are better on the FZ than the Ninja 650 as well.

If this will be a straight up commuter bike, the Ninja 650 would be a more practical/economical choice. If you want a bike that you can grow into a bit more with a significant performance boost and a bit more overall capability, the FZ is the way to go.

Personally I think the SV650 slots between the two, but the riding position isn't as comfy.

Last edited:

FazerNYC

Reaction score
Visit site
Your going to miss the seat on the Ninja 500. The FZ6 seat is not the greatest (it horrible).

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm one of the many who upgraded from my Ninja 500 (I still miss it) to a FZ6. The engine is much smoother at highway speeds and there is more power to grow into once you feel confident to rag the bike more. I rode a Ninja 650 for several hundred miles and it wasn't that much of an upgrade to the Ninja 500 TBH. I'd go for the FZ6 as you won't feel the need to upgrade in a year as you would with the Ninja 650. If you went for the SV650, you'd be happier than with the Ninja performance-wise, but it still doesn't compare to the smoothness of an in-line 4.

bigdog9191999

High-tech Redneck
Reaction score
Visit site
a buddy i work with has a 650r as well as a guy down the street that i ride with sometimes.. and not to say that it is a bad bike as i am sure it is better for some than others, but i prefer the fz.. the rpm thing is easy to get used to, and the seating postion i think is better on the fz, several parts in general just seem cheaper on the 650 , and not to say the twin is a bad motor but i really dont like the way it sounds.. the 4 to me sounds WAY better..

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Your going to miss the seat on the Ninja 500. The FZ6 seat is not the greatest (it horrible).

Hmmmm...i have ridden thousands of kilometres on a stock FZ6 seat, and have had no comfort issues, even at 105kg's in weight...

Maybe it's cause i got used to riding on a seat that was more like a plank of wood, on my old Ducati.

:eek:

Back on topic, the FZ6 is by far the most versatile of middleweight sports touring bikes....IMHO. Wins over most of the competition, mainly because of the great engine...class leading performance in a user friendly package..

:rockon:

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org

amirw

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks afpreppie04
If you already mentioned that, how is the after Market for the FZ6

AW

sideshow_downs

Finally Summer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My friend has the Ninja 650 and ive ridden it and i think the FZ is a WAYY better bike. The ninja has the supersport lean to it and i felt alot of my weight was on my wrists. The seat is tilted way forward and it felt like i was making love to the tank most of the time. (his wife) kept slidding into him and pushing him more into the tank when she was pillion) The ninja has more torque that it should have. It will wheelie in any gear at just about any speed. There is a decent after market for the ninja but if you are going to be using it for commuting i would heavely sugust against the ninja.

The FZ has a great after market. It is weel balanced in performance vs commuting terms. I have done 500+ mile rides through the mountains and wasnt sore at all in fact i even went out to a party that night. You can ride 2 up on the FZ with only an adjustment of the rear shock and you will almost forget the pillion is there. The FZ motor is calm and easy to ride anywhere or in traffic if you keep the RPMs below 8k. But once you go above 8k the FZ is a monster and can do anything you ask it to do.

The choice is yours but ive had the opportunity to ride both and felt i should share my insights

:welcome:

Zack

Reaction score
Visit site
I had Kawasaki 500 for one year (season). Now FZ6 is in garage. Would never go back to that Kawasaki. 600cc, 4 cylinders, more power, better instrumentation, overall "more serious bike".
I see no contest here but everyone is different...

Last edited:

amirw

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks alot, I belive your post hs convinced me towards the FZ
AW
:rockon:

My friend has the Ninja 650 and ive ridden it and i think the FZ is a WAYY better bike. The ninja has the supersport lean to it and i felt alot of my weight was on my wrists. The seat is tilted way forward and it felt like i was making love to the tank most of the time. (his wife) kept slidding into him and pushing him more into the tank when she was pillion) The ninja has more torque that it should have. It will wheelie in any gear at just about any speed. There is a decent after market for the ninja but if you are going to be using it for commuting i would heavely sugust against the ninja.

The FZ has a great after market. It is weel balanced in performance vs commuting terms. I have done 500+ mile rides through the mountains and wasnt sore at all in fact i even went out to a party that night. You can ride 2 up on the FZ with only an adjustment of the rear shock and you will almost forget the pillion is there. The FZ motor is calm and easy to ride anywhere or in traffic if you keep the RPMs below 8k. But once you go above 8k the FZ is a monster and can do anything you ask it to do.

The choice is yours but ive had the opportunity to ride both and felt i should share my insights

:welcome: