Who here has to pay for MSF classes, and how much?

how much do you pay for MSF course?

• $0; FREE!

Votes: 11 18.3%
  • $1-$100

Votes: 8 13.3%
  • $100-$200

Votes: 10 16.7%
  • $200-$300

Votes: 23 38.3%
  • $300+

Votes: 8 13.3%

• Total voters

robronaldson

Reaction score
Visit site
Washington DC doesn't have their own MSF courses, but you can take one in VA and it will still waive your need to take the skills test at DC DMV (you still need to take the written test, but it's a joke).

I paid $349 for a MSF course in VA two years ago, and they supply their own bikes and helmets. I'll never forget the bike they gave me - a Suzuki Marauder 125. It was amazing.

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Washington DC doesn't have their own MSF courses, but you can take one in VA and it will still waive your need to take the skills test at DC DMV (you still need to take the written test, but it's a joke).

I paid $349 for a MSF course in VA two years ago, and they supply their own bikes and helmets. I'll never forget the bike they gave me - a Suzuki Marauder 125. It was amazing.

$349 wow! And they gave you your M with taking the course on a 125? In IL we had to use bike over 150cc to get the class M. Lower than that and it woulda been a class L.

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
$349 wow! And they gave you your M with taking the course on a 125? In IL we had to use bike over 150cc to get the class M. Lower than that and it woulda been a class L.
Yeah I think it's the same where here now, if not like 200cc or 250cc or higher to get the full blown M license

Hey Eric, does the BRC2 reward one with an M endorsement?? Like could I bring my friend and he would get a waiver for the M?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah I think it's the same where here now, if not like 200cc or 250cc or higher to get the full blown M license

Hey Eric, does the BRC2 reward one with an M endorsement?? Like could I bring my friend and he would get a waiver for the M?

Most of our bikes are Suzuki GN125 and you absolutely get a full M endorsement if you do the whole course on it and pass :thumbup:

If you go for the test at DMV (called MVC in NJ) on a bike with less than 500cc, your license will be restricted, so that's another reason to do BRC.

Unfortunately, no. BRC2 does not come with a license waiver. It does come with a completion card which is good for insurance discount (bike AND car) for 3 years.

robronaldson

Reaction score
Visit site

Yeah, I got my class M - had to take the written test, which was a joke. And obviously, the many hours worth of waiting at the DMV nearly killed me.

I still think about that 125...you never forget your first. :p

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
O-H-I-O

The state added $4 to each registration (to pay for getting the program off the ground) in the mid-80's and started offering classes in '89 for free. Early 2000's they started charging $25 because people would take a seat and not show up. A few years ago they bumped it to $50 for all courses because the dept of public safety started stealing money for other programs. Private providers charge more for the classes. Same instructors, same curriculum. It's $395 for the privilege of doing it on a Buell Blast thru H-D dealers. Same instructors, same curriculum plus the "harley experience" and introduction to the motor clothes line. ;) For the BRC and BRC2 through the state, we provide bikes and helmets. If you want to ride your own bike (under 500cc) you must get approval. That's for the BRC and BRC-RR. BRC2 is on your own bike and you can have a passenger. ARC is on your own bike and no passengers. BRC and BRC-RR will waive the state's exam. All qualify for discount at some insurance companies, usually 10%. OH, and we use the MSF's curriculum. Not all states do.

For $50, it's a bargain. I wish they had something like this when I started riding.

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
The first thing I tell anyone that says they want to get their motorcycle endorsement is to take an MSF course. We get a discount on our insurance in Nevada if you take it, besides the beneficial skills and knowledge is invaluable. I might have enjoyed dirt bike riding more if I had taken a course instead of having my husband teach me. He has been riding for years but he didn't know how to teach me to ride.

My son had ridden dirt bikes since he was 7 years old. When he was 16 we took the MSF course together. He got his driver's license and two weeks later we got our motorcycle endorsements. We used Honda Rebel's in our MSF course. They provided helmets too but we brought our own. Yuck!! I don't want to wear a helmet someone else had been sweating in. I guess if you didn't have your own helmet that would be OK. On the riding test, my son outscored Harley riders that had been riding for 20+ years. It was pretty funny.

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
In victoria -austrlia we have to do a basic course as a oart of the learners permit i loved getting back in a bike fir mine and felt compelled to get my son into a bike familiarisati on course and he dropped the bike 5-6 times but went on a few weeks later for the learners, failed and did a follow up and passed. He got his licence and has dropped his bike 3 times through in experiece - all the stuff i did in the dirt yearsback

The only experience i think he has that i dont,(apart from years riding) is being clipped by a cage. The more you can do on a track to familiarise yourself with a bike and any riding situation has to be good

my iPhone post using Tapatalk - sorry for any shpillong mishtooks i has fat fingies

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The first thing I tell anyone that says they want to get their motorcycle endorsement is to take an MSF course.

I do the same thing! People always ask me to teach them how to ride. My response is to take the MSF course. That and if they don't own a bike they sure as hell aren't riding mine!!

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I really want to get a dirt bike and well, dirt bike. I feel like that will be a fun new way to improve my riding and a somewhat more forgiving scene

stetsonxd

Reaction score
Visit site
I took the MSF BRC a few years back and it was $250 here in NY. Ive had experience with dirt bikes and all that but it was a worthwhile class that helped me a little. Great class for anyone who have little to no experience on a motorcycle.

Being able to use the supplied bikes is awesome. You wont beat your self up dropping it and you learned from your mistakes.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A note about dirt bikes: the students in BRC who have dirt riding experience are always at the top of the class, in terms of motorcycle skills, but a critical part of BRC is the classroom where students are taught how to be as safe as possible on the street.
That's not something one generally picks up from dirt riding.

Some of the *bad* habits of dirt riders we usually try to fix in BRC:
- Rear brake only. (or not nearly enough front brake)
- Leaning the bike over while keeping body upright (fine for slow speed, but bad for higher speed).

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There has been quite a bit of discussions with dirt bikes. Depending on the region you live in, there might be a MSF sponsored dirt bike school offered in your area. No testing, age or equipment required. A great opportunity for the entire family to get their feet wet in off road riding. Everything is supplied and the school is conducted out in an area where dirt bikes are welcomed.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
FWIW: Oregon as of today...
TEAM OREGON Motorcycle Safety Program – Rider Training and Skill Development

Basic Rider Training (BRT) $199.00
Intermediate Rider Training (IRT) $169.00
Rider Skills Practice (RSP) $99.00
Advanced Rider Training (ART) $150
^^ From Here: Get Your Oregon Motorcycle Endorsement – TEAM OREGON Motorcycle Safety Program

For those around the PDX area or south there of: ART is done on a go cart track like so!
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIvg9J0zmTw"]Team Oregon Advanced Rider Training - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
At my recent MSF experienced rider course the instructors were talking about the fees some have to pay to take a MSF course. They had said most states require students to pay quite a bit of money; some upwards of $200!

I was honestly surprised by this as Illinois offers the course for free (they said IL is one of two state who offer for free). There is a $20 place holder fee, but it is fully refundable (or, as most do, including myself, donate the $20 to the organization). This goes for any of the courses offered; not just the BRC. I thought to myself, "wow, this screwed up state of IL is actually doing something right!" Hopefully they don't catch on. They're so broke they'll squeeze us for everything.

It made me curious to see who has to pay, how much you are required to pay, and what state you live in.

I know there are some instructors on the site with an abundance of knowledge about the organization so hopefully they'll chime in. :thumbup:

I had mine from Pennsylvania, for free.
The bikes are provided with fuel, gloves and helmet, all for free.
I'm surprised when I first learned other states charge you some fee.

In North Carolina, Harley Davidson or MSF charge approximately same price, around 200$, 1 hour class first day, then a 9-5 saturday and sunday.

Still the 200$ is worth, as the premium per annum will vary based on this certificate.
As for advanced rider course, I'm learning with trips to Tail of Dragon, brown mountain, BRP etc. ;)